COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam - Bar recommendations for this weekend please!

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,

6 early - mid thirties men are heading to Amsterdam this weekend and we are looking for suggestions for decent bars to spend the night in.

On a mad party animal scale where 1 is having an orange juice and home by 9pm and 10 is 4 hours in coffee shops, followed by some even more illegal drugs, followed by sex shows followed by a visit to the oldest profession followed by 4 hours on e in a club I would say we range from 4 to 7s. All a bit bland but still a bit of a pulse.

Ideally would like a chilled out place with some cool music, preferably rock or decent dancable music. An abundance of chatty attractive women would of course be a major plus but given that most of us are now hitched less important than it would have 7 years ago on our last visit!

We are staying near the station (in a hotel called Greenhouse Effect) so on Friday would be looking for a somewhere close to "home" there.

Saturday we are going to the Boom Chicago comedy club in the evening and I think that is a bit south west from our hotel (Leidseplein I think?) so somewhere around there would be great.

I've been reading the forum and it seems we rather missed a trick and the following weekend was really the one to be in Amsterdam for. Such is life I suppose, maybe I will remember when we come back 7 years from now again!

Also can anyone think of any coffee shops where we could sit and watch the world go by on saturday afternoon? Fancy doing a bit of people watching and might sample some of the local stuff

Thanks a million

Ali
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM

For people watching and a fun afternoon....

If you want to include a stroll at Albert Cuyp Market, the Katsu coffeeshop is wonderful. www.katsu.nl
Great staff and their lattes are actuallt really good too.
Try isolator.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM

Try "Amnesia" and if this past weekend I spent in Amsterdam is any example..you're going to have a LOT of competition for those five women in that coffee shop.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM

Have look at what is on at Paradiso - www.paradiso.nl for some music and booze, but nothing more that that. The site is in Dutch but you can probably work out who's on when. You can usually get tickets and membership at the door, unless there is a big name on.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

As an fyi we really liked the Waterhole, good band and decent crowd and also liked the Golem bar. Old fashioned boozer with a load of really cool brews.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM

I agree with BigChiefAlly about the Waterhole. No admission, but the last few times I was there they insisted that I check my coat for $1 Euro. I will be in Amsterdam the first week of September. If you really want to see what the Waterhole is like just search for it on Youtube. It is a great down to earth roll & roll party bar with a much used dance floor. There is music 7 nights a week, and some nights are dedicated to blues.