Search

Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2022, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amalfi Coast

Hello All -

My husband and I will be in the AC at the end of June. We plan to spend 2 nights in Positano and 3 nights in Praiano or Amalfi.

Since we are booking so late, our choices are limited. Does anyone have any feedback on these hotels we are considering?

Positano: Hotel Miramar or Hotel Poseidon

Praiano/Amalfi: Hotel Pelegrín’s or Hotel Miramalfi

We are in our late 50’s. We don’t mind walking hills or stairs. We are pretty active.

We are looking to sight see and relax by the sea/pool. We prefer quieter resorts and aren’t too concerned with nightlife aside from grabbing dinner and some wine or drinks.

We are open to other suggestions on lodging, as well. Our dates in the AC are June 27 to Jul 2. Flying into Rome from US and back to US out of Naples.

As for budget: given the time of year, I know prices are higher. We’d like to stay around $500 -$750/night USD but are willing to go abit higher, if necessary.

We are happy to rent a car but everything I read recommends against that so we will probably either use the shuttles/ferries or hire a driver for specific things (like perhaps a tour of Pompeii). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Btw - prior to the AC, we will be in Rome/Val d’ Orcia for a week. We will have a rental car in Val d’ Orcia and will drive to Sorrento (plan is to drop off the car in Sorrento).

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can offer.

Shelley
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 01:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The two you list for Positano have received good reviews from our family and friends.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We've walked the Path of the Gods between Positano and Praiano, so I personally wouldn't switch hotels from Positano to Praiano only 4-5 miles away. And I like Amalfi, so I'd stay there.

We stayed at the Poseidon a million years ago before the rates came to resemble ransom demands. We spend our days sightseeing. Since we rarely use all the amenities a hotel like this offers and spend very little time in our room, it's not on our radar now.

We've stayed at the Luna Convento in Amalfi a couple of times over several years.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 02:08 PM

I just noticed your budget. Have you checked availability for these hotels for your dates? I don't think the Poseidon and the Miramalfi fit the budget...
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
The two you list for Positano have received good reviews from our family and friends.
Hi HappyTrvlr - thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Shelley
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
I just noticed your budget. Have you checked availability for these hotels for your dates? I don't think the Poseidon and the Miramalfi fit the budget...
Hi Jean - thanks for your response. Yes, I did check availability and pricing before posting this thread. The prices are outside of the budget I mentioned which is why I stated we will go higher, if necessary.

It’d be great to stay between $500-$750/night, but I suspect we are going to have to go higher. We’d really like to be in a room with a sea view which of course, I know will also drive up the price.

thanks again for your response.

Shelley
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
We've walked the Path of the Gods between Positano and Praiano, so I personally wouldn't switch hotels from Positano to Praiano only 4-5 miles away. And I like Amalfi, so I'd stay there.

We stayed at the Poseidon a million years ago before the rates came to resemble ransom demands. We spend our days sightseeing. Since we rarely use all the amenities a hotel like this offers and spend very little time in our room, it's not on our radar now.

We've stayed at the Luna Convento in Amalfi a couple of times over several years.
Hi Jean - that’s good advise - amalfi vs Praiano. I’m going to look into Luna Covento, since you mentioned it.

I’ve read that Amalfi is bigger than most of the other towns. Can you comment? We thought we would like Praiano because it seems smaller and quieter - but I agree with you that being only 4-5 miles away from Positano probably doesn’t make aloft of sense to move hotels.

shelley
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Amazon Amazon

I just read this book, “ONE ITALIAN SUMMER” by Rebecca Serle.

It takes place at The Poseidon Hotel in Positano and is so descriptive of the whole area including the Path of the Gods that it definitely makes me want to go there.

The story starts out a bit odd but by the end it made me wonder what I don’t know about my own mother
or what my daughter doesn’t know about me…..a lot!

Take a look at the book. Just the descriptions of the Hotel, the restaurants, the sights, and the whole area should be of interest to you. I loved it!
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tpayt - thanks for the tip. I’ll most definitely look into that book.

shelley
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi All - thank you for your help. We are booked at Hotel Poseidon and Hotel Miramalfi.

Another Q: we are headed to San Quirico from Rome on June 29th for 2 nights and then to the AC.

We are staying at Albergo del Senato in Rome (based on the Fodorite recommendations I found on this site).

