American going to Europe for the first time

Notices

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I need some advice, I am going to be studying in Spain this summer. My boyfriend, who looks VERY American, wants to visit me and then we are planning to travel around Europe (Italy, Greece, France). Since It's my boyfriend's first time out of the country at all he's worried that he might be targeted by thieves and people who are Anti-American. I have tried to reassure him that if he is positive this will not happen...however I am hispanic so I do not look American. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions, also cities that would be worthwhile to see. Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Exactly what does an "American" look like? Seems I see all sorts of Americans every day..all colors , all ages ..ever heard of the Melting Pot?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:57 PM

All you need to do is be aware of your surroundings. Locals are also targeted by pickpockets - granted, not as much as tourists are - but if you are vigilant and take proper precautions you will be fine. Being American does not mean you will be extra-targeted. Don't worry and have fun!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM

You should ditch that boyfriend and then it won't be a problem

it's a non issue honestly.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM

jody asked: "Exactly what does an "American" look like?"

Big white teeth.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM

...as opposed to the English...
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, he just looks like a stereotypical american, so looks different as opposed to Spainards or Italians and doesn't necessarily blend in very well.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM

no problem...just send him on the fodor's look-and-act-like-a-european course. he'll be taught to look and act like a european by fully qualified american europhiles in just 4 quick and easy posts. after his training he'll be asked directions by REAL european locals (the holy grail of the europhile) or he'll get a full refund.

if it fails, it still will entertain...there's nothing more amusing than an american trying to teach other americans how to look and act european.

but really, don't worry about it. europe is full of tourists from all over the world. there is no 'special treatment' for americans.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Well if he goes out of his way to look and act like an American it's possible that he may attract more attention from pickpockets - not beause they're anti-american but because he's making himself a target.

I don;t know what an "american" looks like - even if he's super waspy - how does that look different than Englaish, German, Scandinavian etc.

What he needs to do is not wear silly clothing so he stands out (baseball caps and university tee/sweatshirts) and pay attention to his surroundings - just like tourists of every other nationality.

If he doesn;t believe you have him read these posts - perhaps that will convince him.

If not, perhaps he's too paranoid to leave home.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Animals can read fear in their victims faces. Travel in confidence. Violent crime in European cities is much less than in American cities. Neither of you should worry about "anti-American" actions.

The biggest danger in Europe is pickpockets and baggage thieves, not muggings. Guard your stuff at all times and never trust a helpful stranger in a public place.

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM

There is a certain percentage of white Americans that are easy to classify as "American" just by the way they look, not by the way they dress. Since (almost) everybody's an immigrant, it's hard to tell where this comes from.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Sorry, he just looks like a stereotypical american, so looks different as opposed to Spainards or Italians and doesn't necessarily blend in very well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you simply must be ______ me.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:51 PM

How does a 'white American' in Europe present differently from the way an Australian does?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM

Hey, thieves don't care where their victims come from. They just want their money.

Anybody who thinks it's just Americans who are robbed hasn't been out of America enough.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Americans are favourite targets for thieves because they are perceved as being rich (and they do carry a lot of sellable stuff like ipods digital cameras etc). But so do all other tourists. I'd be at as much risk as your rather poofy boyfriend because I too am a foreigner and as such more likely to be bewildered etc.

Just behave like you would in a town at home and you'll be fine.

Incidentally it is true (no matter how much people try to deny it) that you can easily spot the yanks in Europe - they do look american (see my many post son American Hair for instance). They all dress EXACTLY the same.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:00 AM

Walkinaround,
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:00 AM

adeben asked: "How does a 'white American' in Europe present differently from the way an Australian does?"

The American wears a sweatshirt; the Australian wears a rugby shirt.

Next question.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:02 AM

He definitely NEEDS to come to Europe.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM

adeben asked: "How does a 'white American' in Europe present differently from the way an Australian does?"

The American wears a sweatshirt; the Australian wears a rugby shirt.>>>>>

The American wears boat shoes - the Australian wears flip flops.

Both consider shorts to be formal dress.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM
tod

Carlatte - Are you quite sure he wants to visit? Sounds like excuses to me.
Maybe he's an only child and mommy's bending his ear?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO