Amazing Race 9 Week 3

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing Race 9 Week 3

Finally an episode that makes me want to visit the place the teams are visiting.

The monastery looked incredible! What a shame the teams couldn’t take some time off and really tour it, or watch the performers at the theater.

Keith
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:01 AM

We have a trip to Russia planned for this spring. It was great to see Moscow. I thought it was generally an interesting episode with the taxi drivers not knowing where the tram place was located! There is so much luck involved in doing well in the race, not just physical ability.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

It seems like the producers usually make the last couple of legs of the race depend more on physical ability.

Keith
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:01 AM

It was fun to watch last night, having just visited Moscow last summer, including Novodevichy convent/cemetery. I have to admit - the AR5 stop in St. Petersburg a couple of years ago is one of the things that jump-started planning for that trip (not including the part about eating the kilo of caviar, of course).
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Who lost...I fell asleep....again!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
It was a To Be Continued leg...they got an additional clue at the mat instead of finishing the leg.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Why do they have to pick guys like "Lake" and many others before him that verbally abuse their wives/girlfriends. I hope she back-hands him one if he calls her a b**ch again.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Thank you amyb!

I also dislike "Lake", but I'm sure it's good for ratings. I actually find myself not liking many of the couples this season, they dug deep into the barrel for this group. For the first time I am rooting for MANY of the couples to loose instead of my favorites to win...anyone else feel like that this season?
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:54 AM

I really like this season of AR, but it annoys me that they are still "equalizing" the winners by having the next task not open for hours.

Lake and Michelle annoy me soo much. Jeremy and Eric are a clsoe second on the annoyance level. I'm glad that this episode was TBC...I did not want them coming in first!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Odd, this is the first race where there is no one I hate. I don't care much for Jeremy and Eric, but I don't think they will be around till the end anyway.

Lake makes me laugh. Much as we hear him mouthing off, I'm sure it the wife that is in control of that couple.

Keith
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't like Lake either. His wife told him to take the right turn in Brazil, but he wouldn't listen. Then he got nasty with her!!

I don't like the timed bus thing. The racers are the only ones on these busses. It would be more interesting if they had to get transport on their own.

Stay tuned.

MY
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Having watched the show since the first Season (IMO the best Season, and it had different rules) I find myself liking the teams this season the most out of all the following seasons. I think its great to see them all enjoying themselves and goofing around, and none of the teams appear vindictive or catty (yet) or ganging up against each other like in recent seasons. They all seem like pretty decent people. I’ve never seen anyone cry so tearfully at the elimination mat like the one sister did last week.

Yeah, Lake does have his moments and he is getting the villain edit, but there’ve been far worse before him.

This is wishful thinking but wouldn’t it be a funny and fantastic ending to have the Nerds and the Hippies (my favourites right now) in a foot race to the finish ! Ha ha .

In the first Season, the teams had their choice of any kind of transportation from place to place. The clue envelope simply said something like “ Make your way to Frankfurt, Germany and find the statue outside the main post office where you will find your next clue”.
For overseas flights, they were given a credit card but they had to map out their own routes and connections from A to B. So you sometimes saw them poring over maps and timetables making notes etc. before they walked over to the airport ticket counter to book a flight. Seats were not reserved like they are now.
For local transportation, same rules: some took trains while others a bus, or a cab or a rickshaw to the same end destination - it was their choice, based on how much money they had left over and whichever they thought was the fastest way.
As a result, rarely did more than one team end up on the same plane, train or bus as another. As a further result, the teams rarely saw each other en route or even at the activity stops which meant that they never knew where they were in the race: first, last or in between, (of course, the viewers always knew). It made it vastly more exciting for us to watch, and the teams were less gripey with each other, and more grateful for help. In such circumstances, it was to a team’s advantage to try and travel with another team or at least keep them in your sights. The downside : Teams were often so far apart (by 5 – 12 hours, or even longer) that you knew who had a chance or none at all. Besides, it must have been a nightmare for the production teams to manage all of this. Phil sometimes had to leave one spot in order to get to the next stop in time to receive the first team to arrive there, before the last team had arrived at the previous stop.

Even at the ending, the first team had already crossed the finish line in New York when the third team was starting a task in Alaska. They opened their clue envelope to read that the race was over.

However with so much more randomness to the Race, I enjoyed it far more, and the Racers had to work much harder and smarter to get from place to place. There was a natural bunching up when they got to sites that had opening and closing times but under those circumstances of the race, this bunching was welcomed.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:02 PM

sandy travelnut: i agree with you. i can't stand lake, he's so arrogant. and HE got them lost trying to find the zip line place.

i love the "hippies" - they're cool dudes and the only people to take one minute out of the race to take in the serenity of the monastery
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I wondered when they all picked the same Lufthansa flight whether they already had seats reserved for them. It obviously was too big a coincidence. I agree, it was (is) more exciting when they have to figure out themselves which flight to take. That kind of thing tests logic and travel skills, and IMHO is just as important as the physical tests.

I thought it was a good episode though. I'm rooting for the Hippies!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Topping for SuzieTrue
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:14 PM

I am rooting for the Nerds!

I am also glad the very loud sisters are out. I knew they would trouble me when they showed off their Bedazzler in the first episode...
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Loved seeing Moscow. The shots of the band and dancers at the roadblock site with the Russian dolls were sweet and funny at the same time.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Thanks Barbara!

What was neat about this week's show was how team placement changed throughout. Yes, we don't like everyone catching up, but it does make for more interesting interaction. I loved the Hippies jumping at the "Boys" and riding the VW. Or the "Pinks" forgetting the fanny pack in the dressing room.

Jumping from a 10 meter platform is quite daunting. My daughter jumped from the 7 meter platform at dive camp and got to stand on the 10 meter. Remember to add your own height to the 10 meters for what it really feels like at the top.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Ah-ha...I found the thread!

I thought Tuesday's episode was great - I didn't notice the time and got caught off guard by the "to be continued"! so it must be good! I seem to recall that usually it's done later in the season so it's good to see them mixing it up for the racers.

I'm really enjoying this season - good detours, roadblocks, not many teams to dislike (Glamzilla's, Lake), multiple teams to like (Hippies, Nerds).

Like bondgirl78, I noticed that the Hippies seemed to be the only ones who stopped to admire the amazing cathedral, also the only ones who were completely respectful of their surrounds and opened the clue outside. I found it boorish how some of the other teams were running in, seemingly talking loudly and tearing into their clues right there.

I think the Hippies are a hoot like in their VW scaring/jumping scene.

I used to like the older couple but now I'm finding them a bit annoying with all continual moaning and groaning.

Enjoy-la!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:26 AM

I noticed that about the hippies too and even commented to my husband that they were the only ones to take a moment and see the beauty of the monestary. They also have the most incredible, up-beat (and off-beat) sense of humor and attitude. I really felt bad for the Mom who was afraid of deep water. I have a fear of water too, not quite like that, so I know how she feels.

So, if you're watching the episodes (and previous seasons) with someone, do you often discuss which detours you would do and not do? And which roadblocks you would choose?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -