Amalfi coast bus transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Sorrento in 2 weeks. Just read there was a mudslide on the Amalfi coast in August and Sita bus would run on a limited schedule. Please advise if you have any info. Also any idea about bus to Ravello.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 09:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I was there two weeks ago and the buses seemed to be on regular schedule. I didn't see any sign of a mudslide. They do have a 6€ daily pass now so you can ride as much as you want instead of buying individual tickets. The shops around the train station tend to sell out of the passes so buy at your hotel if available.
Old Oct 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM

I'm here right now. These mudslides do happen from time to time, and sometmes the buses have to be rerouted to go over the Lattari mountains or are thrown off schedule a bit. It's a normal part of life here. I rode SITA yesterday without a problem.

You'll get the bus to Ravello from Amalfi by the main port. Just ask any of the drivers and they' help you. Easy.

Weather lovely today. Olives are being harvested. Beauty awaits you. Bye, I can't linger!

Old Oct 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. Will look forward to seeing the Amalfi coast by public bus.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM

bellastarr, do you know how often the Sita bus runs from Naples.or do do thet hsve a website ? also do the busses have luggage storage ? thanks
Jean.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 11:09 AM

jean - I'm sure bellastar was referring to the Sita bus on the Amalfi coast, not Naples. Where are you trying to go?
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM

kybourbon. We ate staying in Naples then going to Amalfi & the bus would be more scenic than the train.

Jean
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:25 PM

I'm not aware of any Sita bus that runs between Naples and Sorrento. There is a bus (Curreri) that runs from Naples airport to Sorrento, but it doesn't make stops in the city of Naples. Anyway, a bus route between Naples and Sorrento would not be anymore scenic than the local commuter train (Circumvesuviana). The Sita busses everyone's talking about run between Sorrento and the various coastal towns on the Sorrentine peninsula and the Amalfi Coast(Amalfi, Positano, Maori, Massa Lubrense, Praiano, etc.).
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM

There are boats that run between the towns on the Amalfi coast and they are a very pleasant way to see the coast as well as get to one town from another. You have to check their schedules from the ports.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM

I did locate a couple of different Sita busses between Naples and Amalfi. I guess no one uses them because they take so long and are so seldom. It seemed there was a 6am or a late afternoon bus with nothing inbetween. The CV train between Naples and Sorrento runs every 30 minutes to Sorrento (travel time 70 minutes) where you can catch the Sita busses that run between the coastal towns. I've taken the Marozzi bus from Sorrento to Rome and it follows the coast, stopping at Pompeii and one or two other towns before getting on the autostrada to head to Rome. I think any other bus would use the same road and I didn't find it any more scenic than the train.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:23 AM

kybourbon,Thank you, We will be arrving Cittievechia by cruishship April 19, & plan to take the train to Rome, as we have been to Rome previously we will make our way towards the Amalfi coast ,where we have also been but our friends want to visit Pompeii Capri & Naples .we have about a week befor travelling to Bari to Croatia. & thought Naples would be a good base. would appreciate input re transoport, base, etc.

Jean.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM

I personally wouldn't base in Naples, but some people do like it. I would rather base in Sorrento to visit those areas than Naples. The local commuter train (Circumvesuviana) runs between Naples and Sorrento (the line ends in Sorrento) and the cost is a little over 3E. Pompeii is about halfway between the two and entrance to the ruins is just across the street from the Pompeii Scavi train station. Herculaneum is a short walk from the train station (Ercolano - the scavi stop).

From Sorrento's port you can easily catch ferries to Capri, Amalfi, Naples, Ischia. From the Sorrento train station you can easily catch the Sita bus to Amalfi, Positano and several other coast towns (for Ravello you must change in Amalfi).

When you are searching your trains to Rome (after your cruise) on Trenitalia, the correct spelling is Civitavecchia (cost will be about 5-10E). The Marozzi or Curreri bus would be an option from Rome to Sorrento depending on time of day. They depart from Rome's Tiburtina station, not Termini.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM

kybourbon, Thank you that is so helpful.
Jean.