Amalfi Coast/Taormina

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:28 AM
diana creighton

Amalfi Coast/Taormina

My husband and I are planning a trip in May to the Amalfi Coast and Taormina. We will be arriving in Rome. Could someone please tell me the best way to get to Sorrento from the airport in Rome? We'll be spending 3 nights in Sorrento and 3 nights in Positano. From there we'd like to know if you can take a train to Taoromina or nearby. We plan on spending 5/6 nights there. And finally, an airline recommendation to fly from Catania back to Rome. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Sep 16th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Myer

From Rome airport you can take a train to Termini train station in Rome. From there the train (Eurostar) to Naples.

From Naples either the commuter train (1 hour) from the basement of the train station). I've gone this way but it's not a class act). Or you can taxi it to the marina and take a hydrofoil.

Or....
You can hire a driver to take you from the airport to Sorrento. This is probably the most comfortable way but obviously the most expensive.

There are previous posts on people who've done all of the above.

Sep 16th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Diana

Hi Diana,
We have just come back from Positano, the Eolian Islands and Taormina. I would not recommend the train. It has to be taken apart, loaded on the ferry and put back together on the other side at the Straights of Messina. This procedure alone can take up to 5 hours. I consider this a huge waste of time. Your best bet would be to take a SNAV hydrofoil from Naples to Messina and then either a train or a bus to Taormina. Good luck! Diana

Sep 20th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Maria

I flew Lufthansa from Palermo to Rome. It was fine. About $100 rt. Also, when your Taormina, check out the San Domenico Palace Hotel. It is very beautiful.

Sep 20th, 2002, 10:30 AM
gac

1. Rome Airport to Sorrento: (i) non-stop airport train "Leonardo da Vinci Express" to Termini Station (32 minutes travel time, every half-hour); (ii) Intercity or Eurostar train to Naples Centrale Station (1.75 to 2.0 hours); (iii) from underground Centrale Station take the half-hourly Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento (70 minutes). Purchase the regular train tickets at the train station at the airport, to avoid long lines at Termini Station. Purchase Circumvesuviana ticket at Naples Central Station.
2) From Sorrento to Positano: 45 minutes by SITA blue bus (hourly departures).
3) Positano to Salerno (to go to Taormina): 1 hour by boat. Walk 600 yards to train station.
4) Salerno to Taormina: take one of the two daytime Intercity trains (6+ hrs.) Reserve a seat in either first or second class.
5) Taormina to Catania Airport: Etna/Interbus bus direct in 80 minutes. Less than 5 Euros. Bus stops briefly in downtown Catania near central train station (Via d'Amico 181) before continuing to airport.
6) Catania to Rome: Alitalia or Air One (Lufthansa Affiliate). 1 hr. flight. If you spend the last night in Catania, there is an airporter bus: "Alibus" to the airport every 30 minutes which drives down Via Etnea, past Piazza Stesicoro and Piazza del Duomo.

Sep 20th, 2002, 10:37 AM
gac

Update: Salerno to Taormina by Intercity train:

lv. Salerno 10:12 ar Taormina 15:58 OR
lv. Salerno 14:19 ar Taormina 20:00

First Class Euro 42.56
Second Class Euro 30.73

Add 3 Euros per seat reservation. Reservations highly recommended for second class, recommended for first class. Try to reserve a couple of days in advance (perhaps at Rome or Naples train stations). These trains originate in Rome and go all the way to Palermo/Siracusa, so they tend to fill up after Naples/Salerno.

Sep 20th, 2002, 10:49 AM
GAC

Update:
1. Many/most hotels in Taormina have arrangements with private drivers (usually with Mercedes-Bentz cars) to take guests to the Catania airport for 60-70 Euros. This is a viable option for early morning departures from Catania, where the public bus schedule won't work. This also eliminates the need to spend the last night in Catania.
2. The "Lufthansa" flight noted in a previous posting is operated by Air One, a private Italian carrier affiliated with Lufthansa.
3. There is no SNAV hydrofoil direct from Naples to Messina. Rather, it goes from Naples to Lipari (June through September ONLY), with connections to Messina or Milazzo. There is also a very slow but scenic overnight ferry (see spearate description in this forum) from Naples to Milazzo year-round which takes over 14 hours.

Sep 20th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Patrick

Wow, Diana (#2), I can't imagine those problems with the train. We've gone to Sicily twice by train and the whole procedure at Messina was like clockwork. This year we were driving (still my favorite transportation for that entire region as public transportation gets a little erratic) and the operation with the ferry was even quicker.