Alghero (Sardinia) hotels

May 18th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Alghero (Sardinia) hotels

Hi,

I'm planning to take my Mother away to Sardinia for a week to celebrate her birthday ("milestone" birthday..say no more)

I've been thinking about the El Faro hotel in Porte Conte just outside Alghero, but am having second thoughts. I've been to Italy a lot, but never Sardinia; usually, I tend to stay in the heart of towns or cities where I can go and find a nice traditional restaurant, a bar/cafe, and sit & watch the world go by. What worries me about El Faro is it's outside Alghero, and because I don't know how far, I'm just wondering whether I'd be better off staying in Alghero itself.

Can anyone offer some advice? Has anyone stayed at the El Faro? If not, what hotels have you stayed in in the Alghero area?

Many thanks

Will
May 19th, 2003, 06:57 AM
GAC

If you rent a car, you'll have no problem staying at any of the seven beach properties northwest of Alghero (I've past by them all). If you rely on the local bus system, your best bets are the following four: hotels Punta Negra, Corte Rosada, Porto Conte, and El Faro. Hotel Punta Negra, which I visited, is just outside of Fertilia. It is five kilometers from the airport, 500 yards from Fertilia itself, and there are about 10 buses daily to and from Alghero, which stop on the road directly in front of the hotel. Punta Negra has air conditioning, a good pool, a private beach, and a buffet-style dinner. There is also evening entertainment during the summer.

Hotel El Faro is more exclusive and rather more expensive, and the same buses which stop at Punta Negra end at El Faro, where they turn around and return to Alghero. Before reaching El Faro, the bus stops at the hotels Corte Rosada and Porto Conte, both less expensive, but still with a/c. All these hotels require mezza pensione during the summer.

If you decide to stay in Alghero proper, I recommend the Hotel Catalunya and, for a real splurge, Hotel Villa las Tronas. The main advantage of staying in Alghero proper is that you can have bed and breakfast, and experience the local city restaurants for dinner. You can also better experience Alghero's very lively night life (although the last bus from Alghero to El Faro leaves at 23:30).

It's not an easy choice, I too grappled with the decision before choosing to stay in Alghero.
May 19th, 2003, 06:59 AM
GAC

The bus from Alghero to Punta Negra takes 20-25 minutes; less than ten minutes longer to reach El Faro.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM
GAC

The best value hotel in Alghero proper is the intimate two-star bed and breakfast Hotel San Francesco, whose 20 rooms have been converted from the cells of Franciscan monks, and wrap around the charming cloister of the Church of San Francesco in the heart of Alghero's Old Town. This hotel is the ONLY hotel in the Old Town. It is about 300 yards from the bus stop (to Sassari, Bosa, Porto Conte, Capo Caccia, and the airport), and there are many restaurants in the immediate vicinity. Rooms have private facilities, telephone (no TV), and air conditioning has just been added (an absolute necessity in summer). Rates are moderate, and include breakfast.

www.sanfrancescohotel.com
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM

I had been looking at this hotel. Woould I be able to walk to a beach? Is there parking nearby?
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:27 AM
GAC

The hotel advertises having a private garage. You can get to the beach by city bus from the Giardini Pubblici 300 yards away. You could also walk to the beach in 30-45 minutes, if you wish (might be too hot in August)