Amsterdam, Brugge, Paris in 9 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please offer suggestions for a 9 day trip.
This is our tentative schedule.
Amsterdam 3 nights, Brugge, Belgium 1 night on our way to Paris. Paris 5 nights.

Question: Is 3 days Amsterdam enough? Should we just do Amsterdam and Paris and skip Brugge? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Having just completed a similar trip (1 night Brugge/1 Brussles/2 Amsterdam/7 Paris) I would suggest 2 nights in Amsterdam and add one to Paris. Don't skip Brugge all together, it's worth a look. It really depends on what exactly you want to do in Amsterdam but there is just SO much to see and do in Paris.

Here's a link to my trip report, in case you're interested:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34836796
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will look at your trip report.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:13 PM

I suggest you stick with your original plan. Yes, there is much to see in Paris, but there is also much to see and enjoy in Amsterdam. If you like art museums, Amsterdam has some of the finest on the planet. If you enjoy strolling and window shopping and just relaxing over a cup of coffee in an historic cafe, Amsterdam is one of the finest cities in Europe to do just that. Don't neglect to take a canal tour of the city, and if you can, stay in the canal district. There are many affordable B&Bs and also nice hotels.

I am not a fan of Brugge, so I would say skip it. I would especially say that if you are not going in one of the nice weather months, since touring Brugge is very much an outdoorsy affair. However, if you have a yen to see an extremely well preserved, almost fairy-tale northern European antique town, with castles, swans, timbered-houses and cobblestone squares, Brugge is just that -- and the food in Belgium, wherever you go, is divine. Drink the beer, taste the gin, try the chocolate, eat the mussels. Tasty!

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Please don't skip Brugge. The previous poster described it well and you will not regret it.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:34 AM

Here's another vote to stick with your plan - and IMO don't miss Brugge. The previous description is accurate and it would be such a nice contrast to Paris and Amsterdam, especially sandwiched between the two.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all!! I appreciate you taking the time to help!!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I think your itinerary is good. I've not been to Brugge, but perhaps next time! I don't think you have to worry about 3 days in Amsterdam being enough, just think of it as A visit, not necessarily THE visit. I've been there many times and still haven't seen the Anne Frank House and the Red Light District. There's always next time.

On the other hand my list of things Still To Do in Paris almost outweighs the things I did. Note to self, must return soon!

Here's the link to my trip report of Amsterdam and Paris from May 2006.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34811752