Where would you recommend I pick up/drop off a rental car? I’m thinking of picking it up in Rome City Ctr and dropping in Sorrento. Is that the best way? I’m also wondering if anyone has a recommendation on which rental car company I should use to get the best rate on a rental car that is getting returned at a different location. I’ve used hertz in the past for one way rentals but the code I’ve generally used to get a good one way rate is not working. Does anyone have a recommendation?

thank you,

shelley
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 04:02 PM

JMO but San Quirico feels like a detour in the opposite/wrong direction. Two nights is only one full day for an area that can't be explored quickly.

Unless you were planning some stops between Rome and SQ and SQ and Sorrento, I would think about the car rental differently... I would train Rome to Chiusi (2 hours), pick up and return the car there, and train to Naples (3.5 hours). Have a driver booked to pick you up at the Naples station and drop you at your first AC hotel. The drive between Chiusi and SQ takes 1.5-2 hours depending on which roads you take, number of stops, etc. It's very scenic and through a couple of towns you were probably hoping to visit. The only potential problem with this plan would be if your car rental pickup and/or drop off were on days the offices are closed (most likely Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday).
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean - thanks for the note. I considered that option, too, (Chuisi) but had read some posts advising against because the poster thought it added extra time/cycles/complexity, etc….those posts are what prompted my question.

That said, I like your suggestion as it gives my husband the opportunity to sit back and enjoy instead of having to navigate our way out of Rome, etc…I have rented a car in Rome and drove to Val D’ Orcia, many many years ago, and it was not easy trying to get out of the City (Rome).

Thanks again,

Shelley
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 07:05 PM

Both have advantages/disadvantages. Some people prefer the option that involves the fewest "steps," the least handling of luggage (which would rule out trains), etc. I wouldn't want to do the long drive/slog from SQ to Sorrento... 5.5 to 6 hours on a boring autostrada, and then you still have to get to Positano.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 04:39 AM

Road between Positano and Amalfi is jam-packed always, and rental car is convenient, but parking??? There is a ferry service from Sorrento to Positano that I think go to Amalfi that is relaxing (having only taken it Positano/Sorrento), and do not even consider the public SITA buses! Have heard good things about the Poseidon, and for sure do lunch/dinner at Chez Black on the beach for great people watching and seafood, been there many years.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean - I couldn’t agree more. Some of our favorite vacation memories involve getting lost on the backroads of Ireland, Germany, etc….vs taking the quicker freeway route.

Shelley
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi Aliced - thank you for your note and re-enforcement of not renting a car in AC. Just last night I asked my husband what he thought about renting mopeds (or Vespa’s, scooters) to get around one day. He thought it sounded like fun but the more I got to thinking about it, I wondered how safe (or not safe) it would be given how congested it sounds like the traffic is going to be when we are there. Does anyone have any thoughts - or can anyone confirm that it’s NOT a good idea to rent a vespa given the amount of traffic/safety issues?

One other Q: we plan to go to Pompeii one day. It seems like a private tour would be a good idea for Pompeii. Am I correct in thinking that and if so, do you (or other Fodorites) have a recommended tour guide?

Thank you,

Shelley
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 05:39 AM

I would not rent a vespa/scooter as a "fun" way to get around the AC unless you are comfortable doing what the rest of the vespa drivers there do in weaving in and out of the traffic, creating your own third lane down the centre line etc etc. A complete nightmare waiting to happen.

We had a car on the Amalfi for 2 weeks but it was October, not quite as busy as when you will be there, but busy enough. It was fine but my husband is a really good, calm driver and we made sure we had the smallest car possible so as to squeeze it into tight parking spots. Amalfi town has some good sized parking lots.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 06:46 AM

We once rented scooters on Capri. Perhaps it was just the people we were dealing with, but the rental/return processes took a lot of time. Thankfully, not much car traffic to share the roads with, but the parking issues were the same. Overall, not worth it.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 07:28 AM

https://luxeadventuretraveler.com/do...ur-of-pompeii/

We have been to Pompeii on our own with a guide book and on a pre-booked, guided tour. I much preferred doing it on our own. We could linger in any one area, take photos, read more, etc. On our own, we were there at least four or five hours. There are plenty of good walking tours you can down load or print out and some small guide books. I don’t know if they are still there, but there used to be guides you could hire right at the entrance. At other archeological sites, we have had very good luck doing that, just having one guide to ourselves.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 10:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi RainCity - thank you for confirming my thoughts on the scooter rental. I really wish we could rent a car, for ease/convenience, but it seems that’s really discouraged so, we will just plan on the shuttles, ferries, etc…..

shelley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -