Search

Alsace to Basel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alsace to Basel

I need help on planning a trip in the Alsace area. I will stay in Strasbourg for two nights and then rent a car to get out of town. I'm thinking about stopping in Fribourg on my way to Basel.The next day I'll drive back to Strasbourg. Along the way we would like to stop by Eugasheim and Colmar. Is this too ambitious of a plan? How is the drive through that area? Your help would be appreciated. Oh, I will be there late October early Nov. Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM

I can't help you with the driving,but I was just in Strasbourg/Colmar/Basel in late September. We did what you are doing but by train and it was quick and easy so I would imagine that the driving route would be similiar. Strasbourg has so much to see as well as Colmar and Basel that I would probably skip Fribourg...from your post it seems like too many cities to see in 4 days. We spent 5 days and didn't see all we wanted, we never made it to Fribourg although it was on our agenda. If you are in fact just going to be in Strasbourg/Colmar/Basel I wouldn't even rent a car, the trains were just fine. You do need a car if you want to go to the wine villages. We found a service out of Colmar that took us around to the villages for about 50E...
Les circuits d'alsace
www.alsace-travel.com
03 89 41 90 88
It was a small van and being off season, we were the only ones so it was almost a private tour. Hope this helps, it's a wonderful area.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM

From Freiburg to Basel you might want to stop in Weil to visit the Vitra chair museum--the building is a relatively early Frank Gehry.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:35 AM

One more thing, make sure you do not take the autobahn all the way to Switzerland. If going only to Basel, it would be a waste of money to pay for the vignette. Get off the autobahn before the Swiss border.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:18 PM

I don't know what your interests are--but there is an incredible automobile museum in Mulhouse--just north of Basel. Musee National de L'Automoblile-Collection Schlumpf, located at 192 Avenue de Colmar in Mulhouse contains hundreds of vintage autos including a huge collection of Buggati's, the premier racing machines of the 1920's and '30's. Fantastic!!

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:14 PM

Unless you are really interested in Basel, I would skip it this time as your plan really is too ambitious for the time you have.

I would take a day to travel from Strasbourg to Colmar along the Route du Vin, with stops at Obernai, Haut Koenigsbourg, Ribeauvillé, Riquewihr, Kaysersberg, Eguisheim and whatever other towns and villages appeal to you.

The next day continue on to Freiburg (I assume you meant Freiburg-im-Breisgau that than Fribourg Switzerland). You'll want to spend some time there, as it is a lovely city. Alternatively you could continue towards Mulhouse to visit the auto museum mentioned by jinx, and the Ecomusée d'Alsace, at ungerheim just north of Mulhouse (although it might not be open at that time of year).

Depending on how much time you spend in Freiburg, you can take the Autobahn back to Strasbourg, crossing at Kehl, or if the weather is nice and you have time, head into the Black Forest up the Elz and Kinzig valleys (B294) through Waldkirch, Elzach, Haslach, Gengenbach and Offenburg. The B3, through the Black Forest foothills north from Freiburg is more direct, but not quite as scenic.

If you really do want to see Basel, then head straight there on the autoroute from Colmar, returning on the German side with a quick stop in Freiburg.

One problem with trying to fit too much into two days is that the days will be fairly short at the beginning of NOvember.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM

I have done the Strasbourg to Colmar to Basel (and onto Zurich) drives on more than a few occasions. I just love the culture, food and great wines of Alsace.

Anyway, it takes only about 45 minutes if you take the Autoroute (major highway) or a few hours if your take the Route de Vin.

In a couple of occasions, upon landing and spending either a lunch ofr a dinner at Strasbours, I'd drive down to Colmar where I'd spend the night.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:43 PM

A big YES to spending time in Freiburg (Germany)! It's a beautiful, bustling university town with much to offer. I. too would skip Basel and spend more time in and around Freiburg.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 03:38 AM

Remember that if you drive into Basel you might well have to purchase a vignette, a pass to allow you to drive on Swiss highways. This is only available on an annual basis, and costs about 35 euros.