Reload this Page >

Amateur Needs Help Planning Trip to Germany, Portugal and Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:46 PM
lisa

Hi Everyone, <BR>I'm not sure I have the Fodorite lingo down, but here goes my best shot: <BR>BTW--Is this a good time to say I'm not a troll (I think that's a negative thing) and toptoptop (I think that might be a good thing but not sure)??? <BR>ANYWAY... Based on the facts below, would you recommend that we just break down and visit a travel agent, book one of those conventional tours (contiki, etc--or any other recommendations from Fodorites? goahead vacations is already booked for the times and places we're interested in) OR, do we have hope of planning a wonderful trip on our own? <BR>--Husband and I will be traveling from Los Angeles to Germany. Not that it's close, but we then want to visit a couple cities in Spain (probably Madrid, Barcelona maybe San Sebastian)and Portugal (Lisbon plus maybe one other city). <BR>--Actually, order of cities we visit is flexible. <BR>--Germany portion of trip is semi-mapped out because husband has been there before, and we will eventually need to be in Munich sometime in July for a meeting. <BR>--Departure date at the beginning of July, need to return before August. (Yes, of the current year, 2001--I know, I'm starting to get gray hair just thinking about how little time we have to plan this big trip!) <BR>--I'm getting really confused trying to figure out the following: which city to fly into; taking inter-European flights from city to city vs. trains; open jaw tickets, etc. <BR>--We don't need to stay in 5-star hotels, but just want some place clean and comfortable. I'm starting to learn a little about paradors in Spain (and Portugal?) but have a long way to go. <BR>--We've decided that the timing of this trip in our lives is worth going into a little debt, but not too much. We're trying to travel on a medium-sized budget. <BR> <BR>I've been reading this message board for about a month and have been thrilled with all the questions and responses--even places I'm not really interested in! You guys are the BEST and I'd really appreciate any friendly and helpful advice. Thanks a million!!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 04:52 PM
Linda

The only question I can find is whether you should take a tour or have hopes of planning a wonderful trip on your own. Yes, if you want to go on your own, you have every chance in the world. One time I took a trip to Germany with four hours advance notification, and I had a wonderuful time. This is certainly not the way I want to do it every time, but it proves you CAN if you have to. Many people go without any reservations at all, trusting that Tourist Information will help them find something when they get there. Although you've left planning a little bit late, you should still be able to find places to stay, etc., with minimal problems. Having said all this, I'll leave the help with your trip planning to the real "experts" on this board.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:27 PM
Philip

Hi Lisa, <BR> <BR>First off in Fodorite lingo, when someone tops a message it is to bring a message to the top of the list of messages on the left, thereby getting a little more attention than one that is buried 300 messages down. <BR> <BR>Tour vs. on your own. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Tours are good because they get you into all the places that tourists want to see and tourist attractions cater to tour groups, so that means that you usually go to the front of the line at these attractions. With tours you don't have to worry about where to park the car, etc. Tours get group rates and are cheaper than on your own. The downside: the meals on tours are not the best (I took a tour of Germany and we had pork 4 nights in a row), sometimes the hotels are miles from any civilized life form (bring a good book!), and you are stuck riding in a bus with Americans who are cranky because Europe doesn't put ice in their Coke. Sometimes at the end of tour you have seen so much that it all becomes mish mash in your brain. <BR> <BR>If you are doing it on your own, you have the freedom to choose where you want to go, when you want to go. But that also means that you have to do the research involved in how to get around and where to sleep and eat. On your own you don't have an informed tour guide giving you information and you have to wade through several pages of a guidebook(s) to understand what you are looking at. But on your own, you have more of a chance to mix with the locals and hear it from their viewpoint. <BR> <BR>I hope some of this helps. I'm going to post another reply on what I know about Germany. <BR>

