amalfi coast

Jan 24th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

amalfi coast

looking for some things to do on the Amalfi coast at the end of March. Special places/wineries for tastings/tours/restaurants/etc. We will be staying in Maiori. thanks
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM

I could send you my notes about Amalfi Coast and Penisola Sorrentina.
But the language is Italian.
If you want, feel free to e-mail me.

Ciao.

Vincenzo
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:50 PM

find a copy of Carla Capalba's book on food in Naples and Campania - it will guide you to all kinds of restaurants and artisanal producers. Check Slowfood also. I dont know offhand about Maiori, but there is a fine bakery and also Mansi, a wellknown maker of limoncello in Minori (his son also has a nice wine shop selling the limoncello and other things on the street in Ravello that has Cumpa Cosimo, a friendly restaurant you will probably find yourself visiting. Each of the towns along that coast (as well as the villages back in the mountains) have something to offer. You should also try to get down to Paestum - in addition to the temples and some very good restaurants, there are the farms where the mozzarella di bufala is made. March is still low season;the music is not on in Ravello, only crazies will be swimming and many places will be closed or quiet; you may catch some rain but its a beautiful place at all seasons, and enough will be open for you to enjoy.
Jan 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Carla's book is The Food and Wine Guide to Naples and Campania and is fantastic. The only listing for Maiori in her book is Il Faro di Capo d'Orso.
http://www.capodorso.org/
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Vicenzo I would also like a copy of your notes; I can muddle through the Italian. Would it be ok if I e-mailed you? I am actually in Vietnam now but sitting at a computer and guess where my fingers went..to Fodor's!! Grazie!
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Yes ekscrunchy, send me your e-mail and I send you my notes about Amalfi Coast and my beloved Penisola Sorrentina.
To read it is also a lovely excercise to improve your Italian.
Ciao.
Vincenzo
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM

Grazie Vicenzo! Please forgive the spelling of Penisola on the e-mail I just sent off to you....I look forward to receiving your notes!!
Jan 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Problem, is another one, I received (not yet) no e-mail from you.
Try again, please !
My e-mail address is [email protected] .
Ciao.
Jan 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Vicenzo I see why the e-mail did not go through...I am having trouble with it on this public Vietnamese computer..will wait until I return home at the end of the month and then write to you from my home computer....many thanks!!

Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:29 PM

Hi Vicenzo! I am back at home now and about to write to you again to take you up on your kind offer to send me your notes on eating in Campania.

I will be in the region at the end of next month and will be looking for good eating experiences in both Naples and on the coast..will probably start a new thread related to Naples eating!

I would also be interested in exploring food markets..can you recommend one in Naples? Pignasecca? Porta Nolana??