amalfi coast

Jan 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

amalfi coast

My husband and I are planning on celebrating our 50th bithdays this May in Italy. We have been to Capri, ROme , FLorence, Venice,and Milan. We will be going for a week and are deciding on splitting our week between Ravello and Sorento or Ravello and Positano. We do not want to rent a car and are planning on staying in 4-5 star hotels. Beach is not important, just ambience, views, good food and walks.Any ideas?
Jan 11th, 2005, 06:40 PM

These ideas come to mind:
Ravello & Positano
The Lakes[ Como & Orta]
Tuscany hill towns

Those are my favorites after 12 trips.
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:56 AM
ira

Hi ai,

Is there a reason for splitting a week between Ravello and Positano? They are only 1/2 hr apart.

From Ravello you can see the AC to Sorrento, and Paestum, by bus or ferry.

Sorrento is more convenient to Pompeii and Naples.

An often recommended walk is the Path of the Gods. See http://www.giovis.com/sentdei.htm

Jan 12th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Ok my personal views:

1. I agree that moving between places that are so close together are not what I would enjoy, but if you want to do it I would pick Sorrento and another town. Sorrento is larger than the others and has views of Naples Bay rather than the Amalfi coast (for the most part) so you will get a different feel and different views.

2. If beach is not important, I would pick Ravello for its awesome stunning endless views. Drawbacks are getting back up to Ravello if you take day trips. Of course you may never leave Ravello so maybe you donít care. Another plus is that walks from Ravello would be mostly DOWNHILL, and you can take a bus back up if you donít feel like walking uphill. Palazzo Sasso is the hotel in town, but there are others.

3. Positano has better and more varied shopping and many more restaurants, so do go for a day here. I am not crazy about it at night and in the early morning hours, as I think it can be fairly noisy with school kids, morning deliveries, etc, so I prefer not to stay there. However a lot of people like it.

4. Have to throw in a good word for the Hotel Santa Caterina in a spectacular setting on a cliff over the sea and set amidst lemon and orange groves. I personally like being outside of the villages, and it is any easy 10 minute walk downhill to Amalfi (the hotel also has a shuttle to the village). There is a very nice pool built right into the rocks on the Med -- you can also jump or dive right into the sea from your lounge chair. Lunch at the terrace restaurant with a cold bottle of white wine is perfect. Can't say enough good things about this hotel. This may be the best option for you location wise as you get the quiet and the views ,but are at the bottom of the hills so are closer to Postiano and the other coast towns. Their website is hotelsantacaterina.it, or go through Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com.

If you want other hotel reccos, run a search here as these towns are quite popular on this board.

5. There is a very good walking guide to the Capri & the Amalfi coast published by Sunflower books. I first read about it on this site, and thought it was very useful. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm. They rate hikes by difficulty and time it takes to complete all or each section, and give good directions on how to reach each walk. They publish many other walking guides to various places in Europe. The walks include the Path of the Gods, parts of which I found quite challenging. . . .

Jan 12th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I would suggest Positano and Sorrento, rather than Ravello and Sorrento.

Ravello is gorgeous, but it's inland location makes it more difficult to get back and forth to other towns along the coast.

In Positano, I would highly recommend the Hotel Poseidon, a 4-star with commanding views, excellent food (!!) and service. If you are interested, get in touch with them soon. It is a popular hotel. Two drawbacks: In the standard room category, rooms can be small. And the swimming pool is, as I've posted before, about the size of a large bathtub. But oh, that food (!!), and the views from some of the rooms and restaurant terrace!

Another hotel that gets constantly praised on this forum is ALBERGO MIRAMARE. I don't know it from personal experience, but it looks very nice.

If you stay in Positano, make sure to have your hotel book a lunch or dinner at one of the fine restaurants in Montepertuso, a small mountain village about 15 minutes by car from Positano. Most of these restaurants ( IL RITROVO, DONNA ROSA, and others) will arrange roundtrip transportation for you.

In Sorrento, I'd recommend the Hotel Tramontano, a 4-star only a few minutes walk from the old town and Piazza Tasso. If you go, try to book one of the seaview rooms overlooking the Bay of Naples. The one we had ( I think it was on the 4th floor corner) had an enormous terrace with unforgettable views.

Restaurants I'd recommend: LUNA DUE,( for dinner-- handmade pastas, excellent meats and desserts) and LUNA ( for lunch- great pizza and salads!).

Have a great trip.
Jan 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Just ambience, views, good food and walks.

Split between Positano and Ravello. I believe that both of these locations deserve more than a day trip, to experience the true spirit of the towns.

Jan 12th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Stay in one place! the 2 furthest (Sorrento and Ravello are only 1 and 1/2 hour away from each other!
1) Walks: get info about the path of Gods that goes on top of the AC.
2)Views: Ravello, villa cimbrone's balcony of infinity is number one view!!!
Palazzo Sasso in Ravello is great, but also have a look at hotel Palumbo next door, less "shining" but very elegant.
3)Good food: plenty of this: Top level restaurants: "Il Buco" and "Caruso" in Sorrento, "La Sponda" by the Syrenuse and "Max" in Positano. A different experience in S.Agata by "Don Alfonso". "Quattro Passi" and"Taverna del Capitano" in Nerano.