Old May 4th, 2001, 12:22 AM
Philip

Lisa's trip to Europe Part II, or what I know about Germany. <BR> <BR>The times that I've gone to Germany, it has been cheapest to fly into Frankfurt. I've flown from NYC and I always take Singapore Airlines. Singapore is usually a bit cheaper than the rest and their staff has always been wonderful, even to us cattle in coach. (There seems to be a certain respect for the customer that is sadly lacking at other airlines). <BR> <BR>Frankfurt is an easy to manage airport and has direct train service into the city center. The problem with flying into Frankfurt is that it is the most boring city in Europe. <BR> <BR>I always recommend taking trains in Germany. They have an excellent, reliable train system. You can buy a rail pass in the US from a travel agent which will allow you unlimited travel on the days you designate. This is a good deal because it allows you to hop on and off anywhere you like. <BR> <BR>Berlin is a great city to visit and it is going through a wonderful renaissance. Some great things to do: visit the Reichstag, walk down the Ku-Dam and Unter den Linden, shop at KaWeDe, see the remnants of the Berlin Wall and visit the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. The difficult thing about Berlin is that it is stuck in the northeast part of the country, kind of a long journey. <BR> <BR>Munich is a wonderful city and I suggest that you spend several days there and take daytrips by train. You can easily take daytrips to Rothenburg, Oberammergau, Garmish-Partenkirchen and Salzburg Austria. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg is a town that has been kept in tact since the Middle Ages. It is fortunate that these buildings weren't destroyed during WWII. However it is also "tourist central". Every tour bus has this on their list of places to go. And stores like Kathe Wohlfahrt keep that in mind (how many are there in Rothenburg? I think 7?). In the evening, when the tourists leave, this town is more inviting. <BR> <BR>Oberammergau is a quiet village known for its woodcarvings. There are several shops that sell handcarved wood figurines in all shapes and sizes. <BR> <BR>Garmish-Partenkirchen, another quiet village, has a wonderful cable car ride up the Zugspitze which is Germany's tallest mountain. On a clear day you have a wonderful view of the Alps. <BR> <BR>Of course Salzburg is known as Mozart's birthplace and the filming of the Sound of Music. <BR> <BR>If castles are your passion, you have two excellent specimens in Neuschwanstein and Linderhof. (When you think Germany, you think Neuschwanstein.) Neuschwanstein is very crowded with tourists and I have always felt that the tour was rushed because of it. Also on the grounds is Hohenschwangau Castle. If you plan to see both, it will probably take 3-5 hours out of your time. There are also restaurants and gift shops on the premises. <BR> <BR>Linderhof is also a beautiful castle, actually more hunting lodge. You can get a city bus to the castle from Oberammergau and it's a nice ride. <BR> <BR>Those are my favorite places in Germany. If you have the time, money and energy you might also want to visit the Black Forest. Some wonderful towns like Freiburg and Triberg offer exciting glimpses of this beautiful region of Germany. <BR> <BR>I would recommend Earl Steinbicker's book "Daytrips Germany". He gives good advice on picking a home base city and all of the destinations within that region.

Old May 6th, 2001, 08:59 PM
chris

hi, I know zip about Germany - I'm making my first trip there this year myself... and I think the responses you've received so far are wonderful (I think I'll print them out for my own reference!) <BR> <BR>I might just end up repeating previously given knowledge but.... I would plan my own trip if I were patient with myself. What I have found traveling other places is that prearranged trips (tour groups) are easier because you just go where you are told. You are also usually 'taken care of' and have a person around who speaks your native language (english from your post)... I've never gone on a tour but my Dad did - to Palestine/Egypt/Isreal... and I'd probably use a tour group for there myself... at a couple of places the government supplied them with armed guards... I'm adventurous, but I would like to live to go on other adventures! <BR> <BR>What I have learned is that things usually take me longer than planned - particularly if I must find a translator or look up words in a dictionary... finding a restaurant can take up the whole evening, of course, that's some of the fun for me. I've gotten lost, got the timing wrong for laundry services/buses/etc, gotten blisters from walking too far because I thought the ruins or whatever were in a different direction or were closer etc... so I have learned patience. <BR> <BR>If I travel somewhere reasonably safe, I'd rather go on my own. If I'm traveling through war zones (like my dad) I'd like a professional tour (those armed guards sound nice). <BR> <BR>Good luck