American Airlines: Please Read This

Jul 24th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

American Airlines: Please Read This

It seems like every time I fly American Airlines they make a big thing about announcing that we want you to use the toilet in your ticketed cabin. However, on the last flight I saw at least five people walking from the economy to the first class cabin to use the toilet. Some were successful and others were turned away.

On British Airways and Qantas, the have a sign posted on the bulkhead of the economy class section that says on British Airways, toilets are located behind you. On Qantas, the sign says, Do not proceed into the Business Class cabin unless it is an emergency.

I suggest that American place a sign on the first row of economy that says Toilets for your rear are located in the rear, or something like that.

I suppose American Airlines could announce in 1,000 different languages that they want you to use the toilet in your ticket cabin, and that could be their entertainment on a 16 hour flight, but people are not getting the message on their flights. British Airways and Qantas are having more success than American with their sign.

Anyone agree
Jul 24th, 2006, 01:35 PM

wally..

If you gotta go, you gotta go and if there was a queue for the toilets in economy and the toilet in business was empty, I wouldn't hesitate to use it...what's the matter, our biological needs just because we're not spending the company's money don't count? It's alright to give them better food, free booze and whatever but when it ocmes to biological needs, that's another story. Like I said, if it was an emergency, I wouldn't hesitate to use the toilets in the holy business class cabin.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM

xyz, people pay a premium to travel in business class. One of things they pay for is a less crowded bathroom.

Unless you're about to start pissing blood, I'm afraid you'll have to hold on until the bathroom you've paid for is vacant. Disobeying this is arrogance beyond belief.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Arrogant...I said in an emergency...perhaps you think people just because they pay a premium should get their own private towels...perhaps they should get a fly attendant to open the door for them...

Yes they pay a premium price for..

wider seats
better food
free booze

I have no problems with that

I even have no problems with giving them more bathrooms per passenger.

But in an emergency, I will say it again, I wouldn't think twice of using the business class loo and I see nothing wrong with it, nothing in the slightest.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM

xyz, it really does depend upon what the emergency is.

If you are about to give birth, I wouldn't begrudge you using the Business Class loo.

However, if you have a desperate need to take a leak then you use your bathroom in the cabin you have paid for. If you have explosive diarrhoea, then the business class folk really don't want your economy class poo fouling their bathroom. You've got to hold on, buster.

As for your other comments, you show a distince lack of understanding as to what business class pax pay for. They do not pay solely for the seat, but airlines offer other incentives. I don't know any airlines that offer an attendant to open the bathroom door, but that's certainly an idea I'll pass on to Willie Walsh. Thanks.

One thing that is most certainly paid for by business class pax is a more private cabin. They do not want economy folk disrupting the atmosphere because they have eaten some dodgy chicken in Bangkok or have not exercised self restraint on the free booze (this would obviously not happen on an American carrier).

As you said, I think most people would accept you using the business class loo in an emergency. However, pissing/soiling your pants is NOT an emergency but merely an embarrassment.
Jul 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM

So I guess our only real argument is what constitutes an emergency...quite frankly I have been on flights where the queues to the loo grew a little long and one loo was out in economy and the flight attendant herself suggested using the loo in business class...I never said I would as a matter of course go up and use the loo in business class...I repeat in an emergency I would...I'm sorry biology is biology whether it be economy, business or first class but I don't understand why you are in such a snuff regarding this.
Jul 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Evidently, some people think they leave a better quality product behind in the loo than other people do. I'm all for having less crowded potties, but the snotty hostility toward people "under pressure" is just obnoxious. Are you really going to make me explain to the FA and everyone else around why I can't wait for the line at the back of coach to clear? A lot irritates me about the attitude of those think coach travelers deserve to be treated like lower-order livestock, but nothing irritates me more than the "stay in your own yard to poop" announcements and signs.
Jul 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Looks like I really started something here. But the key here is if it is an emergency, they need to make an exception.
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:41 PM

Whether I'm in first class or economy, if a person needs to go - let him/her go in whatever bathroom... It may not be an "emergency" to poop one's pants, but I wouldn't wish that on the rest of the passengers. Have you ever spent time sitting next to someone who's messed their pants? Think about spending 6+ hours next to that person in a confined space. I would say that anyone who would refuse the restroom to a fellow passenger should have to sit in that passenger's pants for the rest of the trip. I think begrudging someone the use of a bathroom is pretty harsh.
Jul 25th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Why not use the bathroom in First? It's probably even less busy.
Jul 25th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I've never used the toilet in front unless I was seated in that class. But then I rare use a toilet on a plane regardless. (think the last time was on a flight that has stopped where I was continuing on the same plane).

But I wouldn't hessitate to use the front if there was a really pressing need and the other was unavailable.

Don't want to mess my pants and the plane to keep the folks in the front from the missery of my walking through their section.

Keith
Jul 25th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Keith,

for the last few months, AA has the captains make a formal announcment that one should use the toilet(s) in the ticketed cabin. The announcemment is part of a "new security TSA" directive, yeah, right.....

