Reload this Page >

Am I crazy traveling alone to France!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:03 PM
megan

I am little nervous about my journey next month to France. I am traveling solo to Provence with an organized tour and I will be spending some time alone in Paris. My friends think I am crazy and maybe perhaps I am. I have not travelled extensively and and I do not speak French. Any suggestions with basic travel do's and don't will be greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Karen

I hope this comforts you even though you do not know me but...I have been to Paris several times by myself and I did just fine. Take a phrase book but there are many people that will speak English. Just learn a few phrases such as Bonjour= Hello Merci= Thank You etc..always attempt to speak in French if you can. Being humble really helped me especially in tight situations. <BR>I think you will do fine. There is a wonderful book that I like personally that may give you some insight into French culture. The name of the book is Culture Shock: France (they have other books for other countries). It explains some things that you may or may not be interested in. <BR>Have a safe trip.<BR><BR>Karen<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Book Chick

Megan,<BR>You are not crazy at all. Learn a little French between now & the time you leave. Some very essential basics will be fine, like "please" "thank you", "where is the bathroom, please?" etc. You can go about acquiring that knowledge a lot of different ways: audio tapes or cassettes, an adult ed class in your local town, parlo.com<BR><BR>Research as much as possible where you'd like to stay if you don't have a reservation yet for Paris. Book your hotel, get a confirmation, and use the same good, practical common-sense smarts you would about walking alone at night, etc. (Always trust your intuition.)<BR><BR>You will be fine and enjoy Paris!<BR><BR>Traveling alone is sometimes the way to go, & I've never had any problems when I've done it.<BR><BR>Bon Voyage,<BR>BC

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:26 PM
john

<BR>Ignore your friends who evidently have never been out of state.<BR>Get a copy of Dena Kaye's "The Traveling Woman," Fodor's "Affordable Paris," Michelin's "The Green Guide Paris," and start reading. <BR>It's too late to learn French but you can work around it. About 1/3 of Parisians speak English and another 1/3 understand it -- if you present yourself right. Just say "I'm sorry but I can not speak French. Do you speak English please?" Ignore the rare gruff reply. <BR>Smile. You can do it.<BR>www.enjoy-europe.com<BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:52 PM
lisa

Lots of people travel alone. Even though Paris is exotic, in many ways, it's still just a city filled with people. You'll feel very safe during the day and find it easy to move about, as public transit is so good. At night, you need to ask locally about where it is safe to go. The sun is up very late in summer, in any case. Generally, Paris is safer than a lot of American cities. There will be lots of English speaking people to help you, wherever you go.<BR><BR>You might consider picking up a tour or two while you are in Paris, and hope to meet people on that tour. They'll have information on lots of choices whereever you stay. Plus there's a big tourist information center near the Arch de Triomphe. (Your hotel can direct you there.) <BR><BR>There will be tours within the city, and day trips out, to places like Versailles. You can book while you are there. <BR><BR>At night, it could be a little lonely, but maybe you'll meet some people to hang out with if you do a group tour somewhere. <BR><BR>Here's my best travel don't: Don't wear shoes you haven't worn a lot for walking before, and, if you do, take band-aids in your purse, just in case!<BR><BR>

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:59 PM
janis

As the others have said - you will be just fine in Paris on your own. After London and Edinburgh, Paris is probably the city I feel most comfortable when traveling solo. I am embarassed to say I speak very little French - just enough to get by. I can read most menus, ask for directions and make basic polite requests/answers. But all of that is what I've picked up actually there on various trips. So learn a few words/phrases and you pick up more when you are in France and before long you will feel comfortable. <BR><BR>Most of the main tourist sites in Paris are within walking or short metro rides of each other and are in safe neighborhoods. Just use basic commom sense - and you will even feel safe walking around at night.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Maira

May is a great, beautiful month to travel to France. Soon, the beautiful surroundings will be all that'll occupy your mind. I would be more worried about friends who seem to want to discourage such an inspiring zest for life. <BR><BR>As far as practical tips, strongly advise to get the Streewise Paris foldable, plastic street map. Priceless. Study the metro map. Get familiar with a bird's eye view image of Paris (N-S-E-W). Take a day tour trip to Versailles. Have a great time!!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Suzie

Megan,don't be afraid to be in Paris alone! I am an older woman, and travelled there last October alone for 10 days, and had such a wonderful time I'm going back in May for another 10 days. I know some French and have been brushing up with tapes, but lots of people seem to speak English, especially in the hotels. As previous posters have said, just learn a few of the basics, and don't be afraid to use them. I found people to be quite helpful there. I took the Metro everywhere with no trouble, and walked miles - so be sure to take good walking shoes. Anyway, don't listen to your fraidy-cat friends. Go, and have a ball!

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Lisa

Go and have a wonderful time. You only live once and you don't want to live that life with regrets on what you didn't do because others laughed at you. Your friends will be so jealous when you get back and are showing your photos and telling the stories of your adventures in Europe. <BR><BR>I've traveled solo in Paris on two occasions and can honestly say that I only have learned a few key words. Smile and be humble enough to ask for help - you'll be surprised at how helpful so many people are.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:26 PM
daphne

If you start to feel lonely in London or Paris, take a group walking tour. Sometimes you meet s/o else who is alone and you end up sightseeing together a bit.

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 02:00 PM
another

It's natural to be a little nervous. Really, though, when you travel solo you get to choose to do and see exactly what *you* want to, no compromises necessary. <BR><BR>If you go to Zagat's website, there is a category of restaurants to choose from for solo travelers. And there are websites geared for tips for single women travelers. I'm sorry I can't think of the link off the top of my head, but if you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it fairly easily. Have a great time.