Algarve to Gibraltar to Morocco?

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Carole

Algarve to Gibraltar to Morocco?

We will be spending February and March in Algarve as we have done for the past 5 years, and wonder if anyone has ever driven to Gibralter from there and gone over on the ferry to Morocco. I know there are 3 day tours offered which include Tangier, but we thought it might be fun to go on our own. Any advice out there?

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 02:15 PM
elvira

I've never done the ferry thing, but be prepared to be swarmed by "guides" at the port in Tangier.
Tangier is not very interesting (it's a legend in its own mind - and ours) but Chefchouan in the mountains, Marrakesh, Meknes, Fez, and Volubilis ARE. You can do it yourself, just be prepared for the "guides". If you do hire a guide (and I recommend them for touring the medinas and villages in the mountains), do so through either your hotel or the tourist office.
Lodging is cheap; food is cheap; the experience is priceless....it's a wonderful country, three days won't do it justice, try to spend at least a week to 10 days. Here is the website of the agency we used for our camel trek into the Sahara (they also provided the guide in Marrakesh who was magnificent - physically and intellectually).
http://www.imilchil-travel.com/

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 05:26 AM
Manuela

I've done the trip by car. Spent one week in Marocco, rented car there (best thing to do). Don't stay in the North, go down to Casablanca and Marrakesh.
Absolutely worthwhile.

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 04:04 PM
Carole

Ola, Manuela,
Thanks for your reply. Did you drive from Algarve and where did you leave your car. Is the ferry to Morocco a
passenger ferry. Where would you rent the car in Morocco. Thought about driving down the coast to Marrakesh and maybe over to Fez. Could you give me more information about the trip please.
Obrigada

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 05:09 AM
bo_jack

Your message suggests "Gibralter" to Morocco. We were in Gibralter last year and took a ferry day trip to Cuenta from Algeciris. At that time, it was my impression that there are no fast ferries from Gibralter, itself -- that they all depart from Algeciris -- a rather unattractive Spanish town, but about 1 hour closer to Portugal. While we felt safe leaving an empty car there for a day -- I would not do it for several -- unless I could get it into an enclosed garage.

Old Dec 20th, 1999, 05:41 PM
Mae

We will going to Morocco from the Algarve .Hoping to travel by local train or bus, any suggestions? Did any body do this? I can get to Seville from Portugal but then what bus or train do we take from there to ferry? Obrigada Mae

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 03:19 AM
peter

Take a bus from Seville to Tarifa (leave every 2 hours)- spend the night in Tarifa an amazing small windsurfing centre with a beautiful old town built by the Moors (do not bother with Algecerias) then catch the ferry early in the morning - just behind the castle in the port (only once a day) to Tangier. Be prepared to be completely harassed and overwhelmed by the touts and guides - ignore them and make your way to the Continental Hotel - can see it directly from the Port - it overlooks the harbour. Enjoy Tangiers - I love it. Also Chefchouen is fantastic - great views and walks. Avoid the Rif unless you want to buy kilos of hash. Fez and surroundings is also great.

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 06:20 AM
mae

Thanks Peter, for the info now does anybody have any hints on travelling trough Morocco? Should we take the train or buses? Hope to spend 5-6 days there and want to get a feel of the place. Places we should avoid? Thanks again.

Old Dec 24th, 1999, 09:02 AM
elvira

Mae: check the Africa forum do a search under Morocco. You'll find a boat (or camel)load of info about this amazing country!

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 03:55 PM
Bev.

Carole,
We are traveling to Portugal in March, staying in Algarve for one week. This is our first trip. What kind of things do you suggest we do the week in Algarve. Can we get to Spain easily for a day trip? What towns are your favorites? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jan 1st, 2000, 01:10 PM
Carole

Hi Bev.
March is a nice time in Algarve, but a week is not a long time to see everything. You can get to all the places very easily by car, doing day trips. I love to go to Seville which is 3 hours away by car. Its a beautiful city, well worth seeing In Algarve we like Armacao de Pera, Lagos, Caldas de Monchique, Portimao and Albufeira, where we are staying. You really need more time there. Any more questions please contact me by e-mail