Length of stay in Paris?

Jul 7th, 2000, 07:36 PM
carol

Length of stay in Paris?

PLanning a trip to France in mid-June of 2001. How many days should I plan to see sights of Paris?

Jul 8th, 2000, 02:48 AM
sally

i don't think i would every have enough time in paris!!! if this is you first time no less than a week.

Jul 8th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Kristin

Obviously, this varies from person to person and your individual interests. We spent 6 days in Paris, out of a 20 day France vacation. Considering how many wonderful places in France there are, I think this was about right, but you could spend more and not be sorry. I wouldn't cut it under 4 full days in any case. That would be minimal unless you just tear from place to place and don't even go inside! If you like art museums, 4 days would be way too short.

Jul 8th, 2000, 06:23 AM
wes fowler

Carol,
My first trip to Paris many years ago encompassed three full weeks. The first week was devoted to the "touristy" things - the Eiffel Tower, Arc d'Triomphe, Louvre and Notre Dame. The second to the exploration of neighborhoods - the Marais, Montmartre, Latin Quarter, Boul' Mich, Ile St. Louis, Belleville. The third week to the museums and sidewalk cafes and liesurely strolls along the quays browsing at the book stalls. I've been back many times since and still find new surprises and delights.

Jul 8th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Deborah

I agree with Sally. We are going there the first of August and plan on a full week. This is my daughter's first trip and I plan to see some things I missed on my first week-long trip. I plan to get to Versailles for one day and hope to take a side trip to Chartre.

Jul 8th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Donna

Our first trip was seven days and our trip this June was for ten. Not long enough! Try to schedule your days Monday thru Sunday or thereabouts. The Carte Orange weekly pass is SO convenient!

Jul 8th, 2000, 07:12 PM
Bob Brown

We were in Paris last year for 5 very full days and evenings. We left the hotel by 8 and usually were not wound down until after midnight. By the end of the 5th day, I was ready for a break!! So we took one by going on with our trip to Switzerland!
If you want to visit places outside of Paris like Chartres, Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Fontainebleau, and Giverny (train to Vernon), I don't think 8 days are enough!!
The Louvre is huge and after about 4 hours I am at a saturation point. The Musee d'Orsay is nice, but again, I get saturated.
One thing about our 5 day run last year, it gave me the incentive to return this coming September for an encore visit.

Jul 8th, 2000, 08:32 PM
elvira

3 days if you want to just hit the high spots (Notre Dame, Louvre, Sacre Coeur, Versailles, Musee d'Orsay, Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides, boat cruise on the Seine) and spend the minimum time at each.

5 days if you want to hit the second tier: Rodin Museum, Conciergerie, Pere Lachaise, the department stores - and spend the minimum time at each.

7 days if you want to see the above more in depth.

10 days if you want to get the real feel for the city, and spend some wandering time.

Jul 9th, 2000, 05:57 AM
sally

i know everyone has their own opinion and i don't want to sound like i'm criticizing or being negative, etc. however, elvira lists the rodin museum on the second tier. i would definately put that at the top. these are MY reasons---others may disagree. the rodin has a beautiful garden surrounding it (and i love gardens so this is why i put it at the top). many of the statues of rodin scattered throughout the garden including the thinker and the gates of hell. inside the museum is not so overwhelming. museum d'orsay i also enjoyed but did not do the whole thing because it was too big and i will return. didn't even go to the louvre--i know, everyone thinks it's a crime that i went to paris and didn't go to the louvre. from everything i heard it was just so huge and i just decided i couldn't do it all in 7 days---plus after being there one day i knew i would be back. so maybe i'll make it there next time!! no matter what you do, i can't imagine you'll be disappointed.

Jul 9th, 2000, 06:24 AM
elaine

My first trip was a week, including a
2/3 day to Giverny and a full day at Versailles. Barely enough time left in Paris, but just enough, to hit the usual highlights. The Louvre is a half day (unless you just want to see Venus and Mona, and then leave), the d'Orsay is a half day, for me the Marmottan was/is also essential and was almost a half day including transport. With meals and the occasional stroll, I would recommend at least one week. Yes the highlights that everyone mentions (and we all have some in common, and some particular favorites) could be squeezed into 3-4 days (not counting Versailles) but if you have the luxury and budget for a week, don't skimp. You will still leave with a list of things you didn't get to.

Jul 9th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Robin

Carol--

Something that you're probably gathering from all the other posts here is that there's a LOT to see, do and experience in Paris. The problem in limiting a trip is how to balance the different aspects of a wonderful trip, and you'll probably never get it completely right, so you'll have to come back!

Unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you'll love Paris, I would not plan a long visit for the first time. It can be overwhelming and like all cities, somewhat tiring, and you'll probably feel compelled to do more tourist stuff than you can handle (If you don't believe me, look at other posts listing various people's "favorites"-- there are months of activities!) And from personal experience, you'll feel cheated when you get home if you just run from sight to sight, and never experience the feel of the city. So unless you have three weeks and want to take Wes's trip, I would suggest erring on the short side, so that you know going in that you'll have to make choices. And if you love it, you'll just have to go back! Wonderful cities lend themselves very well to this strategy, I think. I've been to London and Paris three times each, and each trip was a little different.

I'm sure you'll find it very memorable and wonderful. Happy planning!

Jul 9th, 2000, 02:08 PM
WJM

How many days to spend in Paris, in June? All 30.

Jul 11th, 2000, 09:09 AM
lisa

Depends on how long your trip is, but in any event, at LEAST 5 full days and nights at the bare minimum. Don't miss the Picasso museum, my favorite small museum (I liked it and the Musee d'Orsay better than the Louvre -- more manageable, less overwhelming).

Jul 11th, 2000, 11:27 AM
herself

Carol, only you can know how many days are best in Paris. When I go with friends, I can stay the whole vacation time in Paris. We love museums, fine dinner and shopping. When I go with my husband, 2 or 3 days is enough. Then we hit the countryside. It's the same with London, New York or any large city. How many days of your vacation would you spend in New York? It would take a life time to see it all, but, is that how you want to spend your time?
List the sights you must see, fit them in the time you want.