Anyway, theoratically, you can be arrested and charged with breaking the "new security" rules and laws by not following the crew members directions if you choose to not listen to them. Whether you or I agree with the directive is pointless once you get arrested and the rest of your day is "screwed".

Let's not forget, it's mostly US based airlines that took out the cabin separating curtains. Many of the international airlines still have them, and it does put a natural barrier without anything being said or posted.

Lately, I have seen on AA, mostly on international flights, the FAs use a "homemade(usually rolled up towels)" as a barrier between cabins. Kind of tacky, but very effective in separating the intracabin traffic and frees the FAs from repeating the instructions to the paxs. If AA wants to keep this policy, it's fine, but why not invest some money in curtains, and if the FAs are still afraid to have a regular curtain, a clear, see through curtain? It would certainly look better than the "homemade" ropes and there would be no need for the "stupid" announcements.
Jul 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Forgive me but how does stipulating what loo you can use enhance security? Or is it just another of the many TSA things that hassle 99% of us to show they are doing something which we all know do nothing to enhance security?
Jul 25th, 2006, 08:50 AM

xyz123,

I'm trying very hard to remember the exact announcement and since I don't listen to it any more (result of frequent flying), I have a hard time remembering if it was:

1. It's a new TSA mandated security measure

2. It's a new security measure

3. it's a new AA security mandated measure

before I discuss it any further, allow me to say, that whatever excuse is used, it's BS, IMHO.

but, I also undersatand why they do it.

I believe the first issue is the FAs. Believe it or not, even after 5 years, many, especially the older ones, are still "afraid", and they do hold some power during the flight and will use it.

but the real reason at this time, is probably the fact that the first domestic cabin was so degraded in the last few years, with disappearing food and no pre-flight drinks (on many flights), etc., that finally the actual few first class ticket purchasers as well as the frequent flyers sitting in the little cabin in front were saying enough is enough. I believe AA is doing this as a kind of "upgrading" their F domestic cabin without spending any money. Believe me, many people see this as a nice perk, along with being able to board first and "hopefully" get a pre-flight drink.

but as I said, AA should stop using the security BS, and just simply install some kind of a barrier, either a rope type or see through curtain, between the classes. It would satisfy the "still scared" FAs, and it would be a natural barrier for intracabin crossing without any signs and or announcements needed.
Jul 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM

As I understand it, the alleged "security" reason for this rule is that TSA doesn't want passengers to congregate outside the cockpit door waiting to use the restroom. On several recent flights, I have observed the FA sending passengers back to use the restrooms in the rear of the plane. Even when the have allowed them to use the restrooms in the front, they have required passengers to wait in line behind the first or business class cabin.
Jul 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM

Pretty pathetic if the only perks to First and Biz are now boarding first and getting to go to the bathroom first.
Jul 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Geez, I suppose that First Class ("We paid more!") passengers will next claim that they should receive oxygen first in the event of loss of cabin pressure. Or maybe be rescued first if a crash occurs?

Your "stuff" stinks too. Maybe worse with the rich high fat food consumed.
Jul 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM

And the sad thing is that much of the time, these snobs in business class are either:

1. Business people not paying their own way but rather using the company's money which ultimately is passed along to us in the form of higher prices for the goods or services of this particular company or

2. Simply people who paid the same ecnomy fares as we did but because of frequent flyer miles or undue influence are bumped up to business class.

Imagine, they might have to share their private lavatory with the peasants in an emergency.

Give me a break.
Jul 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM

My last few trips to London in Business on AA, the announcement did not state anything about security or AA regulations only to please just use the restrooms in your ticketed section.

This was ignored by a few people, except notably one young lady who went to the same business class loo twice immediately after the plane was airborne & kept looking furtively around as she was coming & going.

After the 2nd time, she plopped herself into am empty seat in the first row of business, thinking she'd pulled a fast one. The FA immediately made her go back to coach. The man across from me called the attendant over & told the FA the woman had been acting oddly (she had been) & the FA thoroughly checked the bathroom & came back & thanked the man who mentioned it to her. A co-pilot also had come back to check things out. I hasten to add that my neighbor on the plane wasn't concerned that she had used the bathroom, just the way she was behaving.

Why is it that people sitting in Business class are being referred to as snobs? Jealous, perhaps?
Jul 25th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Read the posts by cosmic_toadstool to see what I mean by snob....

Again I think I said it....I have no problems with giving people paying higher fares or having enough influence to be upgraded better food, more service, free booze (AA of course started the trend of charging economy pax for booze something the European airlines have not found necessary to stoop to) whatever...I don't even mind they have more bathrooms per passenger than the cattle class...but this attitude that just in case somebody has a problme to exercise his or her biological needs and sees a free bathroom while there are 3 or 4 people waiting on a queue in coach class would annoy somebody well I feel that is being a snob.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO