Amalfi Coast in March?

Old Jan 13th, 1999, 01:15 PM
Margaret

Amalfi Coast in March?

Anyone know what the weather is like in mid-March? Also, what's the best way to get there from Rome? Train, rent a car? We'll be a few days in Rome and then about a week on the coast. What would you consider your 'must sees'?

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 06:08 AM
Sandy

I spent two weeks in Italy in mid-Mar, 1997, with the 2nd week spent in Sorrento. We took the train to Naples (from Rome) and then transferred to the local train (Circumvesuviano) for the 1 hr trip to Sorrento. We stayed at Hotel City ($30 w/full bath & breakfast) right in heart of town and short walk from train.

We used the local train to make daytrips to Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples (we loved Naples, contrary to most people), Amalfi. We took the hydrofoil to Capri. We ran out of time! Sorrento is a great base for daytrips, you can take the train, the bus, the ferry/hydrofoil. We loved it! And, that part of Italy is much cheaper than the Rome/Florence/Venice area. And, it's just our opinion, but we thought the people were a little friendlier and more helpful there. The area is beautiful with all the lemon and orange trees and that beautiful blue water. You'll have a great time!

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Sandy

I forgot you asked about the weather . . . it was great in 1997, sunny, warm, light windbreaker or sweater or long-sleeve shirt was all we needed.

However, we went to Greece last Mar at the same time and just about froze to death, even had snow! The El Nino thing.

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 09:17 AM
Margaret

Sandy, did you ever wish you had a car while you were there? How would you say the prices compare between taking the trains vs. renting a car? We've driven in Italy before so we are away of the craziness of it, but to be honest, I rather avoid a car rental if everything is pretty easy to get to via public transportation. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 1999, 01:28 PM
francesca

I would rent a car. The villages are in a long string, one after the other, and it would take a while to get around by bus. Also, because of the twisting road and the outrageous traffic (even off season), the bus can be very long. We loved Ravello, especially the two fabulous gardens. Capri is worth more that a day trip, we were very disappointed with how little we saw in one day--next time, we'll stay for at least two. Positano is also beautiful off the beaten track. Walk along the coast road that goes off to the right when you face the beach. Feel free to write me for more details. We spent part of our honeymoon on the Amalfi coast last May.