All favorite Switzerland - But time is the issue

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be my first trip to Europe. I am covering Paris, Nice and Switzerland. I would be travelling with my wife and both of us are OK with hectic trips and some extra travelling. After covering Paris and Nice, I would be arriving Geneva on 15th June and would be taking a train directly to Interlaken.

Now my problem is I have too few days to see the most beautiful part of the world.

On 15th, I plan to stay in Interlaken or may be go to Bern and come back
16th - Jungfraujoch

After this I am totally confused what to do. I have a flight back from Zurich on 19th morning and I am planning to spend the night of 18th in Zurich itself to avoid any hassles in the morning.

Please suggest what all places to cover (I can cover and I must cover)
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:43 AM

I would spend all your time except the last day in the Jungfrau Region - 3 days - there is so so much to do. And if going by train as I suspect (cars are useless in the Jungfrau Region) - if coming from France by train and staying 4 days and traveling around daily on trains by all means check out the Swiss Pass or Swiss Transfer Ticket - anyways great sources for Swiss train and pass info and Jungfrau transports - thrilling mountain trains, jaw-dropping aerial gondolas goingoff in all directs.... check these superb sources: www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com.

The Jungfrau Region IMO is the absoute highlight of Switzerland - the dreamy Alpine paradise picture of Switzerland perhaps etched in your minds' eyes - glacier girdled peaks rising thousands of feet over lush meadows - by all means stay right up in dem hills - in a mountain town like Grindlewald or Wengen - have stupendous views from your hotel balcony, etc.

If rain sets in day trip to Bern but the joy of what you call the most beuatiful part of the world is up in dem hills not in Swiss cities nice and really nice as they may be.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:52 AM

Agree with the above. It can easily take 3 days or so before you get one with a clear view at the top of the Jungfrau. Although it may be sunny in the valleys the top of the mountain is often in the cloud and you may not be able to see you hand in front of your face (that happened to us the year we got to the top). On the days you can't ascend you may want to take boat trips on Lakes Thun and Brienz and visit those signs which have a lot to see and do. Or walk the trails on the lower flanks of the mountain.

As for your last night, I would spend it in Lucerne, which has trains that go direct to Zurich airport (train station under airport) in only an hour. This town is much more charming than Zurich, which is primarily a business city.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:52 AM

Spend all of the 18th in Interlaken/Jungfrau area and take the train to a hotel at Zurich airport in late afternoon or night. That way you get the full day to spend in Jungfrau region (AKA Berner Oberland) before you fly out the next morning.

Here's a suggestion for hotel in the Zurich airport area:
Allegra Zurich Tel: 44+ 1877 330103
www.galahotels.com/en/Home

We got a room here through gala hotels and got a great price. <u>Allegra has a free shuttle to the airport.</u>
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:57 AM

Don't fail to go to Schynige Platte. One of the best experiences we had in our trips in Switzerland. Your hotel will have a TV channel that will show which peaks in the area are not clouded in.
http://www.alpengarten.ch/en/arrival