Search

Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam

My husband and I will be in Amsterdam for 4 days at the end of April. It is our first time there. We need suggestions of which sights/activities we shouldn’t miss. Unfortunately tickets to the Anne Frank house are already sold out. Help please!
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 09:01 PM

If you don't have a guide book, which you should, one trivial way to find out what to do is to do a google search for "top 10 Amsterdam" look for TripAdvisor listing of top 10 things to do. While the lists often contain some doozies, the list for Amsterdam, minus commercial items, is not that bad of a starting point for those who don't know where to begin.
If you are into gardens, the Keukenhof gardens just south of Amsterdam is open in this time frame.
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Do your 4 days include the 27th, ie King's Day? In that case, prepare yourself for one huge street party in Amsterdam.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:33 AM

There are several famous museums of course but one of my favourites was the Museum of Bags and Purses, sounds crazy but it was so interesting..the whole history of using bags etc. Google tassenmuseum.nl. Also the Tropenmuseum is another totally different sort of museum... sorry but I get bored looking at painting after painting..but having said that The Van Gogh museum is great. If you feel you'll be seeing heaps of museums then get the pass, which you can buy at your first museum, otherwise just pay as you go.

It it took me a couple of visits but I finally did the canal tour, always a good thing to kick off with perhaps. There is a free walking tour from Dam square everyday, that's also a good start to get the feel of the place. Just don't think think Amsterdam is all about the central area which in my opinion is ghastly... go down to dePijp area and Jordaan area, just do masses of walking, catch the little ferry to the northside and have a wander. Hire bikes out in the more country area, cycling in Amsterdam itself is not for the faint hearted... been there, done that, fallen off.... Vogel Park is nice for a cycle though...

Get a guide book and see what appeals to you..
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:49 AM

There is no excuse for being clueless about what to do and see anywhere these days. There are guidebooks, there are websites, there are videos, all easily accessible. If you can find your way to Fodors you can find your way to a wealth of information on anywhere in the world. You haven't even said what draws you to Amsterdam or what might interest you there. Those of us who have been there might have totally different interests. Take charge of your own travel. The canal tour and free walking tour are good ideas.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by nwbniteowl
Unfortunately tickets to the Anne Frank house are already sold out.
If you were not able to purchase regulare tickets for AFH, you can try to purchase tickets to the Introductory program. These tickets include entrance to the museum and will be availble two weeks in advance.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your help so far. We will be arriving in Amsterdam on King’s Day, at the end of a river cruise. I do have several guidebooks and videos, have checked Trip Advisor, and have been talking with friends who have been there. I wanted to check here because I have gotten great advice for other trips in the past. Sometimes the ideas and suggestions are a little different from what is in the guidebooks. We don’t have that much time, and there are many things to see and do. I am just hoping to hear everyone’s top must-see picks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:02 AM

What are you interested in. Also, be aware that King's Day means "massive street party". Depending on the weather, but be prepared for a lot of druk people, especially at the end of the day. Where do you dock?
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 05:46 AM

Since you are already on this website, why not use the information in its Destinations section to gain context and frame your questions? Here, I will save you the work of clicking on the Destinations menu button above:
https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/netherlands/amsterdam
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 12:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to Amsterdam for 4-5 days without knowing much about it. I bought a copy of "Let's Go Amsterdam" which did a great job for me. I had nothing planned except my hotel reservation (Hotel Kap) and how to get from and back to the airport (Connexxion shuttle bus).

I walked around a lot. The flower markets, Leidseplein square, Tropenmuseum (it was a rainy day), Vondelpark, Red Light District and one of the 'sex museums'. What i didn't do that I wish I had was one of the canal boat rides.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 01:25 PM

OP, if you discover specific things you want to do, sights you want to see, almost always, we can recommend something that will make it more interesting, stuff "we" know exists for Amsterdammers and Dutch people generally, but that is somehow never on the radar of tourist guides.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 12:27 PM

like the best coffeeshops?
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 12:34 PM

Let's Go Amsterdam (guidebook I mentioned) tells you that too. It has an "only in Amsterdam" section for stuff like that.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by suze
Let's Go Amsterdam (guidebook I mentioned) tells you that too. It has an "only in Amsterdam" section for stuff like that.

Nope.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 01:56 PM

Menachem - suze was talking about stuff that only found in Amsterdam not just things that only Amsterdaammers really know - like red-light district or coffeeshop/energy shops.

Last edited by PalenQ; Mar 23rd, 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 02:31 PM

Correct. I was referring to PalQ's post #12. no insider secrets like you can help with. just sections in the guidebook that include the pot shops, etc.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 02:44 PM

Did anyone mention Keukenhof? Dang, I will miss it by 4 days, I arrive on the 17th, but it should be pretty good when you are there. Checkout the site. https://keukenhof.nl/en/ I also love the Van Gogh museum and Vondel Park. It is kinda fun to walk around Leidseplein and find a restaurant to eat in. A Canal ride is a true classic. Enjoy you visit
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 03:58 PM

IMO be sure to get a canal cruise that also goes out into the harbor so that you can see Amsterdam from the water as so many sailors have thru the years.
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 10:54 PM

Right! Canal cruises. But instead of that, you can have this:

https://awesomeamsterdam.com/vuurtoreneiland/

In the article they're still writing about the old situation, when all this was only possible throughout the summer months. But there's a "winter edition" now too.

And there's more!

(sorry suze, others)
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 11:24 AM

And you can last I knew still hire pedalos to do your own canal putz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -