Alhambra Tour time: Monday in March w/ Margarita

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2024, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How early should we book the Alhambra tour? We have secured Margarita Ortiz for our private tour!!! Thank you Maribel!
It will be on Monday, March 5, which I'm hoping is a "slower day"..... Is 10 AM ticket time too late? We would meet her at 9:30.
We have a great breakfast at the hotel, and it would be our first morning in Granada,... just wondering whether we should get up super early and start sooner?

Thoughts?!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 09:42 AM

pattytravel,
You're so lucky to have secured Margarita for a tour as she's very much in demand! I understand that you want to enjoy your breakfast at the hotel so you're thinking of the 10 am slot for the Nasrid Palace. I don't know that it will be a "slower day" because in the winter they allow student groups during the week. I would go with whatever Margarita recommends, as she is the ultimate expert for the proper time in early March!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Gotcha! I asked her for her recommendation and didn't get much input. So yes, we should do an earlier time, aka 9 am. Thanks so much Ms. Maribel! I have a list a mile long of info from you! getting closer to trip time!! yay
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 09:59 AM

The earlier time, for me at least, was better, as it avoided the bus tour crush from the coast that arrives between 10 and 11.
Have a great time!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Granada Hotel: distance to Alhambra

Originally Posted by Maribel
pattytravel,
You're so lucky to have secured Margarita for a tour as she's very much in demand! I understand that you want to enjoy your breakfast at the hotel so you're thinking of the 10 am slot for the Nasrid Palace. I don't know that it will be a "slower day" because in the winter they allow student groups during the week. I would go with whatever Margarita recommends, as she is the ultimate expert for the proper time in early March!
Maribel: I would like your thoughts on my 2 hotel choices: Hotel Club Seda or Hospes Palacio de Los Patos. I have res. via Amex Travel Platinum desk... The distance to the Alhambra is much farther than I thought for both.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 10:36 AM

I really don't like the location of the Palacio de los Patos; I've toured it; the large palace rooms are lovely but the annex, contemporary rooms, not so much, with little privacy. It's just not centrally located. Lovely hotel, not so great a location.
I haven't yet seen the Club Seda. as it's so new, but I think the location is much, much better, an easy walk from the cathedral. I would definitely keep that reservation for the Club Seda.

Don't worry about the distance from the Alhambra from any downtown hotel. You can taxi quickly (not expensive) or take the red minibus 32 from the Plaza Isabel la Católica up to the Alhambra. Most people choose to stay downtown rather than on the Alhambra hill unless they snag a highly coveted room at the Parador, which is within the Alhambra complex itself.

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 24th, 2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 12:33 PM

About Alhambra tickets, I bought 11 o'clock entry, but that is the time for entry to Nasrid Palace isn't it? I bought those because there were the most tickets available...But the website does say that one should be there an hour earlier than your entrance time to allow time to make your way to Nasrid Palace.

I also booked Margarita for a tour. Her suggestion was to start at 9 and see the garden first before our 11 am entry to Nasrid Palace.

So I had a bit of confusion also wondering what was the best time to book entry. If I booked the very first entry, would I have to be there an hour early or is that just a suggestion? Too late for me but maybe helpful to others.
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 01:42 PM

we did a tour with Margarita in October and it was great! just wanted to mention that there was a bit more "wiggle room" in the time to enter the Nasrid Palace when we were with her, rather than the guidance on the website. Margarita is well known to everyone there, and once your passport is scanned upon initial entry at the Justice Gate, she will assess the crowds and lead you on the best route. So I would recommend choosing the morning entry time that works best for you and leave yourselves in her hands. we found Margarita to be warm, articulate, beyond smart and just delightful to spend time with!
Old Jan 24th, 2024, 11:18 PM

Thanks adlmllr good to know.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel
I really don't like the location of the Palacio de los Patos; I've toured it; the large palace rooms are lovely but the annex, contemporary rooms, not so much, with little privacy. It's just not centrally located. Lovely hotel, not so great a location.
I haven't yet seen the Club Seda. as it's so new, but I think the location is much, much better, an easy walk from the cathedral. I would definitely keep that reservation for the Club Seda.

Don't worry about the distance from the Alhambra from any downtown hotel. You can taxi quickly (not expensive) or take the red minibus 32 from the Plaza Isabel la Católica up to the Alhambra. Most people choose to stay downtown rather than on the Alhambra hill unless they snag a highly coveted room at the Parador, which is within the Alhambra complex itself.
Gracias Maribel, eres fenomena!
I will cancel Palacio de los Patos and take good notes on Club Seda and pass them on to you! The reviews thus far sound great.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adlmllr
we did a tour with Margarita in October and it was great! just wanted to mention that there was a bit more "wiggle room" in the time to enter the Nasrid Palace when we were with her, rather than the guidance on the website. Margarita is well known to everyone there, and once your passport is scanned upon initial entry at the Justice Gate, she will assess the crowds and lead you on the best route. So I would recommend choosing the morning entry time that works best for you and leave yourselves in her hands. we found Margarita to be warm, articulate, beyond smart and just delightful to spend time with!
Thank you for this! Fantastic! We are so looking forward to this tour. (I booked the 9 AM! so we will meet her at 8,30 AM).
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by natylou
About Alhambra tickets, I bought 11 o'clock entry, but that is the time for entry to Nasrid Palace isn't it? I bought those because there were the most tickets available...But the website does say that one should be there an hour earlier than your entrance time to allow time to make your way to Nasrid Palace.

I also booked Margarita for a tour. Her suggestion was to start at 9 and see the garden first before our 11 am entry to Nasrid Palace.

So I had a bit of confusion also wondering what was the best time to book entry. If I booked the very first entry, would I have to be there an hour early or is that just a suggestion? Too late for me but maybe helpful to others.
natylou, she didn't give me a start time and just said for me to pick what I wanted.... Maribel suggested getting there before the buses so I booked the 9 AM tickets. There were plenty of those available, and I just figured, better early than later (and we will bite the bullet and wake up super early to take advantage of breakfast at our hotel!! The DH will just have wait for another day to sleep in!!). Margarita confirmed to meet her at 8:30 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 09:53 AM

That's great, pattytravel!