alkmaar/cycle/ijselmeer

Jun 29th, 2000, 04:56 AM
jennifer

alkmaar/cycle/ijselmeer

hi,
I'd like to explain our route idea, in order to read other people's opinion, if they think it can be done:
we'll be in Amsterdam the first week in August, and will rent bikes to visit some parts of Holland. On Friday (4th August) we'd like to go to Alkmaar, maybe by train, spend there the morning, and later go by train until Enkhuizen or Hoorn and get back to Amsterdam exploring the Ijselmeer coast towns (the named two, Edam, Volendam, where we may be take a boat to Marken, is it available?, and get back to Amsterdam on the dyke from Marken).
What do you think about the plan?
Is Alkmaar very crowdy that day to be there with a bike?
And the Ijselmeer route, is worth a visit? The train trip, is it available?
I'll thank any recommendation or comment.

Jun 29th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Sjoerd

Yes, this trip is nice and can be done. You can take your bikes on the train (for a fee, of course). Have a look at: www.ns.nl Alkmaar will be relatively busy with tourists that time of the year. Hoorn and Enkhuizen (go to the Zuiderzee open-air museum) are both very nice, and so are Edam and Monnickendam. Volendam is one big tourist trap and not worth the trip.
There is a boat from Volendam to Marken, and Marken is very nice. Sounds like a nice trip.
Leave early to see everything!

Jun 29th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Dorothy

This sounds like a great route but a lot for one day, especially on a bike. We found the Zuider Zee outdoor Museum great and spent the whole day just there. Too bad you are going to miss the tulip fields.

Jun 29th, 2000, 08:26 PM
Dorothy

Sorry I misread your plan that you would do this by train which makes more sense but you would have the bikes to get from the train to see things. Sounds good but the Zuiderzee museum would be a little rushed to see it all. Have a good trip.

Jun 30th, 2000, 12:08 AM
jennifer

Hello,
first of all, thanks for the replies. A friend of mine told me that from Enkhuizen to Volendam there are some 40-50 km (25 miles), and from Marken about 15 km to Amsterdam. That would be the only way we would make cycling, being the rest by train. What I was not sure was, if on Friday morning it is possible to leave somewhere safe the bikes in Alkmaar or, if it is necessary to bring them with us during the cheese market, it might be difficult with so many tourists. I think there is no direct train between Alkmaar and Enkhuizen, and it is necessary to change in Hoorn. Otherwise, do you know anything about fare of the ferry Volendam-Marken, timetables...
If Dorothy could read again the message, what do you mean we'll mess the tulip fields? Are there anyone appart of the area Leiden-Haarlem, I mean near the area I want to visit this day?

Jun 30th, 2000, 01:49 PM
dorothy

Sorry my finger got on the wrong key. I meant you would miss the tulip fields being in bloom since you are going in August and they bloom in the spring.

Jul 6th, 2000, 05:10 AM
jennifer

Thanks to everybody for the answers, but just a couple of questions:
does someone know which timetables have the Volendam-Marken ferries (and how much it costs travelling with bikes)?

I've read to someone here in the forum asking the possibility of renting bikes at train stations. Is it really true? Can someone rent a bike at a train station and leave it in some other place?