Amsterdam, Brugge/Bruges and Paris in 7 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an American couple in our late-twenties and will be traveling in March.
OK yes, I know it's a LOT to fit into 7 nights. I have been to Paris and Amsterdam a few times each, and to Brugge/Bruges once, but DH has not. He hasn't been to Europe yet and this will be his introductory trip. We will surely return to all of the above.
How would you divide up 7 nights between the three? We may add on a night in Iceland at the beginning of our trip depending on flights.
My first attempt at an itinerary:
Arrive AMS at 7am. Spend 3 full days in AMS, taking the train to Brugge the morning of Day 4. One night in Brugge, take the train to Paris on Day 5. Spend 1/2 of Day 5 in Paris, two full days in Paris and then fly back the morning of Day 8.
Any thoughts? I definitely want to see the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam, and take DH to see the Van Gogh museum, Vermeer paintings, windmills and tulips. I loved Brugge and would like to spend a night there. (6 years ago, I spent a few hours there on a cruise sidetrip with my parents.) In Paris we would likely see the Eiffel Tower and other highlights, spending the rest of the time wandering around the streets.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Liz
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As you say - you &quot;<i>will surely return to all</i>&quot; of them so it probably doesn't matter much how you work it out. But for me - I'd cut one day from A'dam and add it to Paris.

Actually, if it WAS me I'd either spend the whole time in Paris -- <b>OR</b> -- I'd do a few days in Amsterdam/the Netherlands and a couple of days in Belgium.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:34 AM
ira

Hi Liz,

When you visited Amsterdam, Brugge and Paris the first time, did you do all 3 in one week?

I suggest that you either visit Amsterdam with a daytrip to Brugge OR
Paris with a daytrip, but not both.

You will lose 1 day arriving and departing and you will lose one day transferring from A to B to P.

That's almost 1/3 of your visit spent in transit.

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Hello Tim and Liz,
You have chosen wonderful places to visit! Which of the two big cities are you most anxious to visit? Trying to do all in a week doesn't do them justice, even if you've been to these places before. If you do want to do this, fly to Paris for three days, take the 2hr. train to Brugge, stay a night, then take the train to Amsterdam. I think Brugge is so fabulous, though, that it seems a waste to stay just a night. When I was there I rented a bike and biked the canals...we biked to Holland for the day!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who have replied. Of Amsterdam and Paris, we are more looking forward to Amsterdam.
I have previously visited Paris, Brugge and Amsterdam all as day-long sidetrips from a European cruise. Additionally, I have spent 5 days each in Amsterdam and Paris, with an additional 3 days in Paris a different time.
I want DH to see Paris and to spend more time there myself. But I have a feeling he would enjoy Amsterdam more and there is much I have yet to see in all of these places.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 09:10 AM

I think it sounds fine for what you want to do. A full week in Paris still won't be enough time to see 'everything'... your goal seems to be an overview-type plan that will include to distinctly different but very beautiful cities, and a little extra treat for the Bruges stopover.

Flying into Paris and out of Ams is no different than doing it the other way around. Personally, we fly into Amsterdam often as the start of our trips because Schiphol is a great airport, the train service is superior and it's just easier.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Travelnut. You seem to &quot;get&quot; our goal for this trip.
I like your screen name too.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:52 PM

Well, I'll be even more self-serving and say that we did a similar itinerary in 2002, however we spent 9 &quot;hotel nights&quot; not 7.

1 overnight to Amsterdam
2 arrived Amsterdam (not our 1st time)
3 sightseeing in Amsterdam; bike rentals
4 daytrip to Enkhuizen / Zuiderzee
5 train to Brussels
6 daytrip to Bruges
7 train to Paris
8 Paris
9 Paris - daytrip to Fontainebleau
10 Paris
11 Return flight to US