AMALFI advice, please!

Search

AMALFI advice, please!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMALFI advice, please!

I'm so excited -- have booked three nights in Amalfi in late June! It's our first time staying in this town. (Stayed in Positano 8 years ago).
There are four things I would be so grateful for help at this point...

1. A question about eating DINNER in nearby towns... (Positano, Cetara)
---How late do the ferries and busses run -- is it difficult to get back to Amalfi after having dinner in another town?
--- How much would a taxi cost, and are they easy to get? (We are two couples so can split the cost.)

2. We would love to rent our own boat and explore the coast line. Has anyone done this? Am curious as to the ease and expense of something like this, as well as beautiful places to check out. (If anyone has taken "guided" boat trip, I am also interested in hearing about that.)

3. We want to hike, but are worried that late June may be too hot. Thinking that the hike DOWN to Amalfi/Atrani from Ravello might be nice. Is the starting point easy to find?

4. Would love to hear about any outstanding restaurant or shopping experiences in the area.

Grazie!
Dina
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:32 AM
ekc

The ferries will not be an option for you after dinner. www.coopsantandrea.com for the schedules. You can check the SITA bus schedules at sitasudtrasporti.it

The cost of a taxi depends on where you are returning from. If I remember correctly it was 100 euro to get back to Positano from Amalfi last year.

Late June may or may not be too hot to hike - you won't know until you get there. Sunflower publishes a great book on hikes on the AC that should help you.

We had a fantastic dinner at Lido Azzuro a couple of years ago - I would highly recommend it. We also love Acquapazza in Cetara.

If you are in Amalfi on June 27, you can experience the Sant' Andrea festival and the great fireworks display!
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM

The hike from Amalfi through the Valle dei Mulini is wooded in parts and would possibly offer cover. It takes you by ruined paper mills and small waterfalls. Very nice and easy hike.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Dina, I'm in the early planning stages for a trip to the Amalfi Coast/Naples, grappling with where to stay on the AC.
Where did you decide to stay in Amalfi?
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

After much research, we picked the Miramalfi. The chaise lounges on the rocks by the water are what really sold me. Also, even the cheapest room has an ocean view and balcony. Plus very good reviews for the most part on Tripadvisor.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

ekc -- we arrive on the 28th! too bad.
thanks for the transportation sites.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM
ekc

That's OK, because there is another saints celebration in Cetara on the 29th! So you could go to Cetara, have dinner at Acquapazza (be sure to buy a bottle of their colatura), stay for the processional and fireworks, then pre-arrange for a driver to pick you up and take you back to Amalfi. We did that a couple of years ago (we always stay in Positano) and had a great time.

I am sure the tourist offices in Amalfi and Ravello would also have hiking maps.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

That sounds great! How much do you think a driver would cost?
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 01:01 PM
ekc

It isn't far from Amalfi to Cetara, so maybe 50 euro? Your hotel would also know. Just be sure to pre-determine the meeting point with the driver, as the town will be packed - Festival of St. Peter (San Pietro).
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 01:33 PM

Grazie mille, dina!
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

anyone have any experience with boat rentals?
thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 11:41 AM

HI dina4, I'm following for the boat recos too. I know there are many charter companies and most seem to offer charters with or without a skipper, and pricing seems to be competitive. There are also many defined cruise packages, these often involve a circle around and & stop in Capri, grottos, faraglioni and some time anchored for swimming. These can be pretty small group, like 8-15.

We'd like to rent a boat for a day as well so I'm following for personal accounts and recommendations
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 11:51 AM
ekc

I would ask your hotel for a couple of recommendations for boat rentals. Most of the boat company recommendations I see on this board are from Positano.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 12:05 PM

Just chiming in to say ditto on the Valle dei Mulini. We were there on a sunny late May day and it was a wonderful respite from the heat (and crowds of the town). The sunflower or cicerone books area great investment if you would like to hike.
I also second the rec to visit Cetara--if the festival night does not work out for some reason, just go for lunch and you can take the bus.
Everybody knows everybody, so it is always good to get a recommendation for a driver, boat company, etc. from your host.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We can always ask when we get there, of course.

Yehyeh -- we have been to capri, so were thinking we just wanted our own boat to putter up and down the coast a bit and have fun swimming, etc.

i'll post back if i hear of anything myself.
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 06:35 PM
WWK

I haven't used them, but you can try:AmalfiBoatrentals.com, or Positanoboats.com.

Not the same thing at all, but we did take a water taxi from Positano to Nerano, with a stop along the way for swimming in a cove. The ride there and back was incredibly turbulent. I assume you are experienced sailors??
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 10:37 PM

Ciao

We've eaten at Da Costantino - http://www.dacostantino.com/inglese.htm - on two separate occasions. Fantastic food at very reasonable prices. The view is breathtaking. I strongly recommend you pre book window seats for the sunset.
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 06:48 AM

Dina: You are on the right track with Cetara, and Acquapazza; you should also eat at San Pietro.

We took the buses there and back; they run until around 10 or 11pm (check the schedules but I am almost certain this will be true in late June) and we had no trouble taking the bus back to our base in Amalfi on that visit when we based in that town. they run about every hour or so as I remember. Bus stop on the main road just above San Pietro and a block or so north of Acquapazza.

Getting from Amalfi to Cetara before dinner on the bus we once had a small problem getting a seat (the buses were packed with local vendors making their way back to Salerno at the end of the day). But we went quite early and ifi you go an hour or so later, you should be fine.
Or, take the taxi, as EKC suggested; I'mm guessing in the range of 50-70e--fares seem very pricey to me in that area, but ask the hotel.

(Last year we had a car in the shoulder season; there is a public parking garage in Cetara which is a good thing, as it is near impossible to find street parking.)

Sorry to be terse here: I am away from home and without my usual info at hand! But one thing for certain: I am more than happy to provide whatever help I can, and I KNOW you will have a fabulous trip, and that we all will have a wonderful time reading about it here!

Come to think of it, I need to plan an Italian trip very soon! So busy helping my sister who plans to travel from Naples south to Sicily, via Ravello, Maratea, etc etc in May......not had time to think of my own plans!!
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, eks. I have taken so many notes from your amalfi trip a few years back, and it actually convinced me to use amalfi as a base!

50-70e for a taxi seems high, especially if that's one way. ugh. but DEFINITELY want to get to cetara so we'll figure out a way. we are obsessed with italian tuna, so do not to want to miss this town!!

we are actually heading to sicily after amalfi. considered heading down the coast, but decided on the "fast" (5 hr!) ferry from naples to panarea (repeat visit after last summer!) and then on to sicily thru milazzo. we are heading back to taormina, which we loved so much, and hope to explore some wineries on mt etna.

when i get more organized, i will start a new post to narrow down restaurants...
Old Jan 26th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Your hotel would best advise you on best mode of transport back to Amalfi after dinner. Do not consider the SITA bus -- in the middle of a weekday, we waited over an hour for a bus that was supposed to come within minutes. Their schedule seems on the whim of the driver or traffic. We have a treasured memento photo of the four of us sitting on a curb waiting for the SITA bus. But it was a glorious day in late March so who cared really. We had a great lunch at Chez Black in Positano, still well reviewed, right down on the beach. Le Sirenuse definitely worth a drink or meal in Positano, where we're staying "next time." As we were staying in Sorrento, we did not have dinners on the AC, but instead lunches. I would be very, very careful on the boat rentals, coastline is severe and could you assume to know the currents, etc.? Buy sandals & eyelet in Positano and coral in Ravello!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -