Search

europe travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:30 AM
rex

europe travel

<BR>I am going to Paris and Amsterdam, with side trips to Brussels and Brugge.I am going for 14 days from Boston in early November. I know that the weather is rainy but that is the best time for me to go.<BR>Should I fly to Amsterdam or Paris first?<BR>Second is one day enough for Brugge and should I go to Brussels at all or skip it? <BR> Thanks in Advance.<BR> Rex

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:12 AM
SA

I'm not a big fan of Brussels. Someplace you might try is Maastricht or Delft. Rotterdam is also supposed to be a happening place now though I have no experience there. Bruges is an easy day-trip from Brussels. I would concentrate most of my time in PAris & Amsterdam. I would alot a week for Paris & slpit up the rest.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:27 AM
elvira

Fly into Paris for 6 days (gives you time to include at least one day trip); train to Brussels for two days - use one day to go to Brugge. On to Arnheim for the Van Gogh Museum and animal park for 1 day, finish up in Amsterdam.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Nicole

I don't think one day in any place is worth it - not enough time to soak up the atmosphere, even in small towns. I haven't spent time in Brussels, but loved Brugge when I was there last summer. We spent 3 days there, which worked for us as we wanted a leisurley pace (our next stop was Amsterdam, which we knew would have a more hectic pace). <BR><BR>My opinion is skip Brussels and spend 2 days in Brugge - it will give you some time to relax and slow down in between the larger cities of Paris and Amsterdam.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Sjoerd

Doesn't really matter if you "do" Paris or Amsterdam first. Try to get open-jaw tickets and just take the flights that are cheapest/most convenient for you.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:34 PM
Betsy

I also would fly open jaw and start with which ever way is the cheapest to fly. I'm not a fan of Amsterdam and thought 3 nights, 2 full days was enough. I do think exploring some of the towns outside of Amsterdam is worth it. I too would skip Brussels, it has an historic center, but I don't find it remarkable. I think two nights is needed to give Brugge justice, its a beautiful and unique town. Quasimodo tours gives great day tours of the surrounding area. I would give a minimum of 4 full days to Paris.Brugge to Paris takes about 4 to 5 hours of travel point to point if you take the high speed Thalys and you should. Its 90 minutes between Brussels and Paris and an hour on a local train from Brussels to Brugge. From Amsterdam, you'll change in Antwerp to get to Brugge.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:02 PM
Martine

Hi Rex<BR>If you have only two days to spend in Belgium and you want to see both towns, than begin with Brussels and end with Brugge. Most tourists generally prefer Brugge. There are lots of special places in Brussels, but in Brugge you can do everything walking. It is more cosy and you won't feel the rush of the capital.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:21 PM
carolyn

Rex, don't skip Brussels. It is worth it just for the Grand Platz--it's the prettiest square in Europe.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 02:40 PM
A'dam

Have you been to Europe before? Or any of these places?<BR><BR>I ask only because I went to Amsterdam for the first time this summer (my fourth trip to Europe) and was not that impressed. I'm usually very open minded in travel and can see the good side of everything, but Amsterdam was a tough one for me. (I'm single female 48 american if that matters.)<BR><BR>Ahhhhhhh now Paris I could spend a couple weeks there no problem. Maybe an overnight train to Venice for a few days and back. Ooops that would be my trip, not yours ;-)<BR><BR>Are you flying or taking the train between the three places once you land? I was unclear from your original post.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:40 PM
rex

Hello:<BR><BR> I am flying from Boston-Amsterdam<BR><BR> train or car to Brugge back to<BR><BR> Amsterdam flight to Paris Boston Or<BR><BR> Boston--Paris flight then flight to<BR><BR> Amsterdam, train or car to Brugge <BR><BR> back to Amsterdam to Boston. Rex