Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any good vegetarian restaurants in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 09:52 AM
jen

I'll be going to Europe in a few days and I'm wondering if there are any restaurants that cater to vegetarians in Munich, London, Paris, Vienna, and Krakow. I know how hard it is to find meat-less dishes in the u.s, but maybe it'll be easier in Europe. Thanks.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 10:11 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Jen, I too am a vegetarian, and worried about that years ago when I first went to Europe. I do eat some fish though, and love vegetables and fruit, and never really have a problem other than misinterpreting something on the menu so I try to learn a few words regarding this for specific countries. I guess it will depend on how strict you are, especially if you don't eat fish, or dairy/egg products. I haven't been to London or Krakow though, but have heard London may be difficult.

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 10:35 AM
Jen

Cheryl: I don't eat any seafood and don't particularly like eggs or cheese. Love fruit and soups (non-meat based preferred). It could be fun seeing what I get, it won't go to waste, my family will eat what I don't!

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 11:58 AM
Joe Ovey

London is a mecca for vegetarians, so I don't know where the contrary opinion comes from. Lots of veggie places. I believe the UK has the highest per capita number of veggies of any countries outside India! Also is supermarkets (for self-caterers) almost everything carries a label stating whether it is suitable for veggies or vegans. <BR>Germany is more difficult, as is France apparently. Russia is a nightmare! I don't know about Poland.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 10:15 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Hi Joe - glad to hear that as we hope to get to London within next year or so and have been dismayed to hear about the food. Actually, my info comes from English friendsliving there, and also friends here who visit over there with relatives. But it could be just their opinion or tastes. I'm still looking forward to going sometime. Jen, have a great trip.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 11:10 AM
Mary

Maceo in Paris offers a vegetarian prix-fixe menu which was fairly extensive, when we visited in March. Run by the same people who own Willie's Wine Bar, in fact just two doors down the street if my memory serves me right. You can mix and match from the regular menu if you care to. Wonderful food, charming atmosphere, it was our favorite meal in Paris. Good luck!

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 07:30 AM
Wendy

We have just returned from a trip to the UK where the numeber of vegitarian restaurants and vegitarian options on menues is wide spread. We were told that ever since the beef scare last year more and more people have been looking for vegitarian options. My daughter is vegitarian and we had no trouble finding great food for her to eat. I'd like to recommend a restaurant in London called <BR>Cranks. There are actually 4 or 5 of them in London. <BR>We found it through the Cheap Eats book by Gustafson. The food was really great and the prices were reasonable. Even my husband, a real meat and potatoes sort, loved his entree so much that we bought the Cranks cook book! Have fun.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 10:03 AM
Gabi Richard

Hi there, <BR>When you're in London, there's a terrific little vegetarian restaurant you mustn't miss. It's named "Food For Thought" and is in Covent Garden, on Neal Street. My brother has worked there for 4 years so I have eaten plentiful amounts of their food and everything is wonderful! (you can even find vegan dishes if you wish).It's very casual and friendly and generally has a line out of the door at lunchtime. <BR>Other options include some excellent Indian restaurants, all over London. A favorite of mine is Kastoori in Tooting Bec (an area in London - it's on the tube line). It's located on Tooting Bec Road and has some of the best Indian food I've ever tasted (many vegetarian dishes) <BR>Have fun! <BR>