Alcala de Henares or Chinchon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am considering a day trip from Madrid, and am wondering which one is more interesting. We won't have time to go to both. We might also try to spend a night, maybe, in one of these places. I have read in some threads that Chinchon is not that interesting? Thank you for your thoughts.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Hi Sukistar,
I'm assuming from your other threads that you have already done the usual "big 4" days trips to Segovia, Toledo, El Escorial and Avila and are searching out other smaller places that you may have missed.

I know both. They're easily accessible from Madrid, although Alcalá de Henares is closer and has become a virtual suburb-just 30 km away. To reach it, you can take the commuter trains, C1, C2 or C7 that run every 15-20 min. from Atocha.
To reach Chinchón (no train service) take La Veloz bus 339 that leaves from Avda. Mediterráneo 49 (near Conde de Casal metro).

As to which is most interesting...
That really depends on what you're looking for-

Alcalá has its Cervantes monuments (Cervantes was born here and you can visit his Casa-Museo), an atmospheric Calle Mayor, a Renaissance university (you can visit its Colegio Mayor San Ildefonso), churches, including the catedral magistral and one of the largest collections of storks's nests in the land (along with Alfaro in the Rioja). Historically and culturally there's more of interest.
There's also nice dining at the Hostería del Estudiante and a just-about-to-open Parador next door.

Quaint, tiny and very Castilian Chinchón boasts a very atmospheric irregular shaped, porticoed Plaza Mayor where bullfights are still held in Aug. and which has been a movie set-scenes from 2 Orson Welles movies filmed here. It's surrounded by mesones (taverns) where madrileños flock on weekends for the roast lamb ritual, plus some handicraft shops and bakeries selling yummy pastries laced with the local liqueur, anís.

But I wouldn't spend the night in either, as I just don't find that much that's compelling enough to justify a night, but there is more to see in Alcalá.

Have you been to Aranjuez? It's also an easy day trip via commuter train (50 min.) and I personally prefer it to the two above because I enjoy visiting the Royal Palace (Bourbon dynasty's Versailles) and the lovely garden, Jardín del Príncipe. And the Royal Boathouse has been made into a museum of royal barges. But that's just a personal preference.

Where I would spend the night (in addition to the usual suspects of Segovia and Toledo) is the provincial capital of Cuenca, the much photographed city of the hanging houses (hanging precipitously from sheer rock) and the impressive Museum of Abstract Art and the Espacio Forner and Sacred Art Museum. If you're an art lover, it's very worthy of a day and overnight as it's a much longer bus trip from Madrid. The express service takes 2 hrs., departing Madrid at 10 am.
(www.avanzabus.com)
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your insightful descriptions of both places, so detailed and exactly what I was curious about. Indeed, we have been to the other towns except for Segovia where we will spend a night at the brand new La Granja parador and see the castle there (do you recommend this, or perhaps we should just spend the night in Segovia). For another night in the vicinity of Madrid, we were thinking of somewhere we have not visited before, either Alcala or Chinchon, but now I am not so sure. I have been to Aranjuez and Cuenca, but many years ago that they are both rather vague in my mind, so maybe it's time for a revisit...and yes, especially Cuenca was a peculiar town, rather dramatic, and my sister, an artist, has not been there before, so maybe we will do that instead. Thanks for your sugestions, I am going to check out the feasibility of visiting those places instead.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Sukistar,
If your sister is an artist, I'm sure she would enjoy a visit to Cuenca and an overnight at the Parador. Not only do you have the Museum of Abstract Art, a compelling stop for an artist, but also the Espacio Torner, housed in the San Pablo church, which is the collection of Gustavo Torner, a Cuenca abstract artist, and the Fundaciíon Antonio Pérez, another collection of contemporary art. There's also the Museo Diocesano of Religious Art, which houses some El Grecos. So please consider it as an overnight option.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Btw, my sister, from Korea, travelled through Andalucia plus Madrid and the surrounding towns (Big 4) using your guides just this past March and told me to say thank you for your absolutely spot-on, very helpful guides. She's a huge El Greco fan, so that did it. We are spending the night in Cuenca and just booked a night at the parador there. Thank you!
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:51 AM

Hi Sukistar,
Sounds like a great plan.

About the art:

Pics and info on the Espacio Torner
www.espaciotorner.com

The Museo de Arqueología de Cuenca displays archaeological finds from the Roman ruins of Segóbriga.

The Museum of Abstract Art in one of the Hanging Houses is considered one of the best collections of abstract art in Europe-I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
http://tinyurl.com/6gsobp

And the Museo Diocesano de Arte Sacro has works from Byzantine to modern, including the El Grecos and Gerard David. It's open Tues.-Sat. from 11-2 and 5-8 (4-6 in winter) and Sun./hol. from 11-2. But closed Mon.

Some of the rooms at the Parador have full front views of the Hanging Houses straight across the Huécar River gorge-other rooms have views of the cloister. It's a former Domiincan convent from the 16th century.

For more info about Cuenca, see
www.turismocastillalamancha.com

Wishing you and your sister a fantastic time!
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Amazing, such detailed info. We will certainly ask for the view at the parador. I would never have come up with this stop at Cuenca, so it's quite exciting. I really appreciate your taking time to suggest this. Thank you!