Amalfi--worth trip for 1-1/2 days?

Jul 3rd, 2000, 07:16 AM
Gladys

Amalfi--worth trip for 1-1/2 days?

Hello again everyone!
Our trip to Italy for October is almost set: Venice 3 days, Florence 4 days (with one-day side trip to Pisa&Lucca), Siena 3 days (with Chianti side trips), Rome 4 days.(We have all our hotels reserved.) Originally wanted to spend 2 nights in Amalfi Coast. Paulo had suggested we travel by train from Siena to Naples and on to Amalfi. We almost decided against Amalfi, but are still longing to see it. Is it worth the trip for 1-1/2 days? We're thinking of cutting Siena down to 2 days and traveling to Amalfi that third day and arriving at our hotel in Rome in late evening instead of early morning. That would give us a little more than a day in Positano or Ravello. Is Amalfi worth the effort? Should we try to reserve in Positano or wing it? We would be arriving there end of October. Please excuse the long post. Thank you for your help. I appreciate all your input so much. Regards to all.
Gladys

Jul 3rd, 2000, 08:18 AM
howard

From someone who did just that last November, I say it can be done and is worth it! Whether it's worth taking away time from Siena, well, that's up to you. We did a two-day trip from Rome, with stops in Pompeii (half-day), Sorrento, Amalfi, Ravello and Positano, where we stayed.
In November, there was no problem getting rooms. I'm not sure about October.

Jul 9th, 2000, 02:41 PM
gb

I thought Positano must be the most beautiful place on earth. Someone on this forum mentioned that Amalfi is even more beautiful. I'd take a day off Venice. I don't know if I was just too tired from the flight over, or that the heat and humidity of Venice was too overwhelming, I was not enamored with the city. Others seem to disagree.

Jul 9th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Jim

I'd make sure you spend a day in Napoli,it's so wonderful. You could take a train to Sorrento early in the morning,takes about an hour. Rent a car and drive the coast to Amalfi and back,if you can handle narrow winding roads.You could also take the train to Salerno and rent a car and drive it to Sorrento.Or just take the bus rt from Sorrento to get a flavor of the beauty of this region.Too bad you couldn't alot more time. You'll want to come back.

Jul 10th, 2000, 05:50 AM
Ross

Hi Gladys!

I would skip Pisa altogether, and spend that extra day in Amalfi. I took the boat from Amalfi to Capri, passing by Positano. It's a BEAUTIFUL ride!!! Florence is WONDERFUL as well, but by no means is Pisa an equivalent to the Amalfi coast.
Enjoy!!!

Jul 10th, 2000, 09:56 AM
kam

Suggest you take one day away from Venice and one day away from Siena and go down to the Amalfi Coast. When you are in Florence, go only to Lucca and skip Pisa. I prefer Positano to Amalfi but both are beautiful. I would book a hotel in advance, just to be on the safe side. October is just on the cusp of the tourist season and this is a very touristy area.I would not spend a day in Naples. It's an interesting city, but you really don't have the time.

Jul 10th, 2000, 11:16 AM
amg

Gladys,

I think the answer to your question would depend on how you like to spend your time. It you love museums and shopping (the shopping is great all over Italy) then 4 days in Florence is good. It you prefer towns and architecture, I would borrow a day and night from Florence for Amalfi and Pompeii. With a well planned day you can see the three top sights in Florence without a problem - the cathedral and both museums. Pisa is the only town I was disappointed with in Italy. It was a half day trip just to take a picture of the tower, which a year ago was surrounded by construction. It is also the only place were we felt overwelmed by the gypsies. There are so may beautiful places in that region but again it depends on your groups likes.

The Amalfi coast is one of my favorite places - the views and the people are spectacular. Pompeii affected/inspired my imagination much more then the forum in Rome. It gives real insight into how people lived in that time.

No trip to Italy can ever include everything and you have planned a great trip. Since you going in late October you could be flexible with the middle of your trip. Booking hotels in Seina and the Amalfie coast should be much easier in mid to late October.

Have fun!
Aileen

Jul 10th, 2000, 07:23 PM
BillJ

Ditto skipping Pisa. Buy a postcard and save the hastle. I also rank Amalfi and Positano as one of the most beautiful and romantic areas on earth. We stayed in Positano, had a scrumptous meal in Amalfi overlooking their small square, and drove that very "exciting" road several times. Day toured Ravello, and made the trip to Vietre Su Mar for Italian pottery to die for (according to my spouse). When I return to Italy, I'm not sure where else I will go, but I will go back to Positano.

Jul 11th, 2000, 02:04 AM
Michael

Gladys-

My wife and I went on atour last summer in Italy which left out the southern part, so we decided to a go a few days earlier and stay in Sorrento. We tried to book in Positano in the San Pietro, but it was booked. We loved it! The views from Sorrento are marvelous. We drove to Positano and walked all around it was beautiful. I thought Amalfi was even nicer that Positano. The drive to Ravello was also very nice. Make your reservations. I think it is worth trying to steal an extra day in the south. It would be a shame not to have time to enjoy Capri...
If you really are efficient you may be able to steal a day perhaps from Florence.... just a thought

Enjoy

Jul 11th, 2000, 08:20 AM
lisa

Could someone who has been to both compare Amalfi to Positano? Many have expressed a preference for one or the other and I am curious as to what the differences are. Is one more expensive, one more picturesque, one smaller, etc.? How to choose which one to stay in?

Jul 11th, 2000, 11:11 AM
rob

Great question.

Amalfi is more genuine and historic (one of Italy's 4 great medieval maritime republics). Also smaller. Wonderful cathedral.

Positano is more glamorous, and has lots and lots of clothing shops. Positano has much better beaches, especially Fornillo.

Amalfi seems to be centered around a main square, with buildings built into the hills/mountains rising a block or so away from it. Positano seems to have one major road that winds from the beach up and up and up.

Amalfi is more convenient to Ravello. Just get a bus from Piazza Gioa on the water and enjoy the half hour ride up. From Positano, you'll have to take the bus to Amalfi first (about an hour) to get to Ravello. No huge hardship, though, because that bus ride alone is scenically worth every dime you have spent on your entire vacation. I would suggest staying in Amalfi, and going up to Ravello one afternoon for lunch, a stroll, and a visit to the Villa Cimbrone. On another day you could take the bus or a boat to Positano. Stay at the Cappuccini Convento - charming, historic, friendly, and with views that will make you cry.

I'm partial to Amalfi, but both are ravishing. You will never want to leave. Carve a day each out of Florence and Siena and give the time to Amalfi. Another thought - 4 days in Florence. Rent a car on one of these days. Drive down the Chianti Road to Siena. Lunch, walk around, go up in the tower, and then get back in the car and drive to San Gimignano. Walk around, have dinner, and drive back by autostrada (at Poggibonsi I think but I can't remember) to Florence. That gives you 3 days in Amalfi instead of just 1 1/2, and also gives you a nice though brief taste of Tuscany. Florence does not need more than 3 days unless you are an art historian, in which case Florence needs about 5 years. Tuscany is very pretty, but it's not the Amalfi Coast. Don't worry about the hotel reservations - it's only July, and you're not going until October, so they probably won't mind too much if you cancel.

Have a great trip.