Alsace Heat in June?

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alsace Heat in June?

We have found a wonderful looking place to stay in Alsace that is not air conditioned the next to last week of June, 2010.

After reading various posts, I am concerned about the heat. Being from Florida, the last thing I want to do is go on vacation during the summer (I am a teacher and the summer is it!) and burn up!

We have been to Italy (Venice, Montepulciano, Florence) in June w/o air and we were fine.

Before I pull the trigger (that means commit to a gite ) does anyone have air conditioning insight in Alsace of which I should be aware?
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:48 PM

It's likely that Alsace will be quite a bit cooler than Italy - but there are no guarantees.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM

All weather is subject to change and occasional temperature extremes.....however, it is hard for me to imagine the Alsace being hotter than Venice or Florence. If you were OK in those hotspots w/o AC, I do not believe you should be overly concerned about the Alsace.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:28 AM

Hello,
june can be extremely hot in Alsace and extremely cold too, from one day to the other. Be sure to have the A/C in your room but it's not easy to find.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:46 AM

I was in Colmar during second week of June last year. The days were mostly overcast w/ few showers. Not the kind of weather I had hoped for. If you can surivive Venice and Florence in June, you definitely can survive in Alsace.
I'm hoping too that there won't be a heat wave during second half of June next year when I plan to be in southern France.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM

After during bike tours in this area for a decade i would say it would be the rare June day you would ever need AC - thus the reason most hotels and local residences don't have it i'd think

Be more worried about too cool weather IME
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM

Also its far enough rom the coast not to get those very wet hot days you can get in Bordeaux or Verona.

Like Palenque I'd expect to be a bit chilly around the knees if in shorts. Where is the Gite, on the Valley floor around Colmar, down on the Rhine or up on the Vosges side. Might make a slight difference
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:32 AM

Basel is right on the Alsace border and there were a couple of days in June this year that were muggy and warmer than we would have liked. But it got worse in late July.

If you're near Basel and it gets really hot during your trip, come on over and join the locals floating down the Rhine (from the Tingueley Museum to the Mittlere Rheinbrucke or thereabouts). Lots of fun.