Search

AMALFI COAST

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMALFI COAST

I was wondering does anyone know how late at night the local train goes from Naples to Sorrento (believe it is called the Circumviena (sp?))? Also, how do you get from Sorrento to the other side of the peninsula...like Amalfi, etc.? Lastly, does anyone have a good recommendation for where to stay on the Amalfi for three nights that makes all of the towns there accessible and where we can find reasonable lodging (cheap hotel or hostel with private room)? Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The commuter train is called the Circumvesuviana. In the summer, the last train from Naples to Sorrento departs around 10:30 p.m., and the journey takes about 1:15 hours.

The bus service that operates between Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast towns is called SITA. In the summer, I think the last bus departs Sorrento around 10:00 p.m.

For useful lodging recommendations, you need to tell us your budget. You could also do some research at www.tripadvisor.com and www.venere.com. BTW, "cheap" and "Amalfi Coast" are words rarely spoken in the same sentence, but there are options some would call "reasonable" if you're willing to stay outside the better-known towns or if you'll be there long enough to consider an apartment. So, have a good map to refer to.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 11:08 PM

I'm also heading to the Amalfi Coast in mid-April. Not sure either where to base, but am thinking about Amalfi. I understand there is a boat that goes from Sorrento to Amalfi. Is that correct? Or is it from Naples to Sorrento? My preference is to take the boat for whatever portion is feasible, just wondering what options are available in April.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Hi Luv - If you plan to stay in Amalfi itself, your best option is -

- train to SALERNO (- not Sorrento), then
- ferry to Amalfi (- 35 mins).

If you are coming from Rome, there are DIRECT ES, IC and AV trains to Salerno.
http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

In April there are ferries departing Salerno to Amalfi at:

09.40 – 10.40 - 11.40 – 14.10 - 15.30

Ferries leave from the Piazza della Concordia jetty (- 400m from Salerno station).

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:47 AM

We are going to Italy in October and want to go down the Amalfi coast. Should we stop on the way down to Sicily or do the coast on the way back. We have been told to get off the train and take a bus down the coast and then get back on the train for the rest of the trip. Does the commuter train-the Circumvesviana go along the coast. We were told to take that train to go to Pompaii (sp).
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:51 AM

Steve -- thanks so much for the detailed response. Looks great.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Hi MH - The Circumvesuviana runs between Naples-Pompeii-Sorrento.
It does NOT run along the Amalfi Coast.

The public transport options along the Amalfi Coast are bus or ferry/hydrofoil.

Unless you intend to take an overnight train to/from Sicily I suggest you plan an overnight stop on the Amalfi Coast.

Steve
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

my budget is less than $150/night
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM

poirierjeff,
I already responded on your first "Amalfi Coast" Thread, as did several others- regarding cheap accomodations.
When you want to eleicit more responses, you can bring your original thread to the top by hitting reply and typing "ttt" rather than adding an extra thread.