Where should we go?

Jul 5th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Amy

Where should we go?

My boyfriend and I would like to take a week-long vacation in August. We have lots of frequent flier miles so can go just about anywhere. We just can't decide where we want to go! We are both graduate students so money is a bit tight. We would like to go to Spain but we are concerned that it will be unbearably hot in August. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jul 5th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Lori

FF miles generally need to be redeemed pretty early on for the peak tourist season - and many programs have "peak periods" when mileage is more, i.e. 60,000 miles instead of 40,000 during off peak. There are blackout dates to consider too. Taking all that into consideration before I got to excited about a destination check with your FF program and see what might be available at this very late date.

Jul 5th, 2000, 09:52 AM
Bob Brown

If you can find the flight, and a budget class hotel, I suggest Paris. I was there last year and had a great time.
Paris can be costly, so you must select your hotel carefully. There are several
decent enough suggestions in the budget category. August, however, is heavily touristed.

Jul 5th, 2000, 10:31 AM
Carrie

I love Paris! But in August, most French people go south for their vacations, so a lot of shops close up... So, I would recommend Ireland...

Jul 5th, 2000, 12:55 PM
Al Godon

Ireland is a great suggestion! I just hope you can find a flight. Have you considered Western Canada?

Jul 5th, 2000, 10:09 PM
stephen

you should select a number of european cities and ride the overnight train between each one of them.

Jul 6th, 2000, 05:21 AM
Kate

Redeeming ff miles in August to go to Europe is going to be nearly impossible. I tried a month ago and I was unable to get any flights in or out of Paris. I was trying to travel at the end of August. I suggest that you start trying NOW!!!!!