Alone in Paris

May 26th, 2001, 06:15 PM
marnola

Alone in Paris

Hi there, I need some help. My husband is going to Europe on biz and I am tagging along. I will be alone in Paris for 4 days while he goes to Luxembourg. I need some recommendations for a charming but reasonable hotel that will be safe and in a good area. I have never been to Paris before. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! I plan to hit (so far) Musee d'Orsay and Picasso Museum. I would say high on my list are museums, people watching, food, and shopping. I speak a little French. Thank you!

May 26th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Lori

We just stayed at the Relais Bosquet hotel in the 7th - nice hotel, ask for one of the "superior rooms". We had view of Eiffel Tower. It's 1.5 blocks from Ecole Militare Metro Stop & between Ave. Bosquet and Rue Cler, a lovely pedestrian street lined with food stalls, flower shops etc. There are quite a few places to eat in the general area as well as on Rue St. Dominique, about 4 blocks away. It's a very safe neighborhood, my husband's has relatives that live around the corner from the hotel, we never felt it was unsafe, even late at night. The 7th is quite residential so along with the Eiffel Tower you get flavor of 'life' in Paris. We have stayed in many areas of Paris over the years, the 8th, 6th, 16th, 1st Arr. etc. but like the 7th the most. Paris is not a large city, you can Metro everyplace and it's a great walking city as well. I would highly recommend this hotel, check out their website (everyone at the hotel speaks English too and the owner is a very nice person). If you do a search on Fodor's you will find a review I did of the hotel.

May 26th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Lauren

Just to reassure you, traveling solo in Europe is not a problem. I have done it many times and have never had a problem.

Have fun and welcome to the club!

May 26th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Betsy

I wouldn't hesitate to stay alone in the rue Cler area of the 7eme. The area seems really safe.

May 26th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Pat

I'm also a fan of the 7th arr., but last fall our favorite hotels in that area were booked, so we stayed in the 1st arr. at the Hotel de la Place du Louvre, and were very pleased. Super location right across from the Louvre, next door to Samaritaine dept. store, steps from Pont Neuf and the river, and with 2 metro stations very close by. Hotel staff was very helpful, breakfast was great, and the rooms are nicely furnished. At night, from the nearby cafes on the river, you can see the Eiffel Tower lit up.

May 27th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Maira

The Hotel Muguet is on a quiet side street on the 7th residential area. Walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Place Des Invalides, Musee D'Orsay, Musee Rodin is on the back. Great bistros located on nearby main streets. Since it's a nice residential area (next to many tourist sites), it has a post office, laundry, hair salons, great restaurants, all very close by. Rue Cler is about 15 minutes walk. Within walking distance to two metro station, Ecole Militaire and Latour-Maubourg. http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet.htm. About $105/night for a double. The staff was very courteous, say hi to the adorable, friendly poodles that own one of the sofas in the lobby

Also, try this website http://wfd.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?lang=en
When you type the name of the establishment, and/or the address, it gives you photos of the place and of the street where it's located (up and down shots). This site has been posted on this forum dozens of time and it always amazes somebody

Have a great time in Paris!

May 27th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Betsy

The 7th gets my vote too! A 2 star hotel right on Rue Cler that is great is the Hotel du Champs De Mars. I'm an even biger fan of the Hotel Latour Maubourg, also in the 7th. Both are in most guidebooks. I like the Latour because it is small and its like staying in someones home. The owners, the Orsennes are wonderful and it is only 10 steps from a metro stop.
Traveling alone in Paris is easy.I do it often and for me it is one of the easiest cities in the world to dine alone in for dinner. Never has a waiter slacked off from service or made me wait because they assumed I was waiting for someone, which I getin other cities.There's so much to see that I prefer being alone so I can choose exactly where I want to go and how long I want to stay there. Like many European capitols, Paris is a great city for walking both day and night.
Feel free to e-mail if you would like any more info about Paris.
have a great trip

May 27th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Deb

Be sure to go to St. Chapelle and Notre Dame-not to be missed.

May 28th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Pat

A little more on the expensive side, but I've been in your situation many times and settled on the Hotel Regina on Place des Pyramides. Full service hotel, THE BEST location for walking to everything or taking the metro. Across from the Tuileries and the lower part of the Louvre. Close to three different metro stops, walkable to the Louvre, D'Orsay. Rue St-Honore the street behind, filled with shops and small places for shopping and food, Angelina's down the block. Avoid the "bird men" hanging around the entrance to the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower - Annoying - sticking those fluttering things in your face so you'll buy them. Good luck. By the way, some of the most expensive hotels in Paris are a block or two away.

May 28th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Pat

Forgot to add - Cityrama - or a tour company has their pick up office right down the street. YOu can take a tour of Paris, a day tour of the Chateau's and others. I took a short tour to orient myself. I also took the day tour to Chateau country by myself. Had a wonderful day with a delicious lunch in an Orangerie (sp???)- an outdoor garden with a partial covering. There are lots of other choices.

May 28th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Marnola

Wow...thanks for the great advice. So far I am getting "booked" responses from most of the suggested hotels. The Champ de Mars is booked and so is everyone's favorite budget hotel, the Grand Hotel de Balcons!!

The Hotel St. Christophe has room for me they responded today http://www.charm-hotel-paris.com at 630 FF. Also went ahead and reserved one at the Serotel Lutece (Best Western) for 880 FF. Super deal seemingly is the Hotel du Parc at 330 FF, but it's on the border in the 14th - very close to my first choice of areas.

I am trying to stay around $80 U.S. -- and would like to be in the 6th or 5th. Hope that helps. Thanks for your advice!

May 30th, 2001, 08:45 AM
kate

I stayed in the Latin Quarter at Hotel Cluny Sorbonne - my room overlooked the Sorbonne and I watched evening classes from my window. It was a great hotel for the money - the staff were incredibly helpful and spoke perfect english. It was located just down the block from the Cluny Sorbonne Metro station plus it was very close to wonderful shopping on St. Germain (great little doll shop over near there) it was near Notre Dam and St. Chappelle (which I actually prefered over Notre Dam). there is so much to see in this area plus it is so easy to get to everything else. Definately walk through the Jardin du Tulieries outside of the Louvre that brings you to the Obliesk - with the Arc and Champs Elysee in the background. Musee D'orsay was great - there's a great little restaurant that looks out on Notre Dam - I forget the name of it or the street but it's right next to Shakespeare & Co. bookshop. I went alone to Paris and had an incredible time - blended in with the parisian lifestyle and enjoyed myself - never felt afraid - even when out late at night.

enjoy your trip!