Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st visit to Madrid, plan a day trip or not???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for all the help I have received in planning our first visit to unfamiliar territory--Spain

Ron and I will be staying in Madrid 4 1/2 days. I know there is more to see than time allows so I was wondering whether to plan a daytrip to either Toledo or Segovia. Before arriving in Madrid, we will have spent 3 nights in Burgos and two weeks in the Basque/Pyrenees regions of France.

thanks again for any suggestions, Deborah
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Hi DeborahAnn,
Me again.
We just returned from a very enjoyable and quite easy day trip (our second) to Segovia on the new AVE. I highly recommend it. We took the 8:30 AVE rather than the later AVANT (all the AVANT rides cost €9) and arrived exactly 30 min. later (little scenery, you go through 3 long tunnels).

It doesn't matter which train you choose to Segovia-Guimar. They all take 1/2 hr. On our "AVE" ride (which continues to Valladolid), our passenger car was actually a "Talgo", and coming back on the "AVANT" train we were seated in a preferente (business class) "AVE" car (same price). They switch these cars around all the time. Same high speed line.

You really could take one of the later AVANT trains to Segovia and still have plenty of time to see the aqueduct, cathedral, Alcázar, have a coffee on the Plaza Mayor, visit the Eduardo Vicente Contemporary Art Museum (if you're a fan of that art form) to see the Circus in Spanish Art show (including some Picasso pen and ink works) even taxi down to the confluence of the Eresma and Clamores rivers for that perfect picture postcard photo of the Alcázar and a visit to the fascinating 12th century Church of the Vera Cruz across the road.

Plus lunch between 2:30-3:00 and back to Madrid on the 5:00 AVANT.

The bus 11 from the new Segovia-Guiomar station, in the middle of a field, 4 km. outside of town, took us only 15 min. We were the only passengers in the am. It drops you off directly in front of the acueduct. The bus is timed to meet the trains.

Very easy. The only time-consuming part was the long metro ride from our hotel to Chamartín station in the northern business section from where the AVE to Segovia departs.

Since your hotel is on Calle Atocha, and you'll have no luggage, you could walk down ten (fairly short) blocks (downhill) to Atocha station and take any Cercanías train (but quite crowded) up to Atocha. They depart every 6 min. or so, and ride takes 15 min. Fare is €1.15.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, thank you so much for your valuable advice. I gather for a 1st time visitor you would recommend a trip to Segovia rather than Toledo.

thanks again, Deborah
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM

I do admire (but don't love) Toledo, and it has an extraordinary setting, a wealth of great art, a fascinating history and mixing of three religions/cultures, Jewish, Islamic, Christian, but a day trip there is more "work", at least for me. When I love Toledo is when we overnight there, either at the Parador or the Hostal del Cardenal, after the bus loads go back to Madrid (and ever present sword & damascene shops have closed!). Toledo has a very mysterious quality for me at night and seems far less tourist-oriented then.

The Segovia vs. Toledo debate is a constant here, and I think it really depends on your interests.

Those who have a Hebrew heritage and interest in the Jewish diaspora really should visit Toledo's Sephardic Museum and Sinagoga del Tránsito plus Sinagoga de Santa María la Blanca.

Those who love El Greco should head straight to the Museo de Santa Cruz and Iglesia de Santo Tomé (El Greco House & Museum currently closed).
And the cathedral is far more impressive than Segovia's with more El Grecos and other treasures, silver and gold in the Sacristy.

And currently at Museo de Santa Cruz, for those who love Spanish art in general, there's a special exhibit on Spanish Portraiture: From Goya to Sorolla (my fav. Spanish impressionist) running until May 25.

But since you'll be in Madrid in May, you'll want to head straight to the Prado for the blockbuster Goya show. There will be many special activities in Madrid (also Segovia will have a few too) commemorating the bicentennial of the Napoleonic invasion (2 de mayo).

And if you love marzapan, Toledo's Santo Tomé shop is a must!O
(I'm more partial to ponche segoviano!)

It's really up to yours and Ron's interests.

AVANT trains (30 min., 9 euros) to Toledo leave from Atocha station.

One more note on Segovia:

You can also take the metro from Antón Martín, line 1, straight up to Chamartín to catch the train to Segovia-Guiomar. Ride will take 25 min. (lots of intermediate stops) but less walking. The Antón Martín station is about a 4 block walk downhill from the Hotel Plaza Mayor.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Hi deborah Ann, for a first trip to Madrid, of a few days,
the daytrip I would do isEl Escorial and may be leave it there. Toledo for the day, although it has it setbacks for one day would be my second choice.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Madrid is a large city with great museums.
Also the Palace (worth a visit}, beautiful Retiro park, elegant Salamanca district etc.
We were there for 6 full days and visited Toledo only.
It is a bit touristy , easy to get to ,and lovely.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM

I'd say definitely yes, though you'll have no trouble finding plenty to do in Madrid if that's all you want to do. I was able to manage day trips without overnight stays to Toledo, Segovia, El Escorial, and Aranjuez from Madrid and see pretty much everything I wanted at each. If forced to rank these four destinations in order of preference, this is how I'd do it. The first two cities are very hilly and cobblestone paved, so wear good shoes.

Note that the train stations for El Escorial and Segovia are a long, long way away from the things you'll likely want to see; cabs or city buses will probably be necessary part of the way. The bus stations are a lot closer to these areas and place you within easy walking distance.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the help, so many possibilites and not enough days Deborah
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM

Hi. Leaving on Sunday for 2nd trip to Portugal & Spain. When last in Spain (2 years ago) saw Seville and Granada (particularly the Alhambra, which we loved). This time we are booked to stay one night at the parador outside Toledo and 3 nights in Madrid. Question: Is the parador now completely renovated? I have read that it should be re-done by now (May, 2008), but I was wondering how it will be when we arrive there. Also, we are planning to arrive in Lisbon and drive to Toledo, then onto Madrid. In Portugal we have reservations at the pousadas in Evora and Estremoz. Any suggestions in advance as to what are "must sees" in those towns will be appreciated. Thanks, so much, for the courtesy of any replies.
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:47 PM

The cave drawings near Evora.
Temple of Diana.

This is from the tourist board
A couple of kilometers east is the Cave of Escoural, a cave adorned with charcoal drawings of horses and other animals, the work of Cro-Magnon artists some 15,000 years ago. There are free tours organized on the site.

We visited Evora many years ago and it is one of our favorite Portuguese cities. We stayed in a horse barn. At one end the stalls were converted in hotel rooms which were richly appointed and at the far end horses were maintained.

I think the horses were entitled to the continental breakfast
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM

beachman,
The folks at the Parador in Toledo told me (but didn't promise O that the full renovation would be completed in the spring. I've seen pictures, and it will look very different-should be quite nice. I would expect that most, if not all rooms, will be ready in May.

Evora and Estremoz-two very interesting towns, two lovely pousadas-have experienced both. Have a great time!
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM

I'd agree with Maribel that Segovia would be a great trip. I liked Toledo too, but absolutely fell in love with Segovia.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks to All for your suggestions. When I am back, I shall post a report of our experiences in Portugal & Spain. We also are staying one week in Madeira. If anyone has suggestions regarding what to experience & where to eat, we are interested. We are going there because of our love of gardens and enjoyment of walks.