Amalfie coast/Rome vs Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I need some help here. Last year we did Venice, Milan, Cinque Terra, Tuscany, in October. Loved everything about it - food wine, beauty and even the weather cooperated. We are planning our next October trip (last 2 weeks in Oct) and are so torn. Spain (not sure where) or the Amalfi Coast /Rome. Something about the desriptions of the food in Spain (stews, and heavy foods) leaves me less than excited about it, and I really love Italy. My husband wants to see Barcelona and Sevilla, But.. What's your thoughts.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 02:43 PM

Heavy foods here ? Yes, there are heavy foods in the northern and central regions because traditionally they have a long very cold winter and heavy foods helped But here were I live , at the Mediterranean our food is far from "heavy". Yes, you can find it but our diet is mainly rice (paella),pasta (not as good as in Italy but we love it and eat it frequently) salads, vegetables, fish ..what they call mediterranean diet. So you won't have any trouble to find not so heavy foods in Barcelona or Sevilla, spanish traditional food is very different in each region, and, anyway, you can eat almost whatever you want everywhere.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM

I wouldn;t do the Amalfi coast at the endof October - too much chance for chiily, rainy weather and possibility of things shutting for the seasons, fewer ferries due to bad weather etc.

In October I would do southern spain - weather will be warmer (not beach but warmer) and the entir area os fascinating.

We did not find the food heavy - although not as good as Italy - I just got sick of olives with everything (but that's my particular mania). There does tend to be more of some meats (ham, lamb etc) but you can still get plenty of chicken and fish - and the food isn;t especially heavy (try central europe for that with the boar, venison and goose in the fall).
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Try the Costa Brava(Rugged Coast), going north out of Barcelona. You can take a train that stops at all the towns along the coast. We also took a train from Barcelona down to Valencia. What a fun city. We spent a month in Lloret de Mar and had fresh fish almost everyday.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:53 PM

Hi, SBROWNELL!

I've been to both areas you are considering and can share some insight with you.

The rainy season in Italy, especially the South, is generally mid-October through November.

In the cities of Spain that you mentioned, you would find somewhat sunnier weather.

Let the weatherman be your guide. There's always www.weatherbase.com

Enjoy your travels wherever they take you!
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 06:55 AM
ira

Hi SB,

For late Oct, I suggest sunny Spain.