Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam Daze - Korendagen at Paradiso!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The highlight of my last trip to Amsterdamned was Korendagen, which i absolutely bumped into by chance and absolutely loved. It not only brought back my youthful experiences at the infamous Paradiso but made me feel young looking at the crowd and performers - and no one was smoking anything - most unusual for this venue!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM

They are on on the 17th and 18th of January this year. And should be smoke free again, by law this time, though the law is widely ignored, even by places like Paradiso.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Meant to add I'm off to see a real oldie on the 20th - Bill Wyman!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Well let's hope Bill is alive and well by then!

Korendagen at the Paradiso

I had visited the Paradiso often in the 70s in my more youthful visage - it was along with the Melkweg (Milky Way) two (in)famous city of Amsterdam Youth Culutural Places with the focal point of live entertainment.

The Paradiso, just off the Leidesplein, was strictly for music and was a former church that was converted to one rather large concert venue. At that time house hash dealers were allowed to sell their wares in both the Paradiso and Melkweg and in the days before the profusion of coffeeshops many folks went there just for that purpose.

But as i grew older and the admission fees to both venues became rather pricey i rarely paid to get in - especially for music that was too avant-garde for me, an old-time rock and roller.

But one night last January i was wandering by the Paradiso and popped in and saw the 2 euro sign by the ticket window and so for a few euros i was happy to once again go into the Paradiso just to see what was going on.

And what was going on was Korendagen - or, i think, Chorus Days - all day on a weekend.

And when i entered the Grote Zaal, or main room i was totally blown away by seeing everyone in the audience as old or older than me - all old geezers who were members of choruses - Barber Shop type choruses to me. And yeh not a cigarette lit in sight at a time when smoking was still allowed in such places - quite different from the heavy haze of tobacco and cannabis smoke in the heady days of the 70s.

And then unfolded a simply wonderful evening where once again like years ago i stayed to the wee hours.

TBC

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Korendagen = choir(s) days. All sorts from barbershop to gospel, shanty to classical, folk to modern, anything really.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes Hetismij - the choirs were rather eclectic in musical selections. What was fun for me was that many had picked Beatles, Beach Boys Abba and Rolling Stones songs in a choral form - the Ferry Queen still reverberates thru my mind. The crowd would be lip sinking along with these usually 20-40 member choirs.

It was nice to see these old geezer choirs doing their renditions of classic rock songs.

'when i'm 64.....'
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM

If I wasn't doing something else that weekend I'd be tempted to go after all you've said!
I'll just have to singalonga Bill and his cronies a couple of days later
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes and i am not a fan of choral music in general. But these choirs, from all over the Amsterdam region, just sung only the old favorites from our youths.

'Barb, Barb, Barb
Barb Barb ber Ann' still resonates so lovingly in my paint-addled brain.

Just such a positive experience.