Reload this Page >

Alsace region of France

Search

Alsace region of France

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 01:58 PM
elena

Alsace region of France

Have a wonderful itinerary planned from Munich south to Lindau north to Baden Baden further north to Cologne southeast to Nuremberg and return to Munich. Want to take day trips from Baden Baden into the Alsace region of France. Interested in beautiful little towns that will offer wonderful days of walking, eating, drinking and then walking some more. Can you help? Thank you. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:13 PM
kam

We are visiting Alsace in October following a meeting in Paris. The main city seems to be Strasbourg, of course, and Colmar, but we are staying in a very small town where they still have a night watchman at a hotel called the "Deux Clefs". Town is Turkheim. Even Strasbourg is a walking city--have been told to focus north of Colmar. The French National Tourist Board has a web site and they will send you very promptly everything you ever wanted to know about anywhere in France. Really terrific. Even city maps that you usually have to pick up locally! I'm really excited about our trip and hope you'll have a great one too. P.S. One very pretty town but some have warned me that it is too touristy seems to be Ribeauville. We'll have a look anyway! <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Joyce

To both Elena and Kam: You must see Eguisheim, a small village south of Colmar. You take the bus from the Colmar train station. It has to be the cutest village in the world. There is a special walk denoted as "Scenic Walk" or something of the sort. It goes through a narrow street bordered on both sides by charming little houses with windowboxes loaded with flowers. Riquiwihr and Kayseberg are appealing towns, as well as Ribeauville, but I think Eguisheim is tops anywhere. Enjoy!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 02:27 PM
cindy

There are many small villages to stay in that area. We stayed in Colmar, which I thought was very nice and then drove along the Route de Vin and visted the wine villages. You can get a map in the tourist office or I sent away for one from the Alsace tourist authority during my "planning stage" for the trip. The wines were great - and we even got invited to see the cellar at one winery! I think I also visted the web site for that region and got some info ahead of time. In Colmar, we stayed at the Hotel Rapp - convenient location and a huge breakfast included.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 06:35 AM
elena

Thank you everyone-wish I was there right now!!! Kam, found a short but informative website for Alsace - http://town.hall.org/travel/france/alsacep.html <BR>I'm off to connect with the tourist authority!!