AMSTERDAM AND THEN?

Apr 1st, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

AMSTERDAM AND THEN?

We are planning a 7-10 day trip to Europe this summer.

We would like to start in Amsterdam and then travel to some other cities? Possibly ending up back in Amsterdam to fly home.

Any suggestions? There are 3 of us - 2 adults and teenager.

Best weeks in summer? Weeks to definitely avoid?
Apr 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM

hi, xenonian,

would you consider open jaw flights [into one place, out of another]? eg you could do into Amsterdam, out of Paris.

also, with a teen you might like to think about some activity such as cycling, especially in Holland.

What do you like doing? what is your budget?

regards, ann
Apr 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
nbujic

If you have to go back to Amsterdam, Belgium would be a good choice . (Brugge, Brussels, Antwerp..)

Apr 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM

Hi xenonian,

I'll be in that part of Europe this summer, too, and asked for some side trip advice on the Netherlands. Their ideas were brilliant - see here:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34968139

They also recommended I go to Bruges (Brugge) and Brussels in Belgium.

If you don't mind packing in the sights, you could spend a couple of days in the Netherlands, go to Brussels, Bruges, Paris and then make your way back. If you have a car, even better - I'd hit some of the smaller towns.

As for weeks to avoid, they'll tell you to avoid the entire summer (or at least get air conditioning). Paris is basically on vacation in Aug., but then June & July are packed. Whenever you go, book soon... I'm booking for August and hotels are already going.

Have a great time!
Apr 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM

There are simply loads of cities and countryside worth exploring in The Netherlands alone. So maybe a visit to the following web site will give you some more clues as to what to see. There is far too much to list here.
http://www2.holland.com
Trains are easy clean and cheap. When you arrive somewhere hire a bike.
Having lived in The Netherlands, and the wife is Dutch; we can assure you will not need aircon there. Most daytime temps. peak in August at about 25 deg Centigrade and the humidity is not very dry.
As with everywhere in Europe the most of the population seems to be on vacation during August. But no where closes.
Donít forget that if you arrive at one city and depart from another it may cost more for your flights.