Amalfi Coast recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to the Amalfi coast in September. I am gathering information and would be interested in recommendations of where to stay in Napoli, Sorrento, Praino and Ravello (haven't decided between Praino and Ravello yet). How much time should I a lot to each town? (planning on visiting pompei on the way from Napoli to Sorrento) We will be renting a car in Napoli to have freedom to drive the coast and visit other towns along the way during stay.

Any recommendations of interesting places to visit in Naples and the towns of Positano, Ravello and other little towns and things to do there would be appreciated. Can l'isola d'Capri be done as a day trip or should one stay there?

After visiting the Amalfi coast any recommendations of towns along the way back up to Rome that would be interesting to visit? I speak the language so am looking for some unique locations that are less touristy. Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:52 AM

I'm not familiar with Praino, but Ravello is lovely, on the sides of the mountains high above the sea. When you're there, don't miss the gardens of the Hotel Cimbrone, one of the most staggeringly beautiful places I've ever been. You could stay there, of course, if your budget allows it. One hotel where I had lunch in Ravello on a gorgeous terrace with amazing views out to sea is the Villa Maria. It looked like it would be a great place to stay, and I'm keeping it in mind for my return there.

I did Capri as a day trip and was glad I wasn't staying there. It's beautiful, of course, but the coastal towns give you more flexibility in terms of how much you can do in a day.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
ira

Hi d,

>We will be renting a car in Napoli ...

Highly contraindicated. You don't want to drive in Naples or anywhere near it.
(During rush hour the lights blink yellow in all directions.)

If you must have a car, and it will probably be more of a hindrance than a help, get it in Sorrento.

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM

Ira's right about the car IMHO. And I think you do need to spend at least one night on Capri to see what it's like after the day-trippers leave - it's different, magical perhaps!!!

KC
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:07 PM

Don't rent a car, you'll waste a lot of time looking for parking. If you take the train to Naples or come in through the airport, contact Drive Amalfi at [email protected]. He'll pick you up and drive you very comfortably in a Mercedes minivan to wherever you want to go. He drove the 4 of us to Praiano, a 90 minute drive, for 110 Euros. He speaks great English, handles the bags, and is very knowledgeable about the area.
I suggest Praiano. It's small, quiet, centrally located, but easy to get to buses and boats to go anywhere else.
We've always stayed at Hotel Onda Verde
www.ondaverde.it/hoteli.htm
Every room has a sea view, a small balcony (some with nice terraces), has a great restaurant, and great service. An elevator takes you from the road down about 5 floors to registration. They have many excursions you can take or just get a boat to take you anywhwere. We just stay there and venture out to other towns. Buses run up and down the coast all the time and they're cheap. YOu can take the bus back to Sorrento and get on the Circumvesuviana and go to Pompeii Scavi. Once there, exit the train station, turn right and walk about 50 yards, and you're at the entrance of the ruins.
[email protected]
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 03:11 PM

Hi,
I can recommend the hotel Tramonto D'Oro in Praiano. It is a beautiful hotel on the ocean. There is a fabulous roof top pool and the views from there, the rooms, and the restaurant look out to the sea and to Positano. It is a great place.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:18 PM

What about Amalfi itself? Its a really cute little town.

I did Capri in a half-day. It was supposed to be a full day, but a tour bus hit our car in Sorrento and then drove off, so we spent half the morning chasing it around town. This is, by the way, another downside to driving. But Capri is do-able as a day trip.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:24 PM

2Italy,we're also staying at the Hotel Onda Verde in Praiano and would be grateful for any info you have or any tips you could share particularly local restaurants and recommended daytrips
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM

I answered your Onda Verde question on your other post.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Thank you sooo much
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Thanks again
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Is the Onda Verde suitable for children
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 04:07 AM

We're looking for a child friendly Hotel in Praiano and would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Onda Verde
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Here's a link to my trip report including a week in Naples, in case it's useful - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34830452. I spent a lot of time researching exactly where to stay, including buying a large scale street map of Naples, and was very pleased with the location - handy for walking round the centro storico, boats & buses.

I regretted staying in Ravello (on a another trip) & would rather have done it as a day trip. It's very small & quiet, no actual sights except the 2 famous gardens, and we found it rather chilly in June (presumably because it's high up).

I also like Amalfi best of the Amalfi coast towns.

I've been to the area lots of times & we've never dreamed of hiring a car - public transport, or taxis if you can afford it, are much easier IMO.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Belair at 20 Via Capo last Sept. Incredible views of the city, the mountains, Mt. Vesuvious, Naples, etc... It was very clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The staff was wonderful and helpful. There is an incredible pool, outdoor bar and restaurant. Breakfast was pretty good, too. The walk into Sorrento was so easy. There was a narrow, but safe walkway, it took about 10 minutes. It was nice not to walk uphill to go home at night! Definately easy walking distance to everything. You can't go wrong staying at the Belair! Check it out:
http://www.belair.it

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the information
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:40 AM

Thanks to the recommendations here we chose Praiano last year and are returning again in September
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM

Trying to decide between the Onda Verde and the Tamonto d'Oro, any feedback appreciated
Old Feb 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM

I would choose the Tramonto d'Oro over the Onda Verde but it is just a personal choice
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM

I have'nt read many reviews on the Tramonto d'Oro, would love some feedback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -