Amalfi Coast help

Search

Amalfi Coast help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast help

I am planning a trip for my husband and I for September. We currently live in Germany, and like to take advantage of RyanAirs cheap airfare deals. My friends have offered to watch our children for a 5 day getaway, and I would love to visit the Almafi Coast.

Can anyone give me travel options from Rome to the AC area? I would think a train would be our best option, so I am just curious what a typical train ticket costs, and the time. Looks like we will be arriving in Rome around 9 am. Is it impossible to tackle a portion of Rome for the day, and then head to the AC area to arrive around 6 pm? I would hate to be so close to Rome and not see anything, but I know we won't even come close to doing it justice.

We would like to keep our transportation costs down as much as possible so we can splurge on a hotel with, of course, the view, an nice pool, and good service.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 08:30 AM

It is quite a drive from Rome down to the Amalfi Coast (around 3 hours or so) and train travel will take you the better part of a day. I had great luck with hiring a driver, Giancarlo from http://www.tourofitaly.com/. Others will recommend various car services, and prices are probably similar. This is definitely the easiest way to get there since you don't want to deal with driving or parking.

This may be an expensive round trip option, so consider taking the train to Naples and hiring a car from there instead.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 09:13 AM

Fly to Naples if you can--look at www.whichbudget.com
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 09:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi bbrown,

If you have a look at the following Trip report, you wil find not only some great recommendations for the amalfi area, but also for the coastal area between Rome and Naples.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-report.cfm?15

given that you are arriving at about 9am, I think that I would think about heading for that area for a night before making for the amalfi. alternatively, you could make it a stop the night before you fly home to give yourselves a shorter transfer to the airport in the morning.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 01:42 PM

I'd like to recommend a hotel in Positano, that was a real surprise to us. I would have never, ever, thought of a Best Western, had a friend not sworn to me the hotel would be nice. It's the Best Western Positano. Every room had a grand view worthy of a postcard, friendly service, and we found a reasonable rate checking the Best Western web site or Expedia. Just a short walk from the hotel was a restaurant we returned to 4 times in 5 days, for it's incredible food and reasonable prices. The hotel recommended it. There is a bus that makes the loop around town for 1 euro, and he'll stop in front of the hotel, but it's a delightful walk everywhere. Hotels in Amalfi coast can be very expensive.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 02:52 PM

Rome has the advantage of having the best bits all centered in 1 walkable area. It's possible to see quite a bit and still make it down to the AC for later in the evening.

I would get the train. Least hassle.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless Ryanair resolves its differences with the Italian Aviation Authority before September, you'll have to find another airline to fly to Rome.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/suspe...m-23rd-january

Better yet, fly to Naples as bobthenavigator suggests.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the heads up!!!!
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
GAC

The dispute between Ryanair and the Italian government affects only ITALIAN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS, and not international flights operated by Ryanair.