Algarve and Malaga

Search

Algarve and Malaga

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Algarve and Malaga

My wife and I want to explore retiring in either Spain or Portugal. We understand the Algarve and Malaga regions are desirable. We would like to take 3 months to make a good decision and want to know the least expensive months and recommendations on coastal towns and/or cities where monthly furnished apartments might be available.
Thanks, I look forward to your suggestions.......Michael
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:21 PM

This is a travel forum maybe write on a so called expat one?
Where you live is always personal and more important personal idea then say a few nights for a vacation. So this decision is going to be fore you.
First question is do you need a visa? Have you applied for one or do you know you can meet the requirements for one?
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your clarifying questions.

We are citizens of the USA, my understanding is a visa is not required for visits of less than 90 days in either country. This will be a return trip to Spain and Portugal but we have not yet been to either the Malaga or Algarve. Any information from experienced travelers is welcome.

Michael
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 07:45 AM

I know that a visa is not required. But before you make a huge effort in looking for somewhere to lay your hat etc just ensure you can get that long term visa.
Can you speak the language of either country? Do you want to surround yourself with The British that have settled around the coasts? Why have you chosen Málaga and the Algarve? Why not anything in between. There is the US military base at Rota.

Your 2nd to last sentence is rather dismissive, I am a very experienced traveller. But I do not need a Visa to travel within the EU:
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you once again for your questions and your insightful input. I'm sorry you took a comment to be dismissive. To give you a little background, we have visited 60 countries so far and hope continue our travels for many years to come. Also, we lived 10 years in Central America so are versed in requirements in visa and residency requirements. Your questions were valid since you had no way of knowing.

We have chosen to explore Malaga and Algarve based on things we have heard from friends and outside sources. The reason for 3 months is, we have seen too many headaches and had monetary decisions made by people who made nasty decisions.

As I initially said I welcome all input I can garner on these two regions.........Michael