Amalfi coast--car or train

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:21 AM
carol

Amalfi coast--car or train

My husband and I plan on spending about 5 days on the Amalfi coast--while I am a good driver and have driven in Italy and other places in Europe, I am concerned about the hassles of driving on the Amalfi coast and am pondering taking trains to Sorrento and amalfi--is this too limiting?

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:27 AM
jahoulih

There are no trains to Amalfi, but there is bus service.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:33 AM
John

Hi Carol,

Many may disagree, but I would not consider the Amalfi coast without the flexibility of having a car. The quality of the experience is enhanced immensely.

Although buses may get you from point to point they restrict your options.

Have fun - we love the Amalfi coast.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:49 AM
dean

You dont say where you are planning to stay on the coast. But the coastal bus runs about once an hour and you would have to go to Salerno or Sorrento to catch a train. We found parking in Ravello easy in a pay lot. You will also have difficulty visiting Massa Lubrense and the Punta Campanelle if you do not have a car. Lastly, if you decide to visit Paestum (which I highly reccomend) you will spend a lot of time in busses or busses and trains to get there.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Sherry

We will have a car and are not going during July or August.
But as Dean says, you lose your flexibility.
Also, I understand if you do go at a busy time, you may wait for the bus and then when it gets there, it is filled and you must wait for the next one. I do not know this for sure, but I was told this can happen.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:30 AM
Vincenzo

I agree with John and Dean: car on Amalfi Coast is almost mandatory !
Without car you see thu usual places, with the car you can visit places as Punta Campanella, unforgettable.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:42 AM
carol

we stayed in positano (train to naples, driver to positano) and took boats daily to coastal towns. it was fun! we did take one bus from amalfi to ravello but a boat to sorrento, capri and amalfi. i thought those winding moutain roads were treacherous and wanted only an experienced driver from the region to be at the wheel.