Alsace Recommendations

Nov 21st, 2000, 10:02 AM
Tom

Alsace Recommendations

I'm looking for something new to tack on to a London/Paris Christmas trip. I haven't visited Alsace and thought it would make for good sight during or right after Christmas. Any ideas or recommendation. Budget is not a big concern, but the best value is always prefered.

Nov 21st, 2000, 10:21 AM
have

I went to Alsace for the first time this summer and loved it. Someone posted the following URL for Christmas in Strasbourg, which looks wonderful:

http://www.strasbourg.com/noel99/

Nov 21st, 2000, 10:31 AM
christal

We stayed in a cute little town called Riquehwir in a hotel that was designed like a small castle. It was relatively inexpensive. However, I guess that the town is quite sleepy in the winter after the fall grape harvest. Probably a town like Colmar might be a little more interesting. Strasburg was a little large for my taste, but is a easy drive to the Black Forest area in Germany for a day trip.

Nov 22nd, 2000, 04:31 AM
Sanne

Hi Tom.

I definately recommend Colmar as your base - and especially if you book hotel in "Little Venice" area, which is very very charming (If interested I can supply you with details of some nice hotels) from there you could visit Riquewihr, which is a beautiful mideval village (very charming) and if interested in castles you could visit "Haut Koenigsburg".
My e-mail is: [email protected]
Sanne

Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:19 AM
Ariel

YEs, yes, yes - go to Alcase. I was there recently visiting my parents (expats from Canada). The poeple are incredible, the restuarants in all the little towns are great and the towns are like nothing you have ever seen before.

Definately go to the town listed above. Get a map of Colmar before walking around - we got a little lost, as the streets go every which direction.

You must have Tarte Flambee as a starter and head to the small wine shops for some amazing deals and excellent wines. Also have lunch in a local pub or restuarant - sit outside if the weather permits and definatley drink some wine with your lunch. The service aloows you to linger over your meal (don't be upset that they are not all over you - they are much more laid back.)

Also check out the local chocolatier shops - heavenly.

In Strasburg be sure to see Le Petit France area - so cute.