amalfi coast / capri in Oct.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about an Italy trip in 2009 - usually we travel in Oct. If we go at that time, will there be connections by hydafoil / ferry from Sorrento to Capri? I know that after the summer, the schedules change but I was not able to find a detailed schedule for Oct.

Also, I looked at Weatherbase and the weather seems fair, not HOT but it also seems to have a fair amount of rain. Anyone have ancedotal comments on the weather that time of year? Also the buses that go from Sorrento to Positano and beyond, are they crowded in Oct?

We have been to other parts of Italy in Oct. and found it a good time to travel there but I'm worried it might not be so good on Capri at that time. One couple definately wants a little sun and pool time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:53 AM

www.hostelsantacaterina.it

great time to go go a lot in the fall still pretty warm maybe frontal rain most everythingis still going on with lots less heat and crowds.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM

www.hotelsantacaterina.it

sorry pooched the link somehow
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM

There's really no place in Italy you can guarantee the sun/pool couple cloudless skies. Maybe you should all consider Ischia instead of Capri, so the water-loving couple can sit in hot springs if the air temps drop and the hotel pools get emptied.

You should check how long the pool season runs in the hotels you consider, including hotels on Ischia, although I believe there are year-round spas and thermal baths there.

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM

I was in Sorrento & Amalfi coast 3 years ago in October and had spectacularly beautiful weather until a litte rain shower on my last day. A friend arrived in Rome a day later and had all rain for a week...so just be prepared for both!
Also was in Sorrento the day they ended the ferry to Capri so it was about the middle of the month. Your hotel in Sorrento may know when they stop running.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:32 AM

Hi Sue - The ferry connections between Sorrento and Capri run throughout the year, not just in summer. It just runs on a reduced timetable from October.

The only reason it might be suspended is in bad weather.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM

Steve is completely right, as it always happens, and I agree also about the smart choice of the period: October and the second half of May are, IMO, the two best periods to visit this lovely part of Italy.

Vincenzo

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
ira

Hi S,

We were on the AC the 1st week in Oct.

It rained the first and last days.

Weather was very pleasant (maybe one day was hot).

Ferries were still running on the Summer schedule.

IIRC, the Winter Season starts Nov 1.

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:49 PM

We stayed on Capri the latter part of Oct. in 2002 and the weather was perfect - middle 70's and sunny. We were also on the Amalfi Coast the middle of last Oct. and again the weather was about the same. We always take our European vacation the middle of October and have not been disappointed yet. Keep in mind, though, the morning and late evening are generally cool. Perfect Fall weather. Have a great trip!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM

bkmkg