Amalfi Coast

Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
Carol

Amalfi Coast

We are in the process of planning our trip. Has anyone taken the train from Rome to the Amalfi coast area - Sorrento and south. How did the train, buses work? Positano or Revello would be our destinations also.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:09 AM
Capo

Hi Carol. Just did this a few months ago, and it's very easy. You can also get to the Amalfi Coast via Salerno, but this is what we did...

1. Take the train from Rome (Termini) to Naples.

2. At the Naples train station, go down one level to buy tickets for, and catch, the Circumvesuviana commuter train. This takes about an hour to get to Sorrento. Can't remember how much, but it was very inexpensive.

3. From Sorrento, take a SITA bus (they leave from the Sorrento train station) to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. Also very inexpensive.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:16 AM
SteveJames

Hello Carol,

I've done this a number of times, including last week. Where are you planning to stay? That will decide your best route...

From Rome there are trains almost every hour to Naples. If you are staying in Sorrento you would catch the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento. These leave approx. every 30 minutes from Napoli Centrale lower level station (known as Piazza Garibaldi).

If you are staying in Amalfi, catch a through train from Rome to SALERNO. From there you can get to Amalfi by boat (35 minutes) or by bus (70 minutes).

If you are staying in Positano you can either go by Circumvesuviana train and bus via Sorrento, by boat or bus from Salerno, or by hydrofoil from Mergellina dock in Naples. My favourite route of the three for Positano is by boat from Salerno.

Let me know if I can be of any more help ...

Steve

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:30 AM
Nancy

Capo or Steve: We arrive in Rome at 1:00 pm on a Friday. From what I can remember there is a shuttle from the airport to the Termini in Rome running every 1/2 hour. Do you think I need to purchase the train ticket from Rome to Naples in advance? Or easy enough (being very tired) to obtain in Rome?

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:36 AM
Capo

Nancy, I'd say it might depend on whether or not the Friday you're arriving in Rome is the beginning of a holiday weekend. If so, then it's possible afternoon trains from Rome to Naples might be very crowded.

Unless jetlag knocks you out tremendously, I'd think you wouldn't have much of a problem purchasing your tickets at Termini on the day of your arrival.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:56 AM
SteveJames

Nancy - As Capo says, it depends when. I travelled on a Friday last week without a reserved seat, - and ended up sitting in the corridor. Which month are you travelling?

You're right about the Fiumicino Shuttle, - it's every 30 minutes. You can buy a through ticket at Fiumicino to Naples or Salerno, rather than wasting time queueing at Roma Termini.

Steve

Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
Capo

Steve, when we departed Rome for Naples, it was early on a Saturday morning and we had no problem finding seats in a compartment. However, we returned from Naples to Rome on a Sunday evening -- and it was Palm Sunday weekend -- so, although my girlfriend found a seat in a compartment, I had to spend two hours sitting in the corridor, along with a LOT of other people. It actually wasn't all that bad...but I wouldn't care to make a habit of it.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Nancy

We arrive in Rome Friday, September 28 at 13:05. Is there a place at the airport that I can purchase train tickets? We are hoping to have carry on luggage only, so (if plane is on time) do you think it feasible to catch the 14:45 train to Naples from Termini? There is one at 15:38 that arrives in Naples at 17:39.

Once in Naples, it sounds like it is easy to get the tickets for the Circumvesuviano to get to Sorrento. I am trying to get a better feel for what time to tell the hotel to pick it up, but this may be something I just have to play by ear? Am also trying to avoid the whole day being spent on trains, but it sounds like that may be the case. Thanks for the help.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:27 PM
Michelle G.

Hi Carol! The beauty of the Amalfi Coast is that it is somewhat remote but the drawback of that is that it is challenging to find a DIRECT route to your destination. My husband & I have, on occasion, taken the train from Rome to Naples and taken a taxi from Naples train station to Positano or vice versa. This is a very costly option (approx $100 for the 2 of us) but we have splurged at times (to catch an early flight out of Naples, for example). Believe me, I know that this is NOT cheap, but if you're in a big pinch it can be an option. We've never taken a boat from Salerno. That really sounds beautiful. We'll have to try that sometime. We are going back to Positano in September. Have a wonderful trip!

Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:55 PM
Capo

Nancy, Re: "Is there a place at the airport that I can purchase train tickets?"

If you mean tickets for Rome->Naples, I'm not sure.

If your plane arrives on time at 13:05, that gives you about 1 hour, 40 minutes to pick up any luggage (if you have luggage other than carry on), catch transportation into Termini and buy your tickets to Naples. I think that sounds feasible.

Yes, once in Naples, it's easy to get tickets for the Circumvesuviana. As I recall it was very well marked with signs. I think it was about two hours from Rome to Naples, a short wait (15 minutes or so) for the Circumvesuviana train, and then another hour to Sorrento. There is more than one platform and I think that the Circumvesuviana trains might go to different destinations so just check with someone to confirm which platform/train is the one to Sorrento.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 02:43 AM
SteveJames

Nancy, Capo - yes, you can get through tickets from the airport to Naples.
Your actual 'travel' time from Fiumicino to Sorrento about 3hours 45mins PLUS whatever time you waste waiting for connections ...

N.B. DON'T FORGET to 'validate' your ticket in the yellow date-stamp machine on the platform before getting on the train.

Steve

Jun 23rd, 2001, 03:23 PM
Tammy

Steve, My husband and I will be traveling to Positano next May from Venice. We're planning to take a
train into Salerno and pick up a rental car. I like your idea of taking a
boat to Positano. Do you know if we can take a car on the boat? If not
maybe we can arrange for a rental to be delivered to our hotel. Do you have
a phone number or website for the company that handles this boat?

Thank you for your help,
Tammy

Jun 23rd, 2001, 04:37 PM
Tammy

Jun 24th, 2001, 12:09 PM
--------

FROM ROME TO POSITANO:
· By train: from the "Termini" station of Rome take a train direct to "Napoli Centrale” (travel via the EuroStar (ES) train if possible – they are the most comfortable). Takes just under 2 hours ---After arriving in Napoli Centrale, you’ll need to change to the "Circumvesuviana" railroad (follow the signs). Take the train with destination to "Sorrento" and go out to the last station ("Sorrento" - 1 hour travel). After arriving in Sorrento, can take a SITA bus, line "Sorrento-Positano" (1/2 hour travel).

Website for ‘Circumvesuviana’:
http://www.ilnido.it/CIRCUMVESUVIANA.htm