Amalfi coast itinerary and hotel help PLEASE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip for 9 nights to the Amalfi Coast . Leaving Knoxville, Tn on July 1 - arriving July 2 in Rome. Plan to rent a car and drive to Sorrento for 3 nights and stay at Belleveu Syrene. Drop car in Sorrento.
Take hydofoil to Capri for 2 nights . Need advice on whether to stay in Capri or Anacapri. Our husbands like nice hotels - 4 stars - with great seaviews. We wives like to shop and be close to town. We all enjoy seeing the sights and good restaurants. Have looked at Santa Caterina in Anacapri and Mamela in Capri.
Take hydofoil to Positano for last 3 nights before driving back to Rome to catch flight home.We had decided on Poseidon but then found out we had to book 4 nights there so we would have to cut a night from Sorrento. We want a good location, great views of sea with large balconies. Poseidon has gotten such great reviews here so we're wondering what to do????? Have looked at Albergo Miramare , Eden Roc and Posa Posa.
Any suggestions on itinerary and hotels would be appreciated. We have traveled a lot in Italy but only to Amalfi Coast for one day on a cruise. We want to see take daytrips to other towns while staying in Positano and Sorrento. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:39 PM

You might want to try the Saracini in Positano or the Miramare. I haven't stayed at either one, but I think they are 4* and get good reviews. The Murat is a lovely hotel with great food and a garden, but you have to book the upper floor in the original wing to get the sea views I believe.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 04:55 PM

From what you say, you want Capri not Anacapri.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM

Although it's beautiful and worth seeing, I don't think you'll be happy with Anacapri if you want to shop and be close to town. Also, wanted to caution you that sometimes the boats between Capri and Positano don't run if there are rough water conditions. There's more dependable service back and forth between SOrrento and Capri.

As for Positano, I've only stayed at the Poseidon, which really is a wonderful hotel, but I have read many times on the forum and elsewhere that ALBERGO MIRAMARE and COVO DEI SARCENI are quite good, too. I don't know where ALbergo Miramare is located, but COVO is right over the town dock, a few steps from the town beach, and has recently renovated it's extensive pool area. I imagine that many of the rooms there must have beautiful views of the water, but you should check previous posts here for better information.

Good luck!

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:45 PM

My fiance and I stayed at the Miramare in September, so I can give you some information about that option. The hotel is in a beautiful position with a great view, about halfway down the vertical village (really strenuous stairs to get anywhere from the hotel!), looking straight across the small beach toward the Sirenuse hotel. We had their famous room 310 with a huge balcony- big enough for a table for 4 and two lounge chairs. However, it definitely isn't a full service kind of hotel but more a B&B- there is no pool and no restaurant. For us, the restaurant wasn't an issue because they brought breakfast to our balcony and we loved going out for lunch and dinner. However, if we were traveling with friends, it would be nice to have a common place to gather for breakfast and a bar on site, I think. I have also stayed at Sirenuse, which has a splendid pool and restaurant, and I must say it is nice to have those things. The view of Positano is so magical, I spent days lounging by the pool taking it all in. It really depends on what you want to do while there. The beach is small and rocky, and can get crowded, so if lounging and sunning is on your itinerary, you are better off with a pool at your hotel. However, if you want to wander the town and venture out sightseeing along the coast, the Miramare provides a great home base with lovely rooms and views. For us, we had just come from a full-scale hotel in Ravello, so the B&B was a nice contrast. FYI, although I have not stayed there personally, some friends stayed at Eden Roc on their honeymoon and were disappointed. They said a road separated the hotel and pool from the view and the road noise was not very romantic. I also have friends who stayed at Villa Franca on their honeymoon and loved it (although there are some bad reviews on fodors rants and raves for this one, so not everyone has had the same good experience). No matter what you choose, the scenery and setting are wonderful. Have a great time!
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Make sure you make time to visit Amalfi,Atrani & Ravello as well as Scala,Pontone & Minuta,they all make for a good day excursion by car.