Alone in Italy - bad idea?

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 01:35 AM
Fiona

Alone in Italy - bad idea?

I'm planning a trip to Italy in April/May but I've here so many tales of theft and harassment that I
wondering if it's a bad idea. I know if I use my common sense crime related problems should be minimised but I really don't want to be hassled by Italian men the whole time. Should I decide on a different destination?
Anyexperiences welcome.

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 08:27 AM
elinor hendrix

Tell me the kind of visitor you are? Can you go with no reservation? I just got back asnd had no trouble -- just go as if you were going across the U.S. There are too maNy variables to give an answer. write me and I'll tell you how.

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 11:43 PM
Fiona

I'm a female British student travelling on my own, staying in budget accommodation (mainly hostels) I'll be travelling by train and visiting the main sights (Rome, Florence, Venice)and possibly a few more out of the way places as well eg Sienna, Capri, Pompei (sp).

Old Jan 30th, 1998, 02:39 PM
Andrea

I'm also female, planning a solo trip to Italy this spring, and interested in any insights you can share. I'll be taking language & art classes for 3 wks. in Florence, then spending a couple weeks touring other cities, staying in budget hotels & pensiones in Rome, Venice, Milan. What has been your experience, traveling alone? How much were you bothered, followed, etc. by Italian men, and was it worse in any particular parts of the country? How were you treated in restaurants, for instance, when eating alone? Thanks for any info. or advice.

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 07:18 AM
Linda

I was in Florence last year on my own, and I did not have any problems. Everyone was so nice! The men give you compliments, but they don't harrass you. If they see you with a guide map, they'll be happy to help. They also like using their English. I am traveling to Milan, Florence and Venice on my own in a few months, and I'm not worried. I did not have trouble with pick pockets, but I left all my good jewelry at home. In addition, I only carried a very small Coach purse. The purse strap was across my body, and I wore it inside my coat. Just be careful. Don't carry a lot of cash. Have fun!