Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Warning: Before posting, check the date of the first post.

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Patrick

Have any of the rest of you been caught up in many recent messages, only to discover than they were unearthed from files a year or two old? Before spending your time answering what may seem like a good post, check the date to see if what you have to say will still be worthwhile. I spent quite a while composing some suggestions to a proposed itinerary before realizing that the question was asked almost two years ago. The topping addicts are really going wild these days!

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:12 PM
ttt

ttt

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:14 PM
Grasshopper

Patrick, You have a great point here. And I don't think I quite get why some of these things are being topped.... other than somebody is bored or trying to stir up trouble. On the other hand, there are frequently add-on posts to an old thread that ask follow on questions.

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:22 PM
Topper

to the top for people who have nothing better to do than trying to tell others what to do, how to behave, how to dress, what to think, how to look

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:24 PM
xxxxxx

Patrick go outside for change and leave your computer alone. She will be fine

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:25 PM
xxxxxx

Huh?

Mar 31st, 2002, 01:27 PM
Patrick

That question deserves repeating: Huh?

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:40 PM
yyyy

Very clever, Patrick

Mar 31st, 2002, 03:28 PM
Ginnie

I suspect that the older posts have been unearthed by someone seeking additional or updated info on that same topic. Rather than posting a new message, it's quicker and easier to just send the original message back to the top. (This also avoids being reprimanded, as so many have been, for asking questions that the 'regulars' feel have already been answered.) I don't think it's ever a waste to post a reply since there's always someone who will find the information useful.

Mar 31st, 2002, 03:32 PM
Topper

Well said Ginnie

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Kathy

I agree Ginnie, I use the search function often and then top a post for add'l info. I, too, have had some tell me my subject has been over done.

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:39 PM
bbb

Patrick, you question "Huh?" is about as clever as the rejoinder "Whatever!" (which you so hate).

Big smiles, Everyone!!

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:42 PM
Huh

Yet another case of identity theft!

A big "Huh" to you all.

Huh, huh,

Huh

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:11 PM
Patrick

Just for the record, I wasn't really complaining about people bringing old topics back to the top, especially when they help answer current threads. I only meant to suggest that other people not do what I tend to do -- and that is to start answering without looking at the date first. I have seen it done many times. Some people give long answers to a question that was posted at least a year ago -- offering specific suggestions. Clearly the person asking the original question has long gone and returned by now! Adding additional information is fine, but sometimes it seems more than a bit outdated to give specific details to an itinerary that no longer is in question.

It is also interesting what one can learn here. I just learned that I apparently hate "whatever". I never knew that.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:43 PM
hummer

Patrick, whatever

Apr 1st, 2002, 05:28 AM
ttt

ttt

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
cry

Another vintage whine from Patrick

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:09 AM
Janus

Stop whining patrick.

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:19 AM
susan

I think Patrick could post a message letting people know about a free flight to Europe, and people would still say he's whining. How is this whining? He simply suggested that people read the date before they post so they know what they are answering. I've made that mistake myself. Haven't you? Some of you really don't appreciate any helpful suggestions at all.
Thanks Patrick for all your help. And I personally think this was a good tip. Ignore the real whiners!!!!!

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:55 AM
Faina

Patrick, I disagree. So many people read all posts after doing a search, I've done that several times myself, and if you add an up-to-date info to an old post it will be helpful to many of us who prefer to search instead of asking the same question again and being hit for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO