Alitalia Across The Pond - Yes or No

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at flying to Italy this summer and are considering Alitalia. With no prior experience with that airline, we are seeking information on RECENT experiences. Please weigh in if you qualify. Obviously, I am not concerned with safety but rather reliable performance and amenities, especially in business class.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I normally fly "cattle car." If you are flying business class, you've got to be kidding. I can't imagine any "bad" business class flights. Of course, it's been years since I've flown overseas on business class.

BTW, on my past September 2004 trip to Italy on Alitalia, we were seated in the bulkhead seats right behind business class. I didn't see any uncomfortable people up there.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:45 PM

gradyghost, for what it is worth I was talking to a friend in Italy today that travels all over Europe on business.

I use to love Alitalia, but the past years have not used them because they seemed to have gone downhill.

My friend in Italy told me today that Alitalia is doing much better, that they have really improved in all ways.

But personally I have not flown with them in several years so cannot give you any personal experiences, only what my friend relayed to me.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM

I have never flown in Business class, but have flown with Alitalia a few times in the last couple of years, without a problem.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:00 AM

Their only problem, IMO, is there tendency to go on strike and leave people stranded. This happened to two friends of mine in May 2004 when they had joined me in Europe for a few days. Next strike is set for sometime this month. If cost and/or schedule (i.e. having to use a connecting flight) is not a major issue with you, I would pick another airline.

There is also of course their constant threat of bankruptcy, but there are plent of other airlines out there with that same problem.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:50 AM

Unless you're desperate, I'd pass.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the useful information. NYC: I'm not desparate but Alitalia is offering an attractive 50 day advance purchase, nonrefundable deal in bus class. With my bad knee (won't bend) and bulk, I need the space. Gradyghost
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:45 PM

i flew them coach last may, and it was ok. the food in coach was pretty good. but the FAs did have some attitude. but before flying i was constantly checking about possible strikes...that was my biggest worry.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM

Alitalia was on strike today (Italian time). All flights were cancelled.

There was suppose to be a rail strike today also.

But gradyghost, even if you don't fly on Alitalia and use another airline instead you can still have a problem with the aircontrollers going on strike in Italy. That has happened to me.

The only good thing about the strikes in Italy is that they are announced in advance and usually do not last over 8 hours.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Gradyghost, if the deal is good, go for it. In September, we found Alitalia staff on the ground particularly unhelpful and difficult. In the air, they were ok.

Our flights were fine: on time, etc. However, we needed to make a small change in our itinerary and Alitalia staff, on the phone for weeks before the flight, by email in the same time period, and in the airports in Italy, were truly awful.

I have a friend who believes the staff are disaffected and angry, and I guess I understand. USAirways staff were quite the same way for a long time, but it didn't do them any good. Things just got worse, for passengers and employees.

Alitalia lost me as a customer, if I have a choice. But if I could go Biz Class on them, or cattle on another airline, I would definetly go Biz on Alitalia.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM

We've flown business class in Alitalia many times with only one problem (they didn't honor our preassigned seating and wouldn't sit the two of us together). We flew from Athens to Rome on a strike day and were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the airport from a Santorini flight to find that Alitalia had rescheduled us on an Olympic flight at roughly the same time as the original flight. I have no hesitation in flying business class on Alitalia. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM

We flew their business class on a couple of flights within Europe last summer, but not over the pond. On the inter-europe flights, we were not impressed with the planes. Everything rattled and the seat upholstery (not leather) was stained. The service was fine and they were on time, but the food was pretty bad (even for airplane food). Perhaps the facilities are better on transatlantic flights, but we were glad that we had an Air France flight back over the atlantic.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Grady: if you really want opinions on Alitalia, go to this site:

www.airlinequality.com

There's all manner of opinions there, but the overall pax rating on that site is 4 stars for Alitalia-very good business class, not so good economy class.