am i getting ripped off?? taxi to ravello from naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my hotel can arrange this for me for $130 euro one way. is that a normal price??! also, besides arranging a car, is there any other way from naples to ravello? thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:16 PM

That sounds about right. I have paid around 100 dollars for a private taxi from the Naples airport to Positano, and Ravello is about another 30 to 45 minutes away. From the airport you could take a bus to the train station, the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, and a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Amalfi and then a bus or cab from Amalfi to Ravello. It's a lot of changes in transportation--I'd pay the 130 Euro and relax.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM

You could also take the train to Salerno and then a car to Ravello (about 45E for the car).
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:01 PM

We paid E100 to go from Naples train station to Positano using Positano cab co.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:27 PM

We commuted to Ravello by a route similar to the one Grinisa describes; taking the CV train to Sorrento (about 70 mins) then the bus to Amalfi (90 mins) and then another bus to Ravello (20 mins). I can't remember the exact cost but the total was only about € 5 each.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:16 AM

It cost us 120 Euros for a taxi ride from Naples to Ravello. Our Italian walking tour guides told us that was the normal price.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Although I didn't go directly the route Sue_xx_yy describes works exactly.

Of course to save 130E you must do some work. But I assume you're doing work planning the trip.

We were based in Sorrento (took CV train from Naples). Then I went from Sorrento to Positano to Amalfi and up to Ravello on a day trip.

Except for how they drive the bus (one foot on the gas, one on the brakes and a hand on the horn) it works fine and costs about 5E give or take a couple.

A compromise was described above. Train from Naples to Solerno and then car from there.

I believe going from Naples to Positano and then back to Ravello is more driving than required. ravell is further East. Just above Amalfi.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Looking at combining some of these ideas -- but still allowing for a taxi part of the way to avoid the local busses with the crowds and handling luggage, do I have this part right?

A taxi between Alalfi and Ravello should be about 30 euro?

A taxi between Ravello and Salerno should be about 45 euro?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM
GAC

The cheapest and fastest way by public transportation is as follows:

Train (Ferrovie dello Stato, NOT Circumvesuviana) from Naples to SALERNO (35-50 mins.) schedules at www.trenitalia.com

Ferry Boat from Salerno to Amalfi (30 mins., approx. 6 runs per day)

Local Bus from Amalfi to Ravello (25 mins., runs hourly)

You can also take the SITA bus from the Salerno train station to Amalfi,(70 mins., runs hourly) which is much more frequent than the ferry. Schedules at www.sita-on-line.it
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Assuming you make perfect connections without any waiting time (unlikely) and adding a half hour for the time it will take to get from the airport to the main train station, the trip will be a minumum of two and half hours. By private car it should about an hour and a half. Now you need to decide if it is worth the extra money to save some time and also save a lot of hassle in changing modes of transportation four times instead of just hopping into a Mercedes (probably) and letting the driver take you to Ravello while you sit back and admire the view along the Amalfi Coast. To me, it would be well worth 130 Euro.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
ira

Hi

I think your rate is about 20E higher than it should be.

Try Renato Cuomo www.cuomonet.it [email protected]
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:20 AM
GAC

Grinisa makes some valid points. Also consider the weather: are you prepared to make all these connections in 90 degree, 90% humidity? For many travellers, paying 110-130 Euros is worthwhile (particularly if your party includes 2-3 travellers) to avoid the travails of "doing it" by yourself (i.e. by public transportation). On the other hand, the train/bus/ferry combination described above WILL be much cheaper, albeit take longer.

As an afterthought, there may be a more direct route which involves only the bus, and only one connection. Here's how it works, assuming that you are departing from downtown Naples:

Take the DIRECT SITA bus to Amalfi (120 min., 5 runs Monday through Saturday), then the local bus up the hill to Ravello. (Don't take the SITA bus which runs through Sorrento and Positano, as that one takes forever.) These schedules can also be found at www.sita-on-line.it

Total cost will be approx. 6-8 Euros, compared to 110-130 by taxi or limosine. You may have to wait for the next local bus between Amalfi and Ravello, which runs hourly.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:33 AM
GAC

Here's how the SITA bus connection works:

Leave Naples 10:00
Arrive Amalfi 11:55; connection
Leave Amalfi 12:10
Arrive Ravello 12:35

OR

Leave Naples 14:15
Arrive Amalfi 16:10; connection
Leave Amalfi 16:35
Arrive Ravello 17:00

The Naples to Amalfi runs are Monday through Saturday ONLY.

(There are two additional runs from Naples to Amalfi later in the afternoon).
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I might do this too, how will I identify the bus which goes straight to Positano where I am meeting my group of friends? I will be taking the train down from Rome to Naples and getting a little worried about the connections.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:27 PM

MF - I don't think there is a direct bus from Naples to Positano. You will have to go by train to Sorrento, then take the Sita bus from there. Alternatively in high season there is a Naples-Positano hydrofoil.

Patrick - €30 sounds about right for Amalfi-Ravello.

Nobody will take you Salerno-Ravello for €45, I fear. Nearer double.

Steve

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:20 AM

I have just booked my flights to Naples and will be flying in for two weeks in Ravello on July 6th,I'll post back with exact prices etc..
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:22 AM

since i assume you'll either be returning to naples or moving on from ravello and it seems the consensus is that the cab is going to cost about 125e each way, why don't you rent a car?

it would be cheaper and afford you mobility at your whim. dependant on what time of the year you'll be going, the amalfi coast road is a delight. the scenery is spectacular and, if you like to drive, it's a real experience.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:26 AM

There is an early morning SITA bus service from Naples to Positano,it takes about two hours.I think the return service is late afternoon.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:56 AM

Thonglori--2 thoughts here--
1. Ravello is a good distance and twisty drive beyond Positano, so an additional 30 Euro for that component seems very reasonable.
2. If you are just arriving after a long day of travel, driving the roads along that route is demanding and at that point of the trip, unless you are experienced with the roads, it would be a treat to turn it over to another and just enjoy the views.

The public transport route takes a much longer time to accomplish, and if you have baggage, factor that in. I tend to be thrifty, but I would definitely opt for the private car option--(they don't charge anymore than a taxi and are far nicer--usually a Mercedes or other upscale vehicle.
Good luck!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM
GAC

The direct SITA bus from Naples (Porto Immacolatella) to Positano leaves at 8:45 a.m. and arrives at 10:40. There seems to be an additional bus at 9:10 a.m. (arrival 11:10 a.m.). Service is Monday through Saturday ONLY.

The return bus (Monday through Saturday only) leaves Positano at 17:00 and arrives in Naples at 19:00.

These buses all go through Sorrento.

www.sita-on-line.it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -