Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast area...if you had your choice for 1 day......

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 07:42 AM
Lee

What is the "don't miss" town or area? I'll be in Amalfi for one day (our port on Windstar Cruises) and cannot decide what to see....Amalfi, Ravello, Positano, Capri or go to Pompeii?....any suggestions from those who've been there?

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:30 AM
Carol

We did the Amalfi Coast in one day. The scenery is spectacular and each town a bit different. Ravello is lovely but we just stopped for a few photos. Amalfi has interesting little streets, nice shops and is very busy. Positano was our favorite although lots of very steep streets...not bad going down, but coming up can be difficult...so just shop along the way. Very nice stores and a terrific lunch on the beach at Chez Black. <BR> <BR>We also spent about 4-5 hours at Pompeii and enjoyed every minute of it...very worthwhile. There is so much to see...truly amazing. <BR> <BR>Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Lee

Thanks Carol ! <BR> <BR>One question - did you have a rental car or use public transportation/taxis? <BR> <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Jim Tardio

I'd say that Pompeii is stretching it for a single day. You can get on a bus and have plenty of time to see Amalfi, Positano, and Ravello. Capri might be another stretch....you have to take a ferry both ways. I'd say either do the coast, or spend the day on Capri. <BR> <BR>If you'd like to see some photos of that area, and the rest of Italy, I have some on my website: http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html

Old May 3rd, 2001, 11:05 AM
carol

You could take the public bus along the Amalfi Drive, stopping in Positano, pick up the bus again and go to Sorrento. In Sorrento, you could either wander around this charming town or pick up a hydrofoil to Capri. I must say that this would be a pretty hectic program but you'd see a lot. Personally, I'd be really happy just seeing Amalfi and taking the bus from Amalfi up to Ravello, which is a ravishingly beautiful spot overlooking the Mediterranean.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 12:38 PM
Gloria

I vote for Positano, though steep hills, you can walk along the street down to the beach. Chez Black is fantastic. Have a drink at any of the hotel/restaurant bars overlooking the ocean, it is awesome and relaxing. Plenty of shopping, good prices. Ravello is wonderful if you want to buy ceramics. Shipping is a fortune, but worth it when you get it home. For one day Capri and Pompeii are to far away.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 12:58 PM
Capo

Hi Lee. Of the five places you mentioned, I only had time to visit Positano & Amalfi recently. Wanted to visit Ravello too, but ran out of time. Anyway, I'd highly recommend Positano, and Sorrento as well.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 02:17 PM
Lee

Thank you one and all for these suggestions...One more question: I'll be there in early September so will the traffic still be bumper-to-bumper on the drive like I've heard?

Old May 4th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Michael

If you rent a car or more likely mopeds.. you can visit positano, and Amalfi and do a quick Capri.... Blue grotto Ana Capri.. <BR> <BR>It's tough to do in one day especailly if it isn't a full day.. <BR>See how much relaxing verse touring you want to do.. <BR>Pompeii has history... the other beauty... <BR>

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Dianne

I've been to all the places you mention except Positano (just drove by) and Capri would get my vote. There's just so much to see there and it's so pretty. There's many hikes, a bus to Anacapri (amazing views), etc. I wouldn't pick it if it's rainy though. On the other hand, Ravello has beautiful views and then you'd get to see the Amalfi coast on your way there. The cathedral in Amalfi with it's museum and crypt was impressive, but it did close for siesta from, I think, 12 - 3pm. I probably wouldn't chose Amalfi for a whole day. Oops, just re-read your post and see you're docked at Amalfi. In this case, I'd definitely pick Ravello. It's just a 15 min or so bus ride up from there and you can visit the 2 beautiful villas. You'll have time for a walk around Amalfi too. Capri would probably be over crowded in September anyway. Pompeii is too far from Amalfi for a day visit in my opinion.

Old May 4th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Betsy

Though I just posted about my unfortunate trip to Pompeii, I'd lean toward taking a tour of it if you only have a day. But, it depends on your love of history. If the idea of seeing an ancient Roman town and getting a sense of what it was like is important to you, then Pompeii is not to be missed. The Amalfi coast is absolutely beautiful, the towns great, but won't you be seeing it from your cruise ship? So if I wan't into history, then I'd choose Capri. I think the Amalfi coast towns would be better experienced by staying overnight, unless shopping is a big deal. <BR>