Amorgos and Santorini, Greece

Jul 6th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Paige

Amorgos and Santorini, Greece

Hello!
We're planning on getting married on the Greek island of Amorgos next fall and I was wondering if anyone has been there? We're going to stay at the Aegialis Hotel. Has anyone stayed there? We're also planning on spending 3-4 nights in Santorini. Can anyone recommend a romantic hotel there with a balcony overlooking the caldera? Thanks!

Jul 6th, 2000, 07:06 AM
irma

Congratulations. I am not familiar with the island of Amorgos, but I have been to Santorini, which 13 years later I still believe is the most beautiful place on earth. I stayed at a hotel overlooking the caldera, with a balcony, and every night we would watch the sunset on the caldera, sipping wine and eating pistachio nuts. If memory serves, I believe it was called the Atlantis or Atlantic. Good luck and enjoy!

Jul 6th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Robin

If you're staying in Oia on Santorini (which I definitely recommend for romance!) consider Katikies Traditional Settlements (http://www.katikies.com/index.html). They are the whitewashed dwellings cut into the side of the hill, and all face the caldera and I believe all have balconies. It also has a beautiful "infinity" pool, which you can see photos of in National Geographic Traveler (about May '98). We LOVED this place!

Jul 6th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Bobby

I am honeymooning in Oia, Santorini in a month and have done extensive research of the place. I settled on the Perivolas Villas in Oia as the perfect place. I narrowed it down to Perivolas and Atlantis, but after talking to people on the net and seeing the pool of Perivolas featured on the cover of Conde Nast Traveler, I chose Perivolas. The website is <www.perivolas.gr> if you would like more info. Also, because many hotels do not accept credit cards, I booked through the Dolphin Hellas travel agency in Athens (dolphinhellas.gr) so I could use my card. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions about what I have discovered through months of research on either Santorini or Athens

Jul 6th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Paige

Thanks everyone! I'm still hoping someone has been to Amorgos...

Jul 10th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Steven Bird

Just stayed in Fanari Villas in Oia. The best!!!

Jul 10th, 2000, 08:18 PM
candy

for perivolas i couldn't get thru to the www.perivolas.gr website mentioned above, but i did find it at http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...volas/home.htm

Jul 10th, 2000, 09:54 PM
Diane

There are many wonderful places to stay on Santorini. I loved Sun Rocks Villas in Firostephani. Oia is also an excellent choice. Please check out my website for photos of the island:
http://sites.netscape.net/dmykonos
The rest of the site is under construction (and has been forever) but the part on Santorini is complete.

Jul 10th, 2000, 10:54 PM
Lia

I spent a month in Greece last May and took the ferry from Naxos to Amorgos. I had planned to get off at Katapola but slept through the stop and fortunately woke up in time to get off at Aegali. The boat arrived at 3:00 a.m. so I took anything I could get. I can't recommend a room because I just had time to rent a bike (moto) and ride around the island before taking the Hydrofoil to the next island. The view of the monastery is awesome and I felt it was certainly worth the trouble to get to the island. Next time I will spend more time there. The people were very, very nice and quite helpful. The Lonely Planet recommends your hotel and I have found their recommendations to be pretty accurate. Have a wonderful time!

Jul 11th, 2000, 12:04 PM
heather

Amorgos - our favourite island - can't understand why you haven't been inundated with replies. O.K., it doesn't have the grandeur of Santorini, but then where does? We have been visiting Amorgos for the past 8 years and always seem to end up back again, despite all our resolves to try somewhere different. This is Greece as it used to be - donkeys, friendly people, low prices etc.

The most magical experience is to land at Katapola, the principal port and a nice enough place, and go by bus or hotel transportation to Aegiali, the location of your hotel. If you arrive before sunset, you will travel over the spine of the island with wonderful views of the islets and islands in the sea below you. Failing that, disembark at Aegiali itself at night, with the villages of Tholaria and Langada apparently suspended in the air above the harbour.

We have never stayed at the Aegialis Hotel, but have visited for post- prandial drinks and it has the most amazing view of the harbour. We always stay at Lakki Pension, a sister (literally) and more modest establisbment on the beach. It is owned by the Gavalas family, as is the Aegialis, and the food and hospitality are unequalled. We have come across a web-site for a walking holiday firm which gives a very good overview of the island and your accommodation at http://www.amorgos.dial.pipex.com/

Anyway, have a great time. If you have any questions or require further information, please don't hesitate to contact us. Incidentally, if you want to cut short your stay in Athens on your return journey, we would recommend Agistri, a mere 2 hours (1 hour by catamaran) from Piraeus. Stay at the Agistri Club (website: www.AgistriClub.com) or the Alkyoni Hotel - if you're interested, we can look up the telephone numbers.

Regards,

John and